Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: linux_newb wants home_server! :)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] linux_newb wants home_server! :)

I am very new to linux, and just got together the parts for a home server...nothing fancy.

Here is what I want to do:

File and Print Server

Server accessed via remote desktop through my XP machine. I want to be able to play around in my linux box from my XP machine.

I am trying to choose which distro to use, because I need some sort of GUI to do this, because I am so new.

Anyways, I narrowed down my search to either:
    Ubuntu Hardy
    Linux Mint
    OpenSUSE

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by jcway212; July 30th, 2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: re-deployment of question :)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: linux_newb wants home_server! :)

Ubuntu hardy, but since you like GUI, try the desktop first, and install your server stuff later

The ubuntu wiki and help sites can be really helpful:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMWare
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP
    etc...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

So you are saying install the desktop version first and use that as a server and install the apps, etc. The one thing I am going to do is make this linux server a headless unit and access it via remote desktop on my computer which is running XP. Any other suggestions?

Beans

if you are going headless, make sure you install some kind of remote control app while you have the monitor connected and make sure you can log in before you make it headless. Nothing as frustrating as getting it where you want only to find out you can't remote into it and have to dig it back out
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by halitech View Post
    if you are going headless, make sure you install some kind of remote control app while you have the monitor connected and make sure you can log in before you make it headless. Nothing as frustrating as getting it where you want only to find out you can't remote into it and have to dig it back out
    Very true, what would you suggest be the best app for remote desktop? or should I use the one built into ubuntu or whichever distro I choose?

Beans

the only 2 I've used that work on Linux (still waiting for Logmein to come out with a version that works) is VNC and the built in Terminal server Client. I think I used VNC on the server I was using (been a while since I dumped the server) and used the TSC from my desk top. I've also used VNC to remote control my mothers system (she makes a lot of errors but don't tell her I said that ) and it seems fine. Where it is going to be behind a router (I'm assuming), just plain VNC will do fine without using SSH to encrypt the connection.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

awesome, thanks Halitech, question for you.....would you do Ubuntu over Mint or SUSE?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I wouldn't use Mint for a server....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would install the server version of hardy and do all the administration via ssh and a web based server admin suite like webmin. That way you don't have to worry about sound and video if your video and sound cards are not well supported. Have a look at webmin here:

http://www.webmin.com/

There is a webmin howto here:

http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/...in-ubuntu.html

I don't think you're going to be able to run a skype server, as that is proprietary software.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Dont waste you time with Mint
    64-Bit User-Group // Twin-View AMD64 X2 6000+|Geforce 9500GT 1024 MB|8GB PC2-6400 DDR2|500GB Seagate SATA // AMD64 X2 4400+|Geforce 8600GTS |4GB PC2-6400 DDR2|360GB Samsung SATA // Ubuntu 9.04 & 9.10 64-Bit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast