Thread: [SOLVED] Slash Screen Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

[SOLVED] Slash Screen Problems

Well I made a new partition with gparted and now when I boot I don't get the load bar splash screen. I get the first one that goes side to side but then it drops down to text only. I get the load bar on shutdown though.

Edit: The title should be "Splash Screen Problems"
    Last edited by thegodfaza; August 3rd, 2008 at 04:31 AM.

Beans

Re: Slash Screen Problems

that could mean you messed up you xorg.conf
    to fix enter into the text only screen
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install xserver-xorg
    then reboot, did that fix it?

Beans
    Distro

Nope. Didn't work.

Edit: I should probably also mention that when I repartitioned I removed my SWAP partition and deleted the entry from fstab. Don't really need one with 2 gigs of ram.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I belive you will eventually run into problems running without a swap partiton. I have 2Gb ram and entering free in a treminal this is the result:

Code:
    free
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:       2025152    1925972      99180          0      45184    1099976
    -/+ buffers/cache:     780812    1244340
    Swap:      5662872        660    5662212
    As you can see swap is being used. I currently have running, Firefox, 2 terminals, 2 instances of Acrobat, and 2 instances of nautilus. It's not a lot, usually I have a lot more running. I'm running Intrepid alpha3 and I'm limited to only 2 workspaces because compiz only works occasionally.

Jim

Beans

not having the swap partition is most likely the problem you should back up your files if you can access them somehow and reinstsall ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Not seeing the little load bar isn't big enough to make me reinstall the whole OS. I just like seeing it instead of text. And I haven't had any problems running without a swap partition. I usually disable it while installing on my machines since they are all +2 Gigs of ram. I have just never removed a swap after having it on the OS so I think I may have missed something to modify.

Quote Originally Posted by weweboom View Post
    not having the swap partition is most likely the problem you should back up your files if you can access them somehow and reinstsall ubuntu
    I could also use gparted to make a new swap partition then write an entry into fstab for it.
    Last edited by thegodfaza; August 3rd, 2008 at 08:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfaza View Post
    I could also use gparted to make a new swap partition then write an entry into fstab for it.
    And if you want your usplash back, you have to do a little more. Most people lose the usplash when they resize their swap partition and the UUID changes. I should imagine you did because you got rid of your swap partition.

Anyway, have a look in my first post in this thread for the fix. If you want the full story, and why this is happening, follow the links (especially the launchpad one) that I provide there.

Beans
    Distro

That works great. Thx.