Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Beans

Re: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Lokii, when you boot u can see the current Kernel Versions and even chose which one to be loaded... Im only insisting so much on the kernel cause when I tried to put Mint5 fully operacional, i had like 4 different problems and all them were connected to the kernel version i Was using at that moment....

Beans

I have been trying to get the 5100 AGN working on the 64 bit version of Ubuntu
    I now see there were others who tried in vain and the majority gave up trying.
    As Windows XP has no trouble working with this card on my lap-top, I decided to revert to windows xp . Gradually I am discovering now why Linux dialects and Ububtu are no perfect replacement . Yoy really must be a guru to get things working -especially new hardware- which almost always is available on windows. Even then it fails with some cards and for the reason why nobody with any seniority seems approachable. And I can understand that : It's all for free...I keep using Ubuntu on my older desk-top . Perhaps in the future the linux comunities can think of a commercial development commodity , where you can buy working applications and drivers ?? If one of our aims is to break the monopoly of Gates on the pc o.s. platform , then providing free software that isn't at least as good will be no good. In this way there is still no competition and no drive for microsoft to make things cheaper. Still I have much respect for all of the people who dedicate their time towards these things , but introducing some commercial thinking and removing the religious edges may provide better results for many . ( I realise this is probably what they call in Holland "cursing in the church" , but there you are ) Best wishes , Wim
    Last edited by vulto; October 24th, 2008 at 08:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Lokiii View Post
    Not sure if there was a new kernel in there with the updates. I was in a hurry and didnt check! Can anyone confirm or deny this? Cuz Wifi isnt working at all now
    I just loaded 8.10 from the latest iso and it's 2.6.27-7.

After struggling with trying to load drivers and u-code in Hardy, without success, it was refreshing to have it pop up and find my wireless network, as well as others in the neighborhood.

However, even though the network manager icon says it's connected to my wireless network, it's not getting through the the applications, like firefox or snaptic, etc. I'm doing a static connection, but know the ip, dns, etc are good, as it's what I use with my wired version.

The only other thing I wonder about is if this could be related to wpa, as I do have security set. I've read some things about this being an issue.

My laptop is a asus m-70. Anybody have experience with this version and wpa?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, a quick follow-up. After playing with it for a while, several boot-ups, the wireless with wpa is working well, as is sound and video. So far so good. So, doing a complete re-install with the latest 8.10 iso seemed to do the trick.

Now to work on getting blue ray to function

Seattle Vic
    Asus M70VM-C1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

seattle vic: What sound card do you have?
    HP Pavilion dv4t
    Intel Core2Duo P7350 - 2GB DDR2 Ram - 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS
    Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN and Bluetooth(TM)
    250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard - LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by remu View Post
    seattle vic: What sound card do you have?
    Good question. The laptop is an ASUS M-70, and I presume the sound is part of the Intel chipset which is the pm45. Here's what lscpi says:

vic@vic-laptop:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9600M GS (rev a1)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    07:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
    07:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
    07:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
    07:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)

However, the newegg discription says:

Azalia compliant audio chip, with 3D effect & full duplex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Seattle Vic: Could you do me one more favour please. Go ahead and save this script and then run it. http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh. this will then post alsa debugging information out to a website. If you could post that, it would be great! I'm trying to figure out what Audio Codec is being used in your system. I am having sound issues even though we both are using the ICH9 Chipset.
    Thanks!
    HP Pavilion dv4t
    Intel Core2Duo P7350 - 2GB DDR2 Ram - 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS
    Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN and Bluetooth(TM)
    250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard - LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Seattle Vic: Could you do me one more favour please. Go ahead and save this script and then run it. http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh. this will then post alsa debugging information out to a website. If you could post that, it would be great! I'm trying to figure out what Audio Codec is being used in your system. I am having sound issues even though we both are using the ICH9 Chipset.
    Thanks!
    Sure. The laptop is currently packed up in my car and ready to head to the airport for its 1st business trip. (The large 17" screen seemed like a good idea until I put it in it's case for travel...). I'll (hopefully!) be able to hook up from my hotel room tonight and will send out the results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just in case there's anyone out there looking for help with this problem:

I am on a Dell Latitude E6400 with an Intel Wifi Link 5300.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron). I did exactly what post #62 said, and rebooted. The wifi light above my keyboard lit up while the kernel was loading, and left-clicking on the nm-applet in the menu bar (in Gnome) displays the accessible wireless networks quickly.

Thank you SO much to post #62!

-kedmond

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks!
    I tried to run the alsa script, but it got hung with the following msg:

Do you want to run this script? [y/n] : read: 263: Illegal option -e

I'll try and debug it tomorrow.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast