Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation problem !!!

Beans

Exclamation Installation problem !!!

Hello to the forum , i am trying to install the ubuntu ultimate edition from the live cd to the external hard drive i have with the inter graded wizard but when i select the partition i want i get this error

No root file system is defined.

Please correct this from the partitioning menu.

the only option that would go forward is to select the entire drive but i have a lot of data in it so i would like to install it in the partition i make. Can any one help me with this please ? THANK you a lot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Installation problem !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisgr View Post
    Hello to the forum , i am trying to install the ubuntu ultimate edition from the live cd to the external hard drive i have with the inter graded wizard but when i select the partition i want i get this error

No root file system is defined.

Please correct this from the partitioning menu.

the only option that would go forward is to select the entire drive but i have a lot of data in it so i would like to install it in the partition i make. Can any one help me with this please ? THANK you a lot
    Hi and when you select the partition you want then you will need to edit the partition and set it to mount as "/" this is the symbol for root.

Beans

You have to specify to mount point of your main filesystem as "/". / is like C:\ in Windows. Don't forget about your SWAP partition.

Beans

thank you mate another question is swap partition nececary with 2gb of ram? if yes how many gb?

thanx again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

thank you mate another question is swap partition nececary with 2gb of ram? if yes how many gb?

thanx again
    If you intend to hibernate or suspend then yes you will need swap.

Beans

Ok thank you for the support, i am a newbie so i need all the help possible Your forum is the best there is THANX

Beans

Don't forget to mark your topic as solved.

Beans

my friend its not solved yet.... i sed newbie here i mess it up....

i did get it to install ubuntu at the partition at the external hard drive but now it refuses to boot up I can boot only from dvd ... not even vista... i will post more more about it in a few i have to resatart again and copy what exactly is the error i get be back in few

Beans

i did get it to install ubuntu at the partition at the external hard drive but now it refuses to boot up I can boot only from dvd ... not even vista... i will post more more about it in a few i have to resatart again and copy what exactly is the error i get be back in few

p.s. i did a linux partition not an ntfs ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It sounds like the grub did not get installed. If you are installing to a external drive this may help
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...20hard%20disks
    Because the grub will need to be installed on the external drive because if you remove the drive then the system will receive the grub error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast