Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Wireless freezes occasionally....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: [SOLVED] Wireless freezes occasionally....

Hey Cyber. Thanks for checking back - I need to browse for a while and actually see if it makes any difference.

Btw, when you used the word 'compile' when talking about installing Ndiswrapper, that kind of threw me off. I thought compiling was a more indepth work with the driver code etc. That word has always scared me off for some reason.

I've done some installations like this one here and there; I lean towards Synaptic because it's so easy to make mistakes using the terminal and more often than not, you have no clue why errors are being thrown back at you.

But it's nice to have the latest version of something too.

Thanks, Frank B.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Okay, I've been browsing off and on since last night and so far, no freezes.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Brightbelt View Post
    Btw, when you used the word 'compile' when talking about installing Ndiswrapper, that kind of threw me off. I thought compiling was a more indepth work with the driver code etc. That word has always scared me off for some reason.
    compiling is just turning source code into binary data that the computer can execute. the deb files from the repos (and other locations) usually already contain the binaries. Other systems like red hat, use an rpm format that is similar to deb, and still others always compile from source like gentoo.

I've done some installations like this one here and there; I lean towards Synaptic because it's so easy to make mistakes using the terminal and more often than not, you have no clue why errors are being thrown back at you.

But it's nice to have the latest version of something too.
    Generally, if the version in the repo works, then that is good enough. You should only compile applications yourself if you are getting an updated (or older) version in order to fix a problem or gain some new function that you need.

Okay, I've been browsing off and on since last night and so far, no freezes.
    Good deal!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12