Thread: Run Windows Live Writer in Ubuntu Using Wine

Beans

Run Windows Live Writer in Ubuntu Using Wine

Hi!
    I want to use Windows Live Writer in Ubuntu, currently it is the only app due to which I have to go back using Windows. I have tried other Ubuntu blogging tools but none are as good as WLW. It is possible to run Office 2007 MS using Wine. Plz help me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Run Windows Live Writer in Ubuntu Using Wine

Try to learn how to use OpenOffice.

Once you've done that. No need for Office 2007

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Doesn't look like anyone has been able to get it running under wine. Its a Dot net 2.0 app which might take a while to get running. Keep in mind you can search wine's appdb for applications you are interested in at http://appdb.winehq.org

Also it appears no one has been able to get it running in Mono either due to dependencies on IE and some DLLs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have recently discovered winetricks (that's the name of the app script) and it has .net 2 as a option to install under wine. I will give this a try and see how far I get.

RZ
    DESKTOP/InteCore2Duo/IntelD945GNL/2GigRAM/500GBsataHDD
    LAPTOP/AMD.Turion1.8Ghz/2GigRAM/ATI200M/BCMAirNetWIFI
    RUNNING(both)/Ubuntu8.10X64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: Run Windows Live Writer in Ubuntu Using Wine

I have found a way to install Windows live writer in Ubuntu, take a look at this page http://awesome-tech.blogspot.com/200...writer-in.html but you have to install virtualbox to run.
    Last edited by hariharakumar; January 7th, 2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: given wrong link

Beans

I could install office 2007 on ubuntu hardy. Word, excel, power point works well but a bit buggy. I installed it to be able to use onenote on ubuntu, and it works flawlessly. Access doesnt work.

I followed the instructions in this link:
    http://menelkir.wordpress.com/2008/0...07-using-wine/

i hope its help.
    Last edited by luisasolarf; January 10th, 2009 at 09:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iampriteshdesai View Post
    Hi!
    I want to use Windows Live Writer in Ubuntu, currently it is the only app due to which I have to go back using Windows. I have tried other Ubuntu blogging tools but none are as good as WLW. It is possible to run Office 2007 MS using Wine. Plz help me!
    STOP THE SEARCH
    I tried everything...all clients and apps...virtualbox was way too complicated for me. then i remembered Flock
    its an amazing browser for social media and it has a blog editor which is really good. it is no WLW, but it has multiple accounts management and most other features. and the best part is its available for linux.