Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Wireles Running Slowly

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    168
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Wireles Running Slowly

    I recently got a new laptop and did a fresh install of hardy 8.04 on it. My wireless connects without any problem but I've noticed it runs very slowly. Torrents that have reach speeds around 200-250kbs on my other computer only get a max of like 40kbs on this one, and when that is happening it slows down my browsing speed immensly. Does anyone know what could cause that problem?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Beans
    5,538
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Wireles Running Slowly

    It could be weaker signal strength, which could be the result of a less powerful wireless card, being farther from the router or a less efficient wireless driver. To help troubleshoot the problem, please provide the output of:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    lshw -C Network
    iwlist scan
    Also, have you ever run another operating system on this same computer (e.g. Windows) with the same wireless card, and if so, was the transfer rate alright there?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    168
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Wireles Running Slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    It could be weaker signal strength, which could be the result of a less powerful wireless card, being farther from the router or a less efficient wireless driver. To help troubleshoot the problem, please provide the output of:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    lshw -C Network
    iwlist scan
    Also, have you ever run another operating system on this same computer (e.g. Windows) with the same wireless card, and if so, was the transfer rate alright there?
    I haven't tried the wireless with Windows on this computer. It came with vista but I installed ubuntu the minute I got it. Thanks for the help!


    joshua@SNKNGSHPS:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"linksys"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:66B:17:BD
    Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Link Quality=88/100 Signal level=-46 dBm Noise level=-71 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0



    joshua@SNKNGSHPS:~$ lshw -C Network
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
    *-network
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:1c:23:87:6f:c9
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 latency=64 module=ssb multicast=yes
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: 00:1b:fc:82:56:37
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes ip=192.168.1.106 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g




    joshua@SNKNGSHPS:~$ sudo iwlist scan
    [sudo] password for joshua:
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

    eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:0F:66B:17:BD
    ESSID:"linksys"
    Mode:Master
    Channel:1
    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
    Quality=93/100 Signal level=-41 dBm Noise level=-70 dBm
    Encryption keyff
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
    Extra:tsf=00000013eefd5d26

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Beans
    5,538
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Wireles Running Slowly

    Thanks for the information. You're using b43, the "next-generation" driver for Broadcom wireless cards, which I've heard has some signal-strength issues. You can try using bcm43xx, the older Broadcom driver, which is more reliable (and has fewer features, but it works fine in normal managed mode). To use bcm43xx, first add b43 to the blacklist. Type:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    A file will pop open. Add to it these lines:
    Code:
    blacklist b43
    blacklist b43legacy
    blacklist ssb
    and look for a line that says "blacklist bcm43xx." Remove that line, then save and close the file.

    Next you need to install the firmware for bcm43xx:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
    You'll be asked if you want the firmware to be automatically downloaded; say yes.

    Then reboot and see if your wireless is working better.

    As a disclaimer, I'm not positive that bcm43xx will work for your card--it works for most models of Broadcom cards, but there are some exceptions, and unfortunately there's no reliable list of which ones are supported and which aren't. So don't be shocked if after the reboot your wireless connection has disappeared entirely; this is ok. In any case, it's simple to revert back to b43 if necessary simply by removing those three lines above from /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.

    If bcm43xx doesn't work, the next option is to use ndiswrapper, which should also give better signal strength. But hopefully bcm43xx will just do it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    127
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Wireles Running Slowly

    I've got this same issue; I have a year-old Toshiba Satellite A205-S4617 with an Intel 4695 AG Card...my out puts are as follows:

    iwconfig:
    Code:
    lo        no wireless extensions.
    
    eth0      no wireless extensions.
    
    wmaster0  no wireless extensions.
    
