Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: (Install) Re-assure me please...

Beans

Re: (Install) Re-assure me please...

Instead of committing your whole D: drive, consider installing using WUBI.

http://wubi-installer.org/

I am running in WUBI-installed Ubuntu right now. It's my first go at it, and WUBI is an incredible starter drug for Ubuntu, since it requires no commitment and can be removed from the machine by uninstalling from Windows. It's a much better option than trying in VMWare, because you don't have to use hardware emulation (so my 3-D card works the way it should).

Basically, WUBI is a dual boot option that runs Ubuntu in a virtual disk stored on one of your hard drives as a file. But it isn't virtualized any other way, so you get pretty much all the benefits and drawbacks of a full Ubuntu install, but with an option to uninstall the whole thing and start over.

On the other hand, I have been using Ubuntu for two days and have moved my entire family off of Vista Home and onto Ubuntu accounts. If everything works well for the next month or so, Vista may be coming off my machine entirely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: (Install) Re-assure me please...

I made the full install...!! Wow! - this is nice! Everything went fine. The installation process worked smoothly without any problems... I'm really starting to enjoy this. This operating system looks very impressive...Thanks for Ubuntu! If all continues to go well, Windows will go bye-bye relatively soon...

Beans

Re: (Install) Re-assure me please...

glad you're satisfied. If you are like me, you probably wil want to begin fine-tuning everything to the way you want. A biggie for me is the grub bootloader. I use a program installable through Synaptic Package Manager called startupmanager. (After you install it it ends up right next to where you found Synaptic). This let me set the screen that first comes up with all those options. My grub boot screen now only has two choices (Ubuntu or Windows), I took out the memory test and recovery mode choices, and I set the default timeout to 2 seconds (instead of 10), with ubuntu being the default.
    Also, if you want to set Ubuntu to autologin to your desktop/wireless, the answers are out there, but can be a little tricky/guilttrip laden to find them on these forums. If you are interested, I would be willing to walk you through later this day. Keep on keeping on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123