Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Hardy (8.04.1) on HP tx2500

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Hardy (8.04.1) on HP tx2500

I can confirm it boots up nicely with II Alpha 6, 2.6.27-4

Beans

That's good news, was that 32 or 64 bit? I only have one cd-r left...

Dónal

Beans

64 Bit

Beans

Hello everybody, and thanks to everyone, in particular thegnark, for help.

It's now been some days I'm using my new tx2510 with 64 bit intrepid (updated daily) and it's pratically perfect. Everything works out of the box except:
    - wireless: but you just have to unload ssb and wl modules, and then reload wl (LP bug 263184)
    - touchscreen: the howto for Hardy doesn't apply. The 2.6.27 kernel is still not supported by wacom project (LP bug 260675), however I saw in some other post that the module for the 2.6.26 works well with it. But it seems like the intrepid default xorg.conf is less complete that the hardy default, so for instance there is no section "ServerLayout" and I can't follow the howto. I tried in several different ways to edit xorg.conf, but always got a "no screen found" at X startup
    - without the ATI proprietary drivers, still no 3D and VGA/S-video. But I think that in the final version, intrepid's restricted modules manager will propose to install them (it still doesn't)
    - ekiga doesn't recognize the webcam, but cheese does, so maybe it's just an ekiga problem
    - suspend-to-ram needs fixing: the computer correctly goes to sleep and wakes, but then mouse and keyboard don't work no more. (I'd say LP bug 23497, the fix in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=19 solves the problem)
    - hibernation often doesn't work: approx. one time out of 2, in the resume process the pc freezes
    - sometimes, the pc will freeze also in a normal startup boot, while saying something about powernowd
    - the battery detection almost works, but not perfectly. I can see battery discharging, but a certain point, the computer just dies unexpectly, showing low charge indeed but without popping up "battery critical" or even "battery critical" messages

Pietro
    Last edited by toobaz; October 5th, 2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: suspend solved!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hmmm.. I know people have gotten the wacom tablet to work. You just have to build it from source then use the module built for th 2.6.26 kernel.
    And on the suspend problem. When you come back from suspend, you have to hit ctrl alt f1 then ctlr alt f7. That always works for me.
    Kory

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gali98 View Post
    Hmmm.. I know people have gotten the wacom tablet to work. You just have to build it from source then use the module built for th 2.6.26 kernel.
    Kory, that's what I just wrote. I'm just not able to configure xorg.conf because it's different from Hardy's one, but this is probably a trivial point, I just don't have time now for experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by gali98 View Post
    And on the suspend problem. When you come back from suspend, you have to hit ctrl alt f1 then ctlr alt f7. That always works for me.
    Kory
    It doesn't for me. I just put the PC in standby, and now I'm using a USB mouse and a USB keyboard untile I reboot.

Pietro

Beans

I have an tx2590 and Hardy 8.04 installed with the 2.6.21 kernel and:

What works
    -Sound works "out of the box"
    -3D acceleration "works out of the box"
    -Mic not tested
    -Touchpad works, but only for the left button. (no "multitapping")
    -CPU scaling works

and what does not work
    -Touchscreen! The configure part from the guide doesn't work!
    -Suspend works one out of three times!
    -Part wise the wireless. Works like a charm when I'm close the router, but when the signal drops a bit so does the connection not work at all! (I'm using WPA2 security)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by toobaz View Post
    Kory, that's what I just wrote. I'm just not able to configure xorg.conf because it's different from Hardy's one, but this is probably a trivial point, I just don't have time now for experimenting.
    Ahhh read it wrong. If you upload your xorg, I can fix it for you...

-Touchscreen! The configure part from the guide doesn't work!
    What do you mean? If you will upload your xorg also, I will fix it too.

Also if by multitapping you mean using more than one finger to do other functions, then it will not ever work. That is a hardware feature not present. That is mainly for apples but probably a few other vendors that add it.
    Kory

Beans

hi all,

Am using a Tx2510us.
    Ran into a dead end in teh following sections of this instruction:

1. INSTALLATION
    Starting from installing the ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-amd64.iso, i get: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS unable to mount (8,1).

It seems the only other way i can install ubuntu is to download the 699mb installers in the main website. I downloaded both of them and proceed to install the same way as instructed.

To cut short, the link supplied in this

2. DIGITIZER
    Doesn't work. Can't Install. Can't download driver. Can't Extract Drivers.

Followed the instruction as detailed in: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...47#post5469447

Hit the brick wall when attempting to install build-essential:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev tk8.4-dev tcl8.4-dev libncurses5-dev

3. ROTATING SCREEN
    After adding Option "RandRRotation" "on", nothing seems to happen when i type the command xrandr -o <whatever>.

All i'm really confused about is the Boot Disk.
    The one i downloaded from the supplied link in this thread doesn't work to begin with. That dominoed to a series of failed attempts on nearly every step along the way.

Please, if there is a Ubuntu God out there, PM me to the rescue.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: HOWTO: Install Hardy (8.04.1) on HP tx2500

fy3
    I'm not an Ubuntu God but might be abble to help you.

1. INSTALLATION
    Try the intrepid beta cd http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/beta

2. DIGITIZER
    if running Intrepid just run in a terminal
    sudo apt-get install fprint-demo libpam-fprint
    sudo fprint_demo
    register your finger and enable pam module by editing nano /etc/pam.d/common-auth to something like

auth sufficient pam_fprint.so
    auth required pam_unix.so nullok_secure
    #auth requisite pam_unix.so nullok_secure
    auth optional pam_smbpass.so migrate

3. ROTATING SCREEN
    I read this but I can't remember where it works for tx1000 runnning hardy and gentoo, you can create a file like /usr/bin/auto-rotate.sh make it executable and run (it will rotate your screen 90° every time run), you could also map it to some button to act as in vista.

#!/bin/bash
    orient=$(xrandr -q --verbose | awk 'NR==2{print $4}');
    if [ "$orient" = "normal" ]; then
    xrandr -o right
    elif [ "$orient" = "right" ]; then
    xrandr -o inverted
    elif [ "$orient" = "inverted" ]; then
    xrandr -o left
    elif [ "$orient" = "left" ]; then
    xrandr -o normal
    fi

I hope this helps, let me know if it works or you need something else.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast