Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Prettier rEFIt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb A Prettier rEFIt

For those of you doing a dual-boot of Ubuntu and OS X (and are already using rEFIt, which I would strongly recommend), I have put together a set of changes you can make to the rEFIt conf and icons, to make the interface better-looking and more Mac-like.

rEFIt-icons.zip

Put those files in their locations, as indicated by the folder hierarchy. DO NOT REPLACE THE EFI FOLDER ENTIRELY! Simply pull the files out of the archive and insert them in their respective folders. Note that you might want to rename the old icons before inserting, to avoid losing them to replacing, if you wish to go back.

Then, modify the refit.conf file. Here's what I did:
    • Under the line that says "#disable all", I put disable tools (no #) to get a simpler interface. This removes the row of small icons below the boot options.
    • I removed the "#"s from the lines beginning with "selection_big" and "selection_small". Note that the icons have underscores _ instead of hyphens - in their names, so be sure to change the hyphens to underscores in the conf file.
    • I also removed the "#" in front of hidebadges internal. That will remove some extra clutter.
    • Under "#hideui all", I entered hideui banner label funcs to remove even more clutter.

You can leave some of the lower icons enabled, if you wish. I haven't created any icons for these or for Windows (as I don't use them), but you can sample the colours from the other icons and create your own, perhaps. If you do create icons, I'd love for you to post them here. Just be sure to put them in a Zip file, so they don't get J-Pegged.

I'll post a screenshot of this setup soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A Prettier rEFIt

I made an Ubuntu Icon awhile ago... I will if I can find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks a lot for your post ... I had read refit's documentation on how to do this but you just saved me a lot of time, and your icons are great!

Clouseau__

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: A Prettier rEFIt

Well, I don't know how to take a screenshot of the boot menu. I know it's possible, but to save myself time, I just created this mockup of what it looks like. Although not exact, it will give you a pretty good idea of what my modifications do.

mockup.png
    Click for a bigger version.

Oh, and thank you, Clouseau__ for your feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Thank you for sharing your experiences with rEFIt. I like your theme.

I just blogged about one that I came up with: http://colinharrington.net/blog/inde...el-macs-slick/ It contains all the resources that you need to do recreate it.

Closeup:

I really didn't like the apple grey/silver. Let me know if you find a way to get rid of it on the boot_linux screen after you select your OS.

I also put together an ubuntu icon for the boot_linux.icns icon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nice guys this is great. I definitley like black better too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I followed your post and have replaced the icons but the screen is still silver/gray not like your shot where it is black. you mentioned hostname.bmp sets the background with the top left pixel...

I created a hostname.bmp but it doesn't seem to be used, I did set it in the .conf file. does that bitmap have to be a certain size? I just arbitratily picked 190x90

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by inphektion View Post
    I followed your post and have replaced the icons but the screen is still silver/gray not like your shot where it is black. you mentioned hostname.bmp sets the background with the top left pixel...

I created a hostname.bmp but it doesn't seem to be used, I did set it in the .conf file. does that bitmap have to be a certain size? I just arbitratily picked 190x90
    did you set the option in the refit.conf?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yes I did. what I didn't do was read the instructions carefully. hostname.bmp doesn't go in the icons folder with the other stuff. it goes up a directory. all good now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes, that black interface is slick! I think it fits better with the Ubuntu loading screen. Personally, I am a Mac person as much as I am a Linux person, so I like the flat grey theme which blends with the normal Macintosh startup.
    Whatever floats your boat!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast