Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ath9k

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ath9k

Quote Originally Posted by teddmeister2 View Post
    Will the package that the volanin compiled work with kernel version 2.6.17? I assume it won't, but could somebody help me? All I need to do is install the card and the driver on my wifes computer with Edgy Eft installed (I don't need N functionality, I only have a G router ATM). One additional obstacle is the fact that my wife's computer is too far from my router for ethernet cables to reach, so whatever I'll do I'll have to do from a burnt CD/pen drive.
    I appreciate anyone's advice on how to proceed. (I'd prefer not to have to do an upgrade on her computer.)
    I'd start a thread in the wireless and networking forum with the output of 'lspci'. They should be able to guide you to the right place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Any chance we will get this for intrepid?

Beans

I guess not.

The new ath9k driver has been merged into kernel 2.6.27-RC3 today.
    As far as I know, Intrepid will use kernel 2.6.26.
    It can always be backported though!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by volanin View Post
    I guess not.

That's the reason I stopped struggle with intrepid.

Beans

I guess not.

I guess I could try to recompile the kernel... again...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

### Update ###

Although I can't use the PPA auto-build system to create a driver for the kernel 2.6.24-20-generic, I managed to build it locally on my machine! It means that, if you use this newest kernel version, now you have full 802.11n support! (for i386 only)

Since I cannot host it at the PPA repository, and since the file is larger than the allowed attachment size, you will have to download it from Rapidshare. I hope you don't mind!

compat-wireless-ath9k-2.6.24-20-generic_20080806-mactel1_i386.deb
    (Hosted at Rapidshare)
    I tried the latest version and it crashes my OS every time I load the driver (non-mac). Should I recompile it for my installation? If so, can someone walk me through it?
    Ubuntu: IntrepidIbex x32 v8.10-RC (v2.6.27-7 Kernel) / Gnome / C.Fusion / Emerald / Guake / wicd / etc...
    UbuntuUser#: 24216

Beans

Exclamation Re: ath9k

Egads! I was able to successfully compile the ath9k driver using Kevmitch's Debian instructions here (slightly modified for Linux Mint 4/Ubuntu Gutsy). I'm experiencing the 1 Mbps bug, but my D-Link DWA-552 is working with the ath9k driver. Right now the connection speed seems similar to the ndiswrapper 1.53 and madwifi (when it was working) connection that I have experienced, but I'm sure that will change as the driver is improved. I haven't tested how stable it is yet. Thanks to all for their efforts to get this driver functioning.

Beans

Right now the connection speed seems similar to the ndiswrapper 1.53 and madwifi (when it was working) connection that I have experienced, but I'm sure that will change as the driver is improved. I haven't tested how stable it is yet. Thanks to all for their efforts to get this driver functioning.
    Well, just a word of caution here!
    My brother fell for this "trap", so an extra warning is never too much!

The maximum speed of 802.11b is 11Mbit/s, the maximum speed of 802.11g is 54Mbit/s and finally the maximum spped of 802.11n is 300Mbit/s. My brother, back then, bought a shiny new 802.11g wireless card, because he though that it would improve the internet connection here at my house, over the speed he already had with 802.11b.

Of course he was mistaken!

The internet connection at my house is a 4Mbit/s ADSL.
    So even the 802.11b has more than enough bandwidth to enjoy the full speed my connection can provide, and upgrading to 802.11g or 802.11n would change absolutely nothing!

Neverthless, you will see an improvement in computer-to-computer file transfers (e.g. when using SAMBA shares in a LAN) if both of them have 802.11n wireless and the Access Point supports it, or if one of them has 802.11n and the other is connected via wire in a Gigabit ethernet. (The more common 100Mbit/s ethernet will also work, but it will cap the maximum speed of 300Mbit/s that can be achieved with 802.11n)

Silly warning I know, but even the best can overlook small things sometimes!
    Last edited by volanin; August 14th, 2008 at 01:48 PM.

Beans

#####################################
    OUTDATED!!!
    Check the new instructions here!
    #####################################

Update for kernel 2.6.24-21-generic in Hardy proposed:

compat-wireless-ath9k-2.6.24-21-generic_20080806-mactel1_i386.deb (Hosted at Rapidshare)
    Last edited by volanin; September 7th, 2008 at 04:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Update for kernel 2.6.24-21-generic in Hardy proposed:

compat-wireless-ath9k-2.6.24-21-generic_20080806-mactel1_i386.deb (Hosted at Rapidshare)
    I'll uninstall the v20 files when i get home and try the v21 after I upgrade my kernel to match.

I was able to get the old driver working after installing/uninstalling a couple of times. Here's the weird part, I can see routers, including my own N router, and connect to it. However, after entering my WPA2 Key (I have my router, DGL-4500, set up for WPA & WPA2 using both AES & TKIP), it will just sit there saying waiting for key (using default gnome network mgr that comes with Ubuntu Hardy) and will eventually give up and try to get an address from my ethernet card (even though its not connected). With the madwifi and ndiswrapper drivers, I was able to connect, but my initial problem was no internet, which is nothing new for fresh Hardy installations.

Maybe I should start a new thread in the Network section given that I'm not a mac .
    Ubuntu: IntrepidIbex x32 v8.10-RC (v2.6.27-7 Kernel) / Gnome / C.Fusion / Emerald / Guake / wicd / etc...
    UbuntuUser#: 24216

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast