Thread: "A disk read error occurred" on new XP install

Beans

Unhappy "A disk read error occurred" on new XP install

Just did a clean install of Ubuntu after having run this configuration for several months. Ubuntu 8.04, KVM/qemu. Previously had no issue at all. After this install, got KVM/qemu set, set up the VM, and began the XP install. After the initial install, XP requires reboot. On boot, "a disk read error occurred". Re-did, no change. Wha....?

Beans

Re: "A disk read error occurred" on new XP install

I have the same problem

Beans
    Hidden!

I had the same problem while using Virtual Machine Manager UI. But when using a command line it seem to go beyond the failure point:

I used the image file created by the UI:

Code:
    kvm -m 512 -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot d /home/user/XP.img
    After the re-boot I used this command line, which boots from a hard disk

Code:
    kvm -m 512 -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot c /home/user/XP.img
    The last command is probably the only one required to continue the installation after the a disk read error occurred error.

Beans

Got exactly the same problem .
    The suggestion you gave does not work for me.

there is a bugreq open Bug #105195

Beans

I also have the same issue with WinXP. Probably because I cant put it in accelerate mode without undefining the vm and start all over again. That is why it would also be nice to have the possibility to add more XML elements to that libvirt template file, like --accelerate.
    It also could be due to missing 'vmware-like' txt-mode drivers on the Windows XP ISO image or boot CD.

Beans

Hello guys! I can help here. Haven't had time to add this to the wiki yet.
    The problem comes from virt-install that doesn't generate a qcow2 image. Use qemu-img to convert the image to qcow2 just after you run virt-install before starting the VM:

sudo qemu-img convert windows.qcow2 -O qcow2 windows2.qcow2

Once this is run on the image, I got the VM run fine accelerate without problems. I have run in some problems using KVM without virtio, so I would recommend you install virtio drivers for windows; you should also get a lot better network performances. Just google for virtio and windows, can't remember the address right now

Good luck, KVM rocks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by yuriry View Post
    I had the same problem while using Virtual Machine Manager UI. But when using a command line it seem to go beyond the failure point:

I used the image file created by the UI:

Code:
    kvm -m 512 -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot d /home/user/XP.img
    After the re-boot I used this command line, which boots from a hard disk

Code:
    kvm -m 512 -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot c /home/user/XP.img
    The last command is probably the only one required to continue the installation after the a disk read error occurred error.
    Hi yuriry: I have exactly the same problem and your solution worked for me. But I would prefer to use virt-manager to run my VM, is there a way to get this to work in the GUI? Since I completed the installation my VM will not start at all in virt-manager.

Beans

If your command line qemu is working but not under virt-manager, check the file permissions for your disk image. Make sure the user running virt-manager has write permissions. -G