Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: ath9k

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ath9k

Quote Originally Posted by TDragon View Post
    I'll uninstall the v20 files when i get home and try the v21 after I upgrade my kernel to match.

I was able to get the old driver working after installing/uninstalling a couple of times. Here's the weird part, I can see routers, including my own N router, and connect to it. However, after entering my WPA2 Key (I have my router, DGL-4500, set up for WPA & WPA2 using both AES & TKIP), it will just sit there saying waiting for key (using default gnome network mgr that comes with Ubuntu Hardy) and will eventually give up and try to get an address from my ethernet card (even though its not connected). With the madwifi and ndiswrapper drivers, I was able to connect, but my initial problem was no internet, which is nothing new for fresh Hardy installations.

Maybe I should start a new thread in the Network section given that I'm not a mac .
    Just some information... Some mac users were having issues using WPA1/2 as well previously... switching to using wicd instead of network-manager worked for many so that might be worth trying for you too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Just some information... Some mac users were having issues using WPA1/2 as well previously... switching to using wicd instead of network-manager worked for many so that might be worth trying for you too.

Thanks, I've tried using that one in the past (when I was initially having problems with madwifi & ndiswrapper), but couldn't get it to install. Maybe this time it will work. I'll try that and the driver when I get home later, and if I am still having problems, I'll start a new thread then.

I've also heard that some people have had network issues with the MTU being at 1500. I've dialed it down on the router, but in ifconfig, it still lists 1500 for my connections. Is there a manual way of setting it in Ubuntu, like you could with Windows?
    Ubuntu: IntrepidIbex x32 v8.10-RC (v2.6.27-7 Kernel) / Gnome / C.Fusion / Emerald / Guake / wicd / etc...
    UbuntuUser#: 24216

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by awwong View Post
    Egads! I was able to successfully compile the ath9k driver using Kevmitch's Debian instructions here (slightly modified for Linux Mint 4/Ubuntu Gutsy). I'm experiencing the 1 Mbps bug, but my D-Link DWA-552 is working with the ath9k driver. Right now the connection speed seems similar to the ndiswrapper 1.53 and madwifi (when it was working) connection that I have experienced, but I'm sure that will change as the driver is improved. I haven't tested how stable it is yet. Thanks to all for their efforts to get this driver functioning.
    I'm glad you got it working. Did the Debian instructions for creating and installing the .deb (i.e. fakroot make-kpkg) for the kernel work? Also, it looks like I hadn't fully updated the howto from when it was using the wirless-testing git. That's why you had to create the wireless-testing directory yourself.

You need rather to copy the config file into the directory of the kernel being compiled, in this case /usr/src/linux-2.6.27-rc3. I've fixed the howto. That said, if everything seems to be working for you, then it shouldn't be a problem. If something isn't working quite right on the other hand, this would be the first culprit to investigate. Did it ask you a bunch of esoteric questions before actually compiling by any chance?

Note also that I've added a note about telling the compilation process to make use of multicore CPU's which should speed up compilation considerably if that is an issue for you. If you are more adventurous, you can try disabling some things in your kernel config that you know you don't have or use. I've got my compile time down to 7 min for a thinkpad T60 in this way.

Beans

Kevmitch, thanks for your work and for constantly updating the wiki. The .deb process works for Mint/Ubuntu. I guessed after several attempts that .config needed to be in the same directory as the kernel.

When initiating make, there were some comments about modules or something not found, but I didn't take note since I thought the process was going to fail again (oh me of little faith) so you can imagine my delight when it all worked out. I had to use mkinitramfs to create a initrd for the kernel as well.

Now I'm trying to configure this hybrid gutsy/27rc3 setup for practical use - or maybe I'll try to optimize some more and compile again on my Dell P4 XPS (it has two CPU's). Yes, the compile process was rather long, but the results were very rewarding.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    I'm running v21 kernel, new drivers, and wicd. When I attempt to connect to my network, it just says, waiting IP address..

Out of curiosity, how did you set up the WPA supplicant for the ath9k driver under the prefs screen of wicd?
    Ubuntu: IntrepidIbex x32 v8.10-RC (v2.6.27-7 Kernel) / Gnome / C.Fusion / Emerald / Guake / wicd / etc...

Beans

is there a deb package for kernel 24-21 amd64? the driver works fine for 24-19 amd64.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kjano View Post
    is there a deb package for kernel 24-21 amd64? the driver works fine for 24-19 amd64.
    Not yet.

The PPA build system compiles the driver for both i386 and amd64 automatically, but the 24-21 kernel it still not available there. To compile for 24-21, I have to compile locally in my machine, and I don't have ubuntu amd64 installed.

Maybe I will install ubuntu amd64 in a VM later, so I can provide this package, but for now your only opton for amd64 is the 24-19 version.

Beans
    Distro

In a attempt to reach a larger audience (than from a Mac-specific section), I created a thread for my issues with this driver set here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5595649.

Beans

#####################################
    OUTDATED!!!
    Check the new instructions here!
    #####################################

Good News!

Answering requests, I have created a shell script that will compile the ath9k wireless driver for your kernel. You might be using any ubuntu kernel, or even a custom kernel, and the script will generate a custom deb package for you.

To use it, just extract the script from the tar.gz attached.
    Then run:

Code:
    $ bash compat-wireless-ath9k-20080806.sh
    If you have a custom kernel, you must edit the script before running it, to remove the ubuntu-specific kernel dependencies. Just open the extracted script in any text editor and change both lines:

Code:
    PACKAGE_DEPENDENCIES="linux-image-`uname -r`"

BUILD_DEPENDENCIES=(build-essential module-init-tools linux-headers-`uname -r`)
    To:

Code:
    PACKAGE_DEPENDENCIES=""

BUILD_DEPENDENCIES=(build-essential module-init-tools)
    And run it!
    The script will generate a shiny new deb package for you!
    Please, try it and report any bugs to me here!

compat-wireless-ath9k-20080806.tar.gz (Hosted at Rapidshare)
    Last edited by volanin; September 7th, 2008 at 04:14 PM.

Beans

Works perfectly on my amd64 system. Thanks volanin.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast