Thread: The nvidia graphics card...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question The nvidia graphics card...

I have downloaded the driver file from the Nvidia website. I have followed the directions on the page, until step 3. Step 3 says "type sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1.run to install the driver". Whaaa???? I don't understand exactly what it means.

I typed it in Terminal, but it couldn't open the file. I typed it after I typed 'su', but I got the same error. I allowed execution on the file and then opened it and clicked 'Run', but nothing happened. I opened it again and clicked 'Run in Terminal', and then I got the error "must be run as root". I opened it by typing 'gksudo nautilus' in Terminal and then go to the file in the 'root' window, ran it in Terminal, but then got the error "X server is running".

What else do I have to do to install the graphics card driver? Exactly where do I have to type 'sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1.run'?

I installed Ubuntu using Wubi, one time, and installed the "Nvidia accelerated graphics driver" from 'Hardware Drivers' in 'System', and it resulted in a low resolution. The reason why I want to install the driver downloaded form the Nvidia website is because I don't want to have a low maximum resolution, anymore.

By the way, the website is http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._96.43.07.html
    Last edited by Animeniac; July 30th, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: The nvidia graphics card...

what graphics card are you using?

(eg 8600, 9800, .. ) ?

try searching the forums for:

nvidia driver 8500

(or whatever card you use)

Beans
    Distro

My graphics card is Geforce 4 MX 4000.

Beans
    Distro

Never mind. I downloaded and installed EnvyNG and used it to automatically download the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. When the computer restarted, it came out with a low resolution, but I am able to set it to a higher resolution in the 'NVIDIA X Server Settings' in 'System', so I did.

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: The nvidia graphics card...

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniac View Post
    Never mind. I downloaded and installed EnvyNG and used it to automatically download the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. When the computer restarted, it came out with a low resolution, but I am able to set it to a higher resolution in the 'NVIDIA X Server Settings' in 'System', so I did.
    Could we mark this as solved then?
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.