Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Laptop in Australia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux Laptop in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
    If you're not looking for a powerful laptop, you could check out the Asus EEpc which ships with either Linux or XP...but I can't help but look at it as more of a kid's machine.
    the default OS on the EeePC may seem a bit toyish, but i got rid of that fast and installed Debian (DebianEeePC to be exact) on mine. its absolutely wonderful. it is now a real laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    This place also offers Linux/Ubuntu preinstalled on its notebooks and desktops.

http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/default.asp
    Awesome site. It's like Dell's, but with cool stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I think we worry too much about the "pre-installed" issue (although I really don't understand why Dell, HP and the others that sell Linux on their machines in other markets don't give us the same choice). The important thing for me is being able to buy hardware that is 100% Linux compatible.

I have recently bought a Linux Acer Aspire One (from DigitalCameras.com.au). But like someone else said, the preinstalled distro (Linpus Lite in this case) isn't very functional. I had Xubuntu installed within the first hour. Acer's specs for the Linux version of this machine are (IMO) too low - especially the poor SSD. If I was doing it again, I'd buy the Windows version (120Gb HDD and more RAM) and install my distro of choice.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Distro

Hey Aubrey, good to see you here.

I know what you mean about wanting linux compatible hardware.

I'm sure the standard pre-install arguments are known by know, but for me specifically:
    1) I am currently in need of a laptop

2) I am currently time-poor
    Though I love to break stuff, I can't justify the time right now, and I don't want to risk accidentally buying some foxconn-type piece of hardware, or spend the time researching linux-friendly laptop hardware AND laptops which suit my needs AND have this hardware. I want a linux-friendly laptop.

3) I am currently(though usually) $ poor
    Less $ for windows mean more $ for better specs

The site referred to me by geekygirl includes a Ubuntu pre-install option, as well as the option to [like the dell site] alter many of the specs of the machine. If it doesn't work with Ubuntu, I can send it back. No (direct, anyway) windows tax, no half-functional linux install.

*EDIT*
    Admittedly, I've yet to buy anything yet. I'll post what happens when I do. Any other suggestions are still appreciated.
    Last edited by AndyCee; August 18th, 2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: "Admittedly.*"

Beans
    Distro

Finalish update:

*sigh* I had such high hopes.

My new pioneer dreambook is very nice. I am disappointed, however, because:

1) I was happy to see the Ubuntu boot screen. Very unhappy to be faced with the normal log-in screen. "Why?", you may well ask? "Because", I would reply, "I wasn't given a username". Anywhere. WTF am I expected to do with that? Being just savvy enough I was able to reboot into root terminal and add myself as a user from there. Not impressed. I did detect a 'test' account from there.

2) No drivers installed (in particular - video card). Not a big problem(detected instantly) - but seriously. Who sells a computer without the drivers? How hard would it have been to install/customize some of the fundamentals? Oh, there was a Windows driver CD included - which was nice of them.

3) Aubrey was right (Dammit!). No sound from speakers(workaround - headphones or external speakers). I half-expected something not to work with Ubuntu, but what's the point of packaging a piece of hardware that doesn't work? Admittedly, there is a driver disclaimer on the site.

*sigh*
    *sighsighsighsigh*

On the plus side - It works well for all I need it for (though wireless is patchy at uni [wpa enterprise and hidden SSID]). Added to that I paid no Windows tax. It's very fast, is exactly what I want in a laptop (in terms of specs & the rest of the hardware)

I'm happy to have contributed to the "non windows" laptop purchase statistic, but may as well have selected "no-os". When pre-installation of Ubuntu reaches the level of quality of Windows, I'll be happy. Not until then, though. I appreciate that Pioneer have taken a step to appeal to a relatively small market, but it seems to have been a very lazy one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

VGComputing sells Linux on laptops and desktops:

http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12