Thread: any way to automate desktop cleaning?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

any way to automate desktop cleaning?

Hi, first post here. Thanks for all the solutions I've already found here, hoping i can figure this one out too.

so there's a program called desktop teleporter for windows (and another called belvedere, apparently). But, I recently went 100% windows free and I really want to find some sort of program like it for Ubuntu.

What it does:
    In a nutshell, you assign different kinds of files to different folders on the computer, and when you drop one on to the desktop (but i think only the desktop) it automatically moves it to the assigned folder. so, when you download an .avi it automatically saves it to a movies folder, or whatever.

is there such a thing for Ubuntu? I'm a total n00b and I'm hoping for a program that's available to install either thru add/remove or apt-get. I know I could probably program something, but I had barely opened a terminal before about two months ago and I'm still working on the basics.

so

Thanks!

Beans

Re: any way to automate desktop cleaning?

've created an open source, Belvedere/Hazel-inspired project that I'm calling "Maid". If you have RubyGems installed (typical if you have Ruby), it just takes a single command to install:

Code:
    sudo gem install maid --pre
    # And if you don't have RubyGems, this should set you straight:
    # sudo apt-get install rubygems
    Specifying --pre will install pre-release versions, the Maid release candidate version in this case. The first stable release should be coming out within the next week, and I would love to have your input and opinions.

There's more info at http://github.com/benjaminoakes/maid and http://rubygems.org/gems/maid

Maid is based on some code I had written for myself. Eventually, it turned into something I thought others might find useful, so I packaged it up for others to use on Linux and the Mac. I hope it's useful for you.