Thread: Will Ubuntu run on a Mac?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Will Ubuntu run on a Mac?

I saw a topic in a Fedora forum and it said you need to install Boot Camp or something for it to work. Does that still apply even if I install it on a separate (External) drive? Also, will the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT be able to handle Compiz Fusion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Will Ubuntu run on a Mac?

download the live cd and burn it to a disk and boot with the disk in...if it doesnt work Ubuntu most likely wont either...
    (I can't help you more then that)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes Ubuntu will work on your Mac. A casual look through these forum will show that several people here are running Ubuntu on their Mac. You do not need to "install BootCamp" whatever that might mean.

Yes Compiz will work. I assume you have a Macbook Pro then.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

NOTE the above is for First and Second Generation Macbook Pros, but the actual install will be the same for you. The links to the 3rd and 4th generation specifics are at the top of the page.

You will, however, have issues booting (not installing) with an external drive. It just doesn't work. There is a thread linked in the FAQ about this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, a MacBook Pro. I want to know if I can run Linux before I get one. Where is the link to the thread about the booting issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The FAQ is stickied in this forum:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=493393

Beans

I recently got a new MacBook Pro, 15-inch, model 4,1 (Penryn) and installed GNU/Linux on it dual-booting with Mac OS X Leopard. Installation of Ubuntu (I use the AMD64 flavour) isn't difficult at all, just follow the various leads in the sticky at the top of this forum. Most things work or can be made to work with a little effort; my major problem is with wireless using WPA/WPA2 Personal security (but others claim to not having this problem).

You should realize that making GNU/Linux work on Apple hardware will always require additional effort. Some hardware changes by Apple will in time be supported by GNU/Linux, but it may be a while in coming. If that bothers you, get a PC or run GNU/Linux in a VMware Fusion VM instead.