Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardware advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hardware advice

hi there

i am planning on building myself a Computer, it will be running Hardy or whatever the most recent release is when i build it (sometime near christmas)

i have chose the components i could use, i would just like someone to look over them and see if im over doing it a bit or even if there not good enough.

I would like to have quick access to applications such as Open office, Gimp, Kate, google earth and firefox, and i would like ALL compiz effects to run smoothly, i will not be playing games, and i will be writing and compiling programs. And i would like to not have to wait long for loading applications, and i will be multitasking.

by the way the components are listed in a small html file i did this so i could easily link to them (for my own use) the HTML file can be found here

http://nick.baskerville.googlepages.com/comp.html

thanks

also this is my first build and i am new to this sort of thing (computer hardware) so please tell me if i have picked components that will not be compatible
    Last edited by metalmaniac248; July 30th, 2008 at 10:15 PM.

Beans

Re: Hardware advice

I'm not familiar with AMD hardware, but from what I can tell, the hardware itself looks fully compatible. I didn't check physical size, but it would be a good idea to go over that as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

- you may be able to go faster with the ram eg. 1066mhz
    - I have never liked MSI (quality/support issues), but that might be my own prejudices.
    - i have never liked WD either (quality issues), but that might also be my own prejudices... and go bigger, you will fill 320 too quickly (if you are into media) 500 is probably only 10$ more.
    - spend a little more on the power supply, maybe something with a thermostatic fan? quiet computers are nice computers.
    - get a nice heat-pipe cooler for the CPU, with PWM fan. again, quiet computers are nice computers.
    - there is alot of venting in that case, my mom has the same one, it is full of cooling holes and does not trap noise all that well, make sure your components are quiet.

looks good otherwise.

Beans
    Distro

thanks for the advice guys, i will look into the things you said, as it will be in a small space so being nice and cool will probably be a good thing.

Beans
    Distro

ok i have chosen a new HDD but could you please sugest a PSU and a heat pipe cooler.

the updated list with the new HDD is here

http://metalmaniac248videos.googlepages.com/comp.html

Beans
    Distro

i would just like your opinion on something,

the main motivation behind me building my computer myself is that when it needs updating i will no exactly what to expect inside,

but i have been thinking, if i for instance got a Ubuntu computer from dell, would i get any nasty surprises when i open it up in the future or will everything be standard.

Beans

Nice system metalmaniac, great choice you made with AMD, I think it will run great and got similar specs in one of my systems. Good price too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I also recommend that you get a uATX mobo based off of nvidia rather than AMD as nvidia is more compatible.

Larger hdd, definitely. I guess you are going to run 64 bit Ubuntu seeing that you have 4GB RAM.

If you are going to game with this PC the 8600GT might be a better choice.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans

If you can only get an ATI one thoguh I run two ATI 690G mobos without fault buyt ye nvidia are good especially ther video cards

Beans
    Distro

thanks for your replies,

however since then i have found a very nice site called "dinopc" they make very cheap custom PC's and you can choose to have no OS so i can Ubuntu when i get it,

i think this may be the wiser choice as i have never been inside a computer b4, and then hopefully when the DinoPC system needs updating i will have had the opurtunity to take apart a computer,

anyway these are the specs of a DinoPC computer i have designed

CPU

Intel® Core 2 Duo E8400

CPU cooler

Thermaltake Golden Orb II

Motherboard

Asus P5N-MX

Memory

4GB DDR2 800mhz (2x 2GB)

HDD

500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive

20x DVD±RW DL S-ATA Lightscribe

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 512MB

400W PSU

19" widescreen LCD monitor

No Operating System

http://dinopc.com

£456

am i right in assuming this system will be more than adequate for running Ubuntu smoothly efficiently and with the advanced desktop effects of Compiz Fusion?
    Last edited by metalmaniac248; July 31st, 2008 at 11:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast