Thread: Thomson USB Wireless Adapter freezes my system

Beans

Thomson USB Wireless Adapter freezes my system

Hi guys,
    I have recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 on a Inspiron 2500 laptop. I think that the Ethernet is physically broken therefore i have decided to use an old USB Wireless adapter. This dongle is equipped with a Silicon Integrated Systems Corp. chip and in two words the system does not recognise it as a wireless adapter. I tried to install it with the windows (oi!) wireless drivers through ndiswrapper and something strange happens:
    1. The adapter is recognised as a wireless resource
    2. Is correctly installed as wlan0 and recon by the system
    3. Either if is installed in roaming mode it doesn't find hotspots
    4. When i attempt to connect manually to a hotspot it crashes my system..

Has anyone experienced this issue?
    The device is this and it works in windows 2K.

Thank you in advance for your help...

Forgot to say the chip: sis163u
    Last edited by AntoC; July 29th, 2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Forgot detail

Beans

Re: Thomson USB Wireless Adapter freezes my system

the command

Code:
    iwlist power
    yields:

lo no power mangement information

wlan0 Current modeff

How to turn it on?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Hi.

I have absolutely no experience of this wireless adaptor, but I hoped a couple of comments might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AntoC View Post
    Silicon Integrated Systems Corp. chip

Enough said?

But to be constructive. I did a google for 'sis163u' with or without 'Ubuntu' using www.google.com/linux (a useful version of google - did you know about it?) and came up with a lot of threads from other forums with similar issues to yours, but all unresolved. This was the only one from an admittedly brief search that offered a ray of light - but that would mean using openSUSE. But you might find something of use if you did a similar search.

One other suggestion: you could use a usb-ethernet adaptor. Most, if not all, work ootb with Linux. I bought one a couple of years ago for an old laptop that had no ethernet port. Although the product details said Windows only or words to that effect (there was also a Windows driver CD in the box) it 'just worked' with Ubuntu Dapper. They're not very expensive.

Beans

Hi coffe cat thank you for answering, thank you for pointing out the linux google version...
    Still i would like to use this dongle, it seems like other people managed it...
    Through if config i managed to set the power on but still it won't scan and if i try to manually connect it will freeze...

Beans

Ok update,
    the card is located correctly by the kernel, ifconfig shows it, iwlist wlan0 scanning says --no scan results---, iwconfig sees it as an adapter correctly, so it should work.....BUT
    if I try and connect the entire system crashes!!!....
    at the same time the site ndiswrapper says that people with the same card (id: 0457:0163) have had better luck.

No one?

Antonio