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"strnkr"  Nickname:""
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point: 00:12:17:26:61:44   
              Bit Rate=36 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm   
              Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B   
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=57/100  Signal level=-72 dBm  Noise level=-94 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    lshw -C Network:
    Code:
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
    PCI (sysfs)  
      *-network               
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
           vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 14
           serial: 00:a0:d1:78:32:e4
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.20 firmware=N/A latency=0 module=sky2 multicast=yes
      *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
           logical name: wmaster0
           version: 61
           serial: 00:13:e8:1b:22:c7
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl4965 ip=192.168.1.102 latency=0 module=iwl4965 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
    iwlist scan:
    Code:
    lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.
    
    eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
    
    wmaster0  Interface doesn't support scanning.
    
    wlan0     No scan results
    Any help would be appreciated! I have a triple boot setup and this card runs much faster on both XP and Vista.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    168
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Wireles Running Slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    Thanks for the information. You're using b43, the "next-generation" driver for Broadcom wireless cards, which I've heard has some signal-strength issues. You can try using bcm43xx, the older Broadcom driver, which is more reliable (and has fewer features, but it works fine in normal managed mode). To use bcm43xx, first add b43 to the blacklist. Type:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    A file will pop open. Add to it these lines:
    Code:
    blacklist b43
    blacklist b43legacy
    blacklist ssb
    and look for a line that says "blacklist bcm43xx." Remove that line, then save and close the file.

    Next you need to install the firmware for bcm43xx:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
    You'll be asked if you want the firmware to be automatically downloaded; say yes.

    Then reboot and see if your wireless is working better.

    As a disclaimer, I'm not positive that bcm43xx will work for your card--it works for most models of Broadcom cards, but there are some exceptions, and unfortunately there's no reliable list of which ones are supported and which aren't. So don't be shocked if after the reboot your wireless connection has disappeared entirely; this is ok. In any case, it's simple to revert back to b43 if necessary simply by removing those three lines above from /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.

    If bcm43xx doesn't work, the next option is to use ndiswrapper, which should also give better signal strength. But hopefully bcm43xx will just do it.
    Thanks for the response! Unfortunately (unless I did something wrong) it did completely disable my wireless. I took out the three added lines and added back in the one that was removed. How do I add ndiswrapper?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    127
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Wireles Running Slowly

    I'm pretty sure you can find it in the repository...synaptic. Just search for "ndiswrapper." I'm not sure how to use it, but you have to find a windows driver for your wireless card first.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Beans
    278
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Wireles Running Slowly

    I think your answer might be here:

    Code:
    joshua@SNKNGSHPS:~$ sudo iwlist scan
    [sudo] password for joshua:
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
    
    eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    
    wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    
    wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:0F:66B:17:BD
    ESSID:"linksys"
    Mode:Master
    Channel:1
    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
    Quality=93/100 Signal level=-41 dBm Noise level=-70 dBm
    Encryption keyff
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
    Extra:tsf=00000013eefd5d26
    If you look at the line second from the bottom (bit rates) you'll see that the bit rates (speed) tops out at 11.

    The top speed for 802.11b is 11, the top speed for 802.11g is 54.

    It would appear that this is a 802.11b router or that 802.11g is turned off in the router.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    168
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Wireles Running Slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by ModelM View Post
    I think your answer might be here:

    Code:
    joshua@SNKNGSHPS:~$ sudo iwlist scan
    [sudo] password for joshua:
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
    
    eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    
    wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    
    wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:0F:66B:17:BD
    ESSID:"linksys"
    Mode:Master
    Channel:1
    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
    Quality=93/100 Signal level=-41 dBm Noise level=-70 dBm
    Encryption keyff
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
    Extra:tsf=00000013eefd5d26
    If you look at the line second from the bottom (bit rates) you'll see that the bit rates (speed) tops out at 11.

    The top speed for 802.11b is 11, the top speed for 802.11g is 54.

    It would appear that this is a 802.11b router or that 802.11g is turned off in the router.
    Is this something I can change in the router's settings or do I need to invest in a wireless-g router?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    168
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Wireles Running Slowly

    Nevermind, I read your post incorrectly. It is a B router (I've had it forever). I'll try to get a G router soon. Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •