Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ath9k

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ath9k

Probably solving power management issues in UBUNTU will solve the problem with ath9k driver to strenght the weak signal.

Beans

New version of the compat-wireless-ath9k driver is out: 2008-09-16!
    Check the instructions here!!

Beans

Great work! I tried compat-wireless-ath9k-20080806.sh on Debian testing on Aug. 31, and (after one or two small fixes), it worked very well at the WPA2 protected network of my relatives.

Today I tried compat-wireless-ath9k-20080806.sh with an unencrypted AP, but unfortunately that didn't seem to work. I noticed there was a new version, so I tried compat-wireless-ath9k-20080916.sh, and this time, it worked out of the box on Debian testing of Sept. 17. Unfortunately, I cannot join a secured AP at this moment since I don't know any passwords here, but I assume it still works. However, joining an unencrypted AP stil fails.

Is this a known issue with the ath9k driver? Or is there something else wrong?

Below is a portion of /var/log/syslog during the attempt to connect to the unsecured AP.

Best regards and thanks for all the work!

Admar

A snippit from /var/log/syslog:
    Sep 17 22:11:59 pingguo NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
    Sep 17 22:11:59 pingguo NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0/wireless): access point 'linksys' is unencrypted, no key needed.
    Sep 17 22:12:01 pingguo NetworkManager: <info> SUP: sending command 'INTERFACE_ADD wlan0^I^Iwext^I/var/run/wpa_supplicant^I'
    Sep 17 22:12:01 pingguo NetworkManager: <info> SUP: response was 'OK'

...(some more <info> SUP: messages)...

Sep 17 22:12:01 pingguo NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
    Sep 17 22:12:04 pingguo NetworkManager: <info> Old device 'wlan0' activating, won't change.

...(some more messages about "Old device 'wlan0' activating, won't change")...

Sep 17 22:14:01 pingguo NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0/wireless): association took too long (>120s), failing activation.

Beans

Didn't know that artheros provided sources, so gave my ar5416 (linksys WMP300N) a try with the ath9k driver after using the madwifi ath_pci dirver without any issues. Throughput is a bit cumbersome though with ath_pci so I thought maybe the ath9k with 802.11N spec could give me some boost in transfers. Many thanks for volalin who provided the instructions and script for easy install.

Found out that with ubuntu's s network manager without encryption it works, with WPA2 it doesn't associate with the AP. Multiple restart from net, PC reboots and AP reboots didn't solve this association issues. Speed is at 600KB/sec with the encryption off so no real gain there. iwconfig always states it's bitrate at 1MB/s but from the devel list this is known issue. It was fun to test things out though, and I will keep an eye on ath9k devel list to keep track of things.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Drikus View Post
    Found out that with ubuntu's s network manager without encryption it works, with WPA2 it doesn't associate with the AP.
    Have you tried with wicd... There are actually a few drivers right now that do not play nice with n-m + WPA.

Beans

Everything went fine, untill I tried to use it.. It DOES scans for networks, but when I try to connect to one (mine) it won't let me, I type in the correct password, etc.... It has no router filters or anything like that =/ any ideas?

I installed WICD and it stays in "Obtaining IP address" with no luck
    Last edited by d4ni; September 19th, 2008 at 01:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

It didn't work for MacBook2,1. Wicd doesn't list the ath9k driver.

Had to reinstall from 20080806.

Beans

Hello *,

I've been struggling with my Atheros card as well (168C:002A device id). The ath9k driver installs, wlan0 and wmaster0 show up, syslog shows the card being enabled correctlly, however the card can't get a link- the last message reads "wlan0: link is not ready." In the default installation of Ubuntu, no drivers were loaded for my card.

I tried ndiswrapper before ath9k, and it loaded the driver for the card correctly (I used the athrx.inf and corresponding *.sys files on my drivers cd) but no device ever showed up (ndis0).

Is anyone experiencing the same problem? Or, better yet, does anyone have a solution for this?

Thank you!

Demian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by demianlessa View Post
    I've been struggling with my Atheros card as well (168C:002A device id). The ath9k driver installs, wlan0 and wmaster0 show up, syslog shows the card being enabled correctlly, however the card can't get a link- the last message reads "wlan0: link is not ready." In the default installation of Ubuntu, no drivers were loaded for my card.

I tried ndiswrapper before ath9k, and it loaded the driver for the card correctly (I used the athrx.inf and corresponding *.sys files on my drivers cd) but no device ever showed up (ndis0).
    ndiswrapper interfaces also show up as 'wlan#'

Can you make sure that ndiswrapper is disabled?

Beans

Yes, it is. Actually, I completely removed it from my system.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast