Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

worked for sony vaio vgn-sz540; thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superstas View Post
    well 64 bit ubuntu 8.04 and i get SIOCSIFFLAGS: Connection timed out
    :/
    Look at my previous post! I am also running a clean install of 64bit Ubuntu, and after doing what I described, it now works!

I have to do:
    sudo make unload
    sudo make load

each time I boot up, but it works

Beans

ae it works
    tnx

Beans

Yes!

The Intel Wifi 5100 AGN works after the last update in 64-bit Intrepid Ibex Alpha 5 (to kernel 2.6.27.3).

Beans

Trying to get the wireless working on the girlfriends laptop; an ASUS X72V with an 5100. Seems like I can't get kill switch problem solved.

I began with Hardy and the method posted by wolframarnold on page to (compat-wireless and manual download of the firmware). Seems like the modules are loaded and all seems fine; if I run "sudo lshw -C network" I get;
    Code:
     *-network               
           description: Wireless interface
           product: Intel Corporation
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
           logical name: wmaster0
           version: 00
           serial: 00:16:ea:65:ba:74
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlagn latency=0 module=iwlagn multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
      *-network
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 02
           serial: 00:22:15:5d:c4:7d
           size: 100MB/s
           capacity: 1GB/s
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full ip=85.224.206.179 latency=0 link=yes module=r8169 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
    ...which I suppose is correct. Though when I look in nm-applet (or knetworkmanager) it doesn't list any wireless networks at all. dmesg gives me;

Code:
     35.990368] iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    [   35.990453] iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: restoring config space at offset 0x1 (was 0x100002, writing 0x100006)
    [   35.990653] firmware: requesting iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode
    [   36.069701] iwlagn: Radio disabled by HW RF Kill switch
    [   38.735302] NET: Registered protocol family 17
    [   63.836222] NET: Registered protocol family 10
    [   63.838874] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
    [   63.842890] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    I tried to uninstall the modules and upgrade to Intrepid 5, first 2.6.27-2-generic and then 2.6.27-3-generic. The problem is exactly the same there

Any suggestions?

Beans

I followed the instructions on the previous page and now it shows wireless networks but it doesn't list any in range. I have a HP DV5t with 5100. I tried 8.10 alpha 5 and it does work nearly perfect but I cant use that because the bluetooth doesn't work properly. so how do I display wireless networks in range?

Beans

Having exactly the same problem as Mastodront. Have been trying to get my Intel Wireless 5300 to work (in my Asus S37S) for several weeks now and the dmesg output seems to suggest it actually works for a couple of seconds - until the RF kill switch disables it again.

This can be comprehended by the fact that the WLAN LED gets turned on when booting up but gets disabled after about 10 seconds later (still booting). The networkmanager seems to have been able to get the wireless network list in this time but as such is unable to actually connect when the laptop is finished booting.

Unfortunately there's no such switch on my laptop and the BIOS doesn't provide any settings either. So we just have yet to figure out how to invoke that hidden switch

Beans

btw my card is working very well and wifi conection too, but there is still "sudo lshw -C network" Intel Unknown

its writen 'unknown' but the wifi is working, LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Lokiii View Post
    Thanks to theburningor, I finally have WiFi on my Acer 5930G. However, I also got the SIOCSIFFLAGS : connection timed out when trying to activate wlan0. However, after numerous reboots and repeating the steps in theburningor's guide, it finally worked.

I'm still not sure exactly what I did that solved the problem, but what I did was:

Follow the steps explained in post from theburningor.
    Reboot
    Start the terminal, navigate to the compat-wireless-2.6-old dir, then type:

Code:
    sudo make unload
    sudo make load
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    Then it worked perfectly for me! After doing this, I re-installed Ubuntu (as ive been doing so much crap to get the wifi card working), and went through that process again and it worked!

So, good luck all! This one worked for me at least! If the above steps dont work the first time, reboot and try again a few times

Cheers, and thanks loads!
    I had the same exact problems.

To everyone who has the SIOCSIFFLAGS problem, keep trying!. It took me two reinstalls and tons of times repeating the steps but it finally worked on my copy of Ubuntu 8.04 with the default kernel. Thanks, Lokiii.

[EDIT] It's not perfect, however. After a restart, it no longer works. It's a little touchy.
    Last edited by JSorrell; September 15th, 2008 at 03:53 AM.

Beans

hello all,

i'm not a Ubuntu user but a Debian user. So I'm not as lucky as you guys to have Intrepid Ibex's 2.6.27 kernel with the wifi 5100 driver already in it.

I'm currently using 2.6.26-1-686 kernel. With the drivers found here: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

and the instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5727196

anyway, i have a peculiar problem. Sometimes the wifi card gets configured. But a sure shot way of making it work is by running these commands in succession:

iwconfig wlan0 essid <my_essid> mode managed rate auto key <key_goes_here>
    iwconfig wlan0 essid <my_essid> mode auto rate auto key <key_goes_here>

Obviously the second command shouldn't work and it doesnt BUT for some stupid reason this forces the card to work correctly. But I am having problems with the driver dropping my wifi connection at times. Its quite rare but it does happens once a day.

When are we likely to see ndiswrapper support or decent working drivers for these cards?

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast