Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install XP in vista

Beans

How to install XP in vista

I brought a HP-dv6000 laptop which is pre-installed with vista home edtion. later, I made a partition on vista side and then installed ubuntu successfully. Now, I want to make a partition against vista again, so I can install window-xp in it. Because I found a lot of software that don't run in vista. Does anybody tell me how to do it ? Thank you very, very much !!!

Regards,

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to install XP in vista

Did you partition for Ubuntu manually? If so, simply do the same thing, but instead of making an ext3 partition, make it NTFS, then install XP.

For future reference, we have a Windows forum here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Does Vista allow you to do that ??
    I believe that vista takes ownership of all NTFS partitions thereby disabling to install any other version of Windows.

Hack the Planet

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by knightcoder View Post
    Does Vista allow you to do that ??
    I believe that vista takes ownership of all NTFS partitions thereby disabling to install any other version of Windows.
    Wait, Windows snags ownership of other partitions???

Didn't know that, but if it's the case, you could always make a FAT32 partition. This would also let you share data between XP and Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why don't you try to make a new partition and install Xp on that partition ?
    To create a new partition you can use Gparted in Linux or Partition Magic(Vista).
    But dont forget that installing XP ,vista will remind you that a newer version is already installed.

By the way why dont u move to Ubuntu at all
    Don't use the command Rm -rf if you don't fully know what you are doing it can seriously damage ur system

Beans

Oh, Sir, " Did you partition for Ubuntu manually? " -- I could not answer your question for sure. How will I know partition for ubuntu manually ?
    My Concerning is making partition on vista will affect ubuntu side. -- I'm not sure. please give more in details. thanks alot.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong22 View Post
    Oh, Sir, " Did you partition for Ubuntu manually? " -- I could not answer your question for sure. How will I know partition for ubuntu manually ?
    My Concerning is making partition on vista will affect ubuntu side. -- I'm not sure. please give more in details. thanks alot.
    When you did the installation, did you select "Manual Partitioning" or "Guided"?

Beans

>Why don't you try to make a new partition and install Xp on that partition ?
    >To create a new partition you can use Gparted in Linux or Partition >Magic(Vista).
    >But dont forget that installing XP ,vista will remind you that a newer >version is already installed.

>By the way why dont u move to Ubuntu at all

To nbayiha,
    It seems a quick way to install xp. Yes. I want to use Magic from vista to create a new partition, then install xp in it. By doing that, will it affect
    ubuntu side ? -- that's my big concern. please answer me. I dont' want really destroy my ubuntu. Thank you all your guys. I alway stay with ubuntu, But I need to handle some chinese documents with some software that don't work on vista & ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

As long as Ubuntu and XP are in different partitions, one will not effect the other.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Code:
    It seems a quick way to install xp. Yes. I want to use Magic from vista to create a new partition, then install xp in it. By doing that, will it affect
    ubuntu side ? -- that's my big concern. please answer me. I dont' want really destroy my ubuntu. Thank you all your guys. I alway stay with ubuntu, But I need to handle some chinese documents with some software that don't work on vista & ubuntu.
    Nope it won't affect your Ubuntu Partition , cause they wont be in the same partition.
    Try it without fear.
    And report if you got some problem.
    Don't use the command Rm -rf if you don't fully know what you are doing it can seriously damage ur system

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast