Thread: how to install emacs in kubuntu 7.10

Beans

Post how to install emacs in kubuntu 7.10

HI all,
    I'm in desperate need of installing emacs as it is not included in the live cd of the kubuntu 7.10 which i'm using now.

i tried packages.ubuntu.com, also getdeb.net to get the .deb file for installation but i cant access any of the site. it seems both this site is offline or something like this

now what can I do?
    plz help

Beans

Re: how to install emacs in kubuntu 7.10

Did you try install it with Adept?

Beans

Beans

Did you try sudo apt-get install emacs ?

Beans

i dont have direct internet connection. so what can i do?

also my friend has internet connection, i think i can use it but its very complicated (i'm totally newbie 2 linux). his ISP uses something like dial up i'm not sure because it has also wired connection. i really cant describe it the proper way, any suggession?

there's another way to get connected to internet, its also thru my another friend's connection (same room, i live in a university hall) but this time the problem is his ISP use a MAC base internet connection ie if u have the MAC which is in their database then u may use the internet. i can use the internet in windos xp by changing MAC but i dont know how to configure in linux. i tried the ifconfig hwclass etc but id did not work for me, it cant get the correct ip for that mac. can you tell me how can i use internet in this situation.

Beans

You could go to packages.ubuntu.com at your friends and download the emacs package. then take it to your home and install it. You should check for dependecies too. But basically you could do it like that.

Beans

that would be gr8 but did you check packages.ubuntu.com, i think it's down, any other source from where i can get the .deb file emacs?

thx in advance