Thread: No display, Ubuntu not loading - dead video card?

Beans

Arrow No display, Ubuntu not loading - dead video card?

Hey guys, thought you might be able to help me out...

I dual boot Ubuntu (for me) and XP (for my game-playing lady-friend), and my PC recently died and I'm trying to work out why.

It happened while she was playing games... she said the visuals glitched up (turned into "a patchwork quilt of colour") and then the whole thing turned off. Now whenever I turn the computer on, it beeps and the fans power up, but nothing appears on the display -- no POST or anything.

So I figured I had a dead video card. Made sense to me.

The thing is, when I power up the computer and leave it to boot up (GRUB defaults to Ubuntu), I don't get any login-screen sound (*ba-da-dum!*) and none of the activity lights do anything... so to me it seems like the computer isn't starting up, video or no!

Would a dead video card stop Ubuntu from loading? Is this even a dead video card? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

zioroboco

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No display, Ubuntu not loading - dead video card?

I think its a problem with the monitor. Some computers (most I think) will shout beeps that describe specific errors with long and short beeps. You have to go to your computer's manufacturer to find out how to decode them. Try testing with another monitor maybe?
    Registered Linux user number 438485.
    Machine registration number 344277.
    Ubuntu User number 10798.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sounds like a dead video card, but like mevets said, there should be some beeps
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge"

Beans

That's why I'm confused -- no beepcode, just one a-okay beep!

But then after beeping, nothing...

Which is kinda why I wanted to know if a dead video card will somehow stop Ubuntu from loading... because that's the only explanation I can come up with.

I don't want to go replace the video card to find out it was bad ram or something.

Beans

Sorry, I just spoke to my witness and she says it didn't just die after it glitched, but rather the image stayed messed up, and she had to do a hard reboot.

Then after that, no display.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

You didn't give any specs, but is it possible that you would have on board graphics that you could enable?
    Also, I wouldn't rule out a bad memory stick or a toes-up (dead) mobo. Well, not quite dead but getting there.

Good luck
    Some computers are like Slinkys. Not really much good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
    Don't be discouraged! Remember, an amateur built the Ark. Experts built the Titanic.
    Registered Linux User #434788