Thread: [SOLVED] Is it possible to run a "virtual mac" on my linux desktop?

Beans

[SOLVED] Is it possible to run a "virtual mac" on my linux desktop?

Solution: I'm not going to bother

Hello all, I tried some googling but the results weren't spectacular or very hopeful. I was hoping maybe one of you know something more than I was able to find.

Basically I'd just like to either run mac in a virtual desktop on top of linux if possible, or duel boot if it's not. I've run into a problem that some of the javascript code I've been writing works well on both windows and linux but bombs out on the macs. I've tried to run it both in safari and firefox on mac but it refuses to work, and I can't sit there and troubleshoot it on a coworker's computer.

Just in case anyone knows: My ajax requests are failing when being called from a child to opener. It works on all other OS's but mac.
    Last edited by skelooth; July 31st, 2008 at 06:08 PM.
    http://patrickavella.com -> blah blah blah blog

Beans

Re: Is it possible to run a "virtual mac" on my linux desktop?

btw I do have access to a legal copy of Mac OS, and would prefer to stay away from any warez. Especially considering this is for a work computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Arrow Re: Is it possible to run a "virtual mac" on my linux desktop?

Have you tried using qemu or virtualbox. it may work. it is available in add/remove program manager. if it is not listed make sure you click the drop down box and select 'all available'. let me know if this works.

Beans

Beans

Thanks guys, that helps immensely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just want to address the sensitivity here on this issue.

The legality of running Mac OS on non-Apple hardware (even a legal copy of OS X, or in a VM on non-Apple hardware) is a bit of grey area in the law (the EULA forbids this), and it is the Ubuntuforums position (judging on past action) that installing OS X and such on non-Apple hardware is not tolerated. Please keep this in mind while posting.

That being said, there is no good solution as of yet for running OS X in an emulator / VM. PearPC is probably your closest bet.
    Last edited by cyberdork33; July 31st, 2008 at 05:07 PM.

Beans

Do you think I should remove the link then

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tuxxy View Post
    Do you think I should remove the link then
    as long as we are talking about using PearPC on Apple hardware, I think we are OK.

Beans

Yes I thought that too, I only provided the link in the first place because I assumed he was using apple hardware

Beans

You can remove the link if you like.

I'm having problems mounting the mac os x leopard install disc. I tried mounting it as auto, hfs, and hfsplus but no luck. It worked seemingly randomly with hfs once, but now I can't get it to mount again.

I have a very big quarrel with Apple's business model, especially the restrictive hardware licensing, but that's a political topic far beyond the scope of me just wanting to debug some javascript and css code.

I don't know what I'm going to do at this point... the Mac's are causing a problem for me both on our intranet site and when viewing our company website. It seems like the only thing I'm going to be able to do is sit down and annoy someone who's on a mac.... ?

Why does apple support open source licensing if it's a proponent of the most restrictive hardware licensing laws ever conceived by our generation?