Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help : Unable to authenticate su

Beans

Re: Help : Unable to authenticate su

Dreamerman, did you have a chance to read that link I gave about Ubuntu's policy on root access? Using "sudo -i" is exactly the same as "su" except it uses your user password, instead of the root password. There is really no reason you should need to use "su" to get a root shell. Iaculallad's method of course works, but it is a workaround that gives the same result as "sudo -i". Is there some special reason you want to use "su" instead of "sudo -i"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    Dreamerman, did you have a chance to read that link I gave about Ubuntu's policy on root access? Using "sudo -i" is exactly the same as "su" except it uses your user password, instead of the root password. There is really no reason you should need to use "su" to get a root shell. Iaculallad's method of course works, but it is a workaround that gives the same result as "sudo -i". Is there some special reason you want to use "su" instead of "sudo -i"?
    Hi thanks. Yes, I have read the rule on root. I managed to solve my problem & will be mindful of Ubuntu's policy (& respect it). I will learn more of Ubuntu & how to deploy it properly over coming months. Thanks again.

CHeers

Beans

That's your option as a Linux user, to open the root account if you wanted it to and disregard the policy with regard to setting Root password.
    It's you're computer - It's you're choice. But just be sure to set a STRONG enigmatic password for that account.
    Last edited by iaculallad; August 2nd, 2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Corrected a mispelled word.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by iaculallad View Post
    That's your option as a Linux user, to open the root account if you wanted it to and disregard the policy with regard to setting Root password.
    It's you're computer - It's you're choice. But just be sure to set a STRONG enigmatic password for that account.
    Thanks again. I am new to Linux & tend to follow every reasonable help offered. Linux is so different to Win in terms of choices. I love it & aim to be a full convert (ie XPless) soon.

Cheers again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by iaculallad View Post
    But just be sure to set a STRONG enigmatic password for that account.
    That goes for any account that has access to root privileges.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123