Thread: Brightness persistence problem after screensaver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Brightness persistence problem after screensaver

I have a BenQ LCD. It's a lovely monitor. Small problem tho': using it is like staring at the sun. I use the buttons on the side to reduce the brightness to zero and it's still way too bright.

I've tried adding and using the Brightness Applet. This doesn't do anything at all.

So I've installed the nvidia-settings app (see below). This does the job nicely with (-0.60 brightness & -0.30 contrast). The problem is that if I go away and the screensaver comes on, when I come back and unlock the screen we're back at eye-scorching levels of brightness again and I have to manually reset it using nvidia-settings.

Anyone know of a way to make the brightness reduction permanent?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ubuntu 12.04: E8200 // P35 // 4GB // HD4850
    OS X 10.7.x: iMac 12,2; MacBook 5,2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Brightness persistence problem after screensaver

Anyone?
    Ubuntu 12.04: E8200 // P35 // 4GB // HD4850
    OS X 10.7.x: iMac 12,2; MacBook 5,2

Beans

I have the exact same problem. Except my monitor is too dim. I turn up the brightness. but screensaver resets it.

Please help on how to maintain the brightness.

thank you.

Beans

I have the identical problem. Brightness settings reset at startup or when the screensaver kicks in. As soon as I open nvidia-settings they are restored. Any idea how to save brightness settings? Anyone? Other ppl also seem to have this problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...gs+screensaver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have the exact same annoying problem with Ibex on a DELL Vostro 1310 (Intel GMA 945).

Is there a way to define Brightness, Contrast, Backlight levels on xorg.conf or other conf file?

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is quite old thread, but I didn't find newer.

I have the same problem. When my Ubuntu starts up, the screen is first too dark. When the screensaver activates, the brightness changes to normal. (My screensaver starts with a "fadeout" and sometimes the brightness gets corrected immediately when the fadeout begins. Sometimes it gets corrected after that fadeout). Of course, it's hard to say which one is the "right one", but I've calibrated my monitor so that the screen is fine after a screensaver, because screensavers can't be "unstarted", so it's better to let the screensaver start one time than keep it not starting. Of course, I could completely disable screensaver and adjust my settings, but I don't want to do that.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04, GeForce3 and an old 17" Hitachi LCD. I don't have nvidia-settings installed.