Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Install VMware Fusion Tools

Beans

Can't Install VMware Fusion Tools

Hi, 1st day ever using Ubuntu.

I have an iMac 20" 4GB RAM Intel Core 2 Duo (alu), about 8 months old.

Were using parallels, but really struggled to install Windows & Ubuntu, so I got VMware fusion, installed both Windows XP & Ubuntu without any problems.

As you all know, Ubuntu at it's basic screen settings isn't bad, but I want to / have to install VMware Fusion Tools.

I'm no expert, but I learn fairly fast & can generally solve common problems easily. I understand to install VMware F Tools I need to have Super Admin Rights (or something similar). I went & changed the root folders password to my own, also gave myself root admin priviledges, but to no avail. In the Terminal Command, whenever I type in (su -), I'm then asked for my password, but when I've typed that it, access is denied / or wrong password or something.

Please someone help, I spent 5 hours today (googled it, help docs etc), did exactly everything as I read it, still nothing.

I know there's more to Ubuntu than what I've experienced.

VMware Fusion 1.1.3 (94249)
    Leopard, fully updated
    Newest Ubuntu Version

Thanx

Beans

Re: Can't Install VMware Fusion Tools

Quote Originally Posted by obelix112za View Post
    I went & changed the root folders password to my own, also gave myself root admin priviledges, but to no avail. In the Terminal Command, whenever I type in (su -), I'm then asked for my password, but when I've typed that it, access is denied / or wrong password or something.
    Not really sure what you mean when you say you "changed the root folders password to my own". Help me understand what you were trying to do, and exactly how you went about it.

Perhaps you just need a heads-up on ubuntu security. The user credentials you were prompted for, and entered during, the ubuntu install are for the admin user. That user id has superuser access through sudo. Can you log in as that user? If so, can you successfully run sudo?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You do not need to modify the root password, not do you ever need to login as root. You should use 'sudo' to run commands with root permissions.

To install the tools, first upgrade you system:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    reboot if prompted. After that, install a few things you might need to compile the modules in the tools package:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    Next select to install vmware tools from the menus and in the terminal, navigate to the virtual cdrom:
    Code:
    cd /media/cdrom
    On the virtual cdrom there is a script you should run with root permissions to install the tools:
    Code:
    sudo ./vmware-install.pl
    Say 'yes' to all the prompts.

Beans

When I say gave myself root priviledges, I went into Users & Groups & changed the password in the root account to be the same as my own account.

I tried updating, this is what happens

Last edited by obelix112za; August 1st, 2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: .jpg didn't display properly

Beans

My password doesn't seem to work, I've tried sudo & everything.

Also remember, I'm very new to this, never really had to use terminal before, so it's probably a stupid mistake I'm making.

Beans

If I don't answer back soon, I'm working all weekend, so probably only back next week some time...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I say gave myself root priviledges, I went into Users & Groups & changed the password in the root account to be the same as my own account.
    Which should not be done. There is no reason to set the root password in Ubuntu.

I tried updating, this is what happens
    It looks like sudo might be broken... for one thing, your password should not be displayed in the terminal.

When you enter the command you will be prompted to enter your user password
    Code:
    cyberdork33@Ubuntu-Virtual:~$ sudo apt-get update
    [sudo] password for cyberdork33:
    You will not be able to see what you are typing. type your user password and hit enter, and the command will execute.

Beans

I think I got it installed, but how do I know it is really installed? What difference should it make?
    Sound stupid, but I really don't know...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think I got it installed, but how do I know it is really installed? What difference should it make?
    Sound stupid, but I really don't know...
    It won't lock your mouse/keyboard in the window... you can freely move it in and out and click on things.

You can select much higher screen resolutions...

Beans

I am delighted. Got it installed. Now I'm hooked.

What bugs me now is that I thought (for whatever reason), once I have that installed I can change in the Appearance prefs on the Visual Effects Tab, the extra option, but for some reason I can't. Could it be because I'm running Ubuntu in VMware Fusion?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast