Thread: [SOLVED] Sitecom WL-141 installation using NDISwrapper (Hardy Heron)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] Sitecom WL-141 installation using NDISwrapper (Hardy Heron)

I had difficulty connecting a Sitecom WL-141 wireless PCI card to my LAN, so I tried following this guide. Since I had this card working under Dapper a year ago or so, I know it should be able to connect. Back then I used the drivers found here. The pciid of this card is the same as that of the WL-141 (i.e. 1260:3886).

Following aforementioned guide, I did the following (after I blacklisted the prism54pci in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist)

Code:
    cd /home/<username>/Desktop/<driver folder>
    sudo ndiswrapper –i PRISMA00.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper –m
    gksu gedit /etc/modules
    In the last file I entered ndiswrapper followed by a return, then I saved, exited and rebooted.

However, I still couldn't connect and what's more, the driver that Hardy used by default (named prism54pci) was still in use, even though I blacklisted it.

Does this mean the driver I load with NdisWrapper is the same as the one that was installed by default, or did I do something wrong and isn't the new driver installed yet? And if I did install the correct driver, but still it doesn't work, is there any other way to get the card working?

Small update: running ndiswrapper -l provides me with the following output:

Code:
    prisma00: driver installed
         device (1260:3886) present (alternate driver: prism54)
    so I would expect the device manager/network manager/lshw to show me prisma00 as the current driver, instead of prism54pci...
    Last edited by tijmz; July 31st, 2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added Ubuntu version

Beans

Re: Sitecom WL-141 installation using NDISwrapper (Hardy Heron)

It looks like you used the wrong name to blacklist that module, maybe because the name has changed between when that guide was written. You should put "blacklist prism54" in your /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist--the module is now called prism54 and not prism54pci it looks like. Try that and reboot.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply.

The prism54 was blacklisted by default - I should've mentioned that. Right now the blacklist contains entries for both prism54pci and prism54.

If I check the details of my wireless card, prism54pci is still listed as the current driver, though (despite the output of ndiswrapper -l saying prisma00 is connected to the card).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tijmz View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

The prism54 was blacklisted by default - I should've mentioned that. Right now the blacklist contains entries for both prism54pci and prism54.

If I check the details of my wireless card, prism54pci is still listed as the current driver, though (despite the output of ndiswrapper -l saying prisma00 is connected to the card).
    Your original output from ndiswrapper said:
    prisma00: driver installed
    device (1260:3886) present (alternate driver: prism54)
    Which means the prism54 module is being used, not the prism54pci module nor the "prisma00" ndiswrapper driver.

I don't know why the blacklisting is not working, but to prevent that "prism54" module from loading for sure you can do the following:
    Code:
    sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/prism54/prism54.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/prism54/prism54.ko_backup

Beans
    Distro

I tried your suggestion, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I rebooted the system, but even though the file is renamed, ndiswrapper -l gives the exact same result (listing prism54 as the alternate driver). Checking the wireless connection via the GUI also gives the same results as before:

I tried doing as you suggested, but using prism54pci instead of prism54 in the directory and filenames. However, there's no directory for this driver. To add to my confusion, the directory /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless does list the file p54pci.ko (and not something like prism54pci.ko).

Edit: I'll try blacklisting this p54pci module and see what happens.
    Last edited by tijmz; August 1st, 2008 at 03:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

That last attempt worked. I blacklisted p54pci and now the loaded driver is ndiswrapper. Wireless connection established.

Many thanks!