Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Mount Clonezilla Images

Beans

Re: How to Mount Clonezilla Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vijay.Saraff View Post
    That's the command I've used, and the behavior is strange. When it started out the progressbar said it would take about 2 hours to finish, at a rate 1.3 GB/min, but 7 hours later, it still shows 7 hours remaining with a speed of 130MB/min, the rate is decreasing linearly and the time remaining is increasing linearly as well... Has anybody else experienced this or am I doing something stupid?

At this rate it seems like the program will never end! and it's only done 50% of the way.

I tried to abort and mount the partial image as ext3, but that failed as well. Anyone have any ideas?
    I had this sort of behaviour when I was cloning to or from a drive attached via ethernet. - I had a western digital world book external drive And it just took patience. When I physically inserted this drive in my PC via SATA (when the network card on the drive started to flake out) my cloning would be much faster and not display the same behaviour as you see.

Beans

Here is how recently successfully achieved this

Installed partclone from here
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/part...6.deb/download

My clonzilla image is at
    /unmirrored/linux_images/2010-09-12-07-img-home/
    with files called sda3.ext3-ptcl-img.gz.aa , sda3.ext3-ptcl-img.gz.ab etc

So the ptcl bit tells us they are made using partclone
    And the .gz means they are gziped

So

Code:
    cat /unmirrored/linux_images/2010-09-12-07-img-home/sda3.ext3-ptcl-img.gz.* | gzip -d -c | sudo partclone.restore -C -s - -O /unmirrored/hda1.img
    worked creating hda1.img file at /unmirrored/

The imaged disk was an ext3 so I mounted with

Code:
    sudo mount -o loop -t ext3 /unmirrored/hda1.img /mnt
    and it all worked quite well - found the files I wanted to recover and copied them to another location.

So nice post

Beans

HI,

I've successfully mounted the image and made changes on a few files. I now want to store these changes in the image and restore it. I tried

Code:
    ntfsclone --save-image -o - /media/sda5/new_image/sda1.img | gzip -c > /home/partimag/newImage/sda1.ntfs-img.aa
    with no errors. If I try to restore the image on the target device, I get the error "Can't have a partition outside the disk!"

How can I create a image incuding the changes?

Thank in advance,

John!

Beans

Talking Re: How to Mount Clonezilla Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vijay.Saraff View Post
    That's the command I've used, and the behavior is strange. When it started out the progressbar said it would take about 2 hours to finish, at a rate 1.3 GB/min, but 7 hours later, it still shows 7 hours remaining with a speed of 130MB/min, the rate is decreasing linearly and the time remaining is increasing linearly as well... Has anybody else experienced this or am I doing something stupid?

At this rate it seems like the program will never end! and it's only done 50% of the way.

I tried to abort and mount the partial image as ext3, but that failed as well. Anyone have any ideas?
    Same here. In my case the progress follows quite well the following saturation formula:
    Code:
    progress=30%*(1-exp(-time/12.5min)
    It will never exceed 30%. This must be a JOKE.

I think the speed in MB/min is just an overall average value so the instantaneous speed is much lower in real.

By the way, same problem with external USB-HDD and internal SATA HDD. All deviceses using NTFS filesystems, partition being 60GB in size and maybe filled by 30%. CPU is working at 100% all the time. Strange. Any further ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I had some additions,

I had a my system partclone image using clonezilla with splitted gzip compression. My goal is to convert to a single image file in order to mount and extract some important files. I ended up to convert it to a virtualbox vdi image since i encounter problem which i discuss below. I was successful in converting from single image file used info in this thread and to vbox vdi image and amount the vdi image inorder to extract the file. I was decided to give up the problem i encounter when mounting the single partclone image file but for some reason i continue to find solution for it.

The problem i encounter is that the single image file throw some error message when using mount option and parclone-utils (imagemount command)

error in mount -o loop -t ext4 <image file> <mount point>
    Code:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
           missing codepage or helper program, or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
    Upon research on the error msg it points me to some hard disk failure information which is related on this error msg the problem with the info is related to physical HD.
    Here's how i solve my problem:
    First i check the image using e2fsck
    Code:
    e2fsck -f partclone_extfs.img 
    e2fsck 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
    The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 3839527 blocks
    The physical size of the device is 3703301 blocks
    Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
    Abort<y>? no

Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information
    partclone_extfs.img: 306832/960992 files (0.2% non-contiguous), 1807690/3839527 blocks
    Second: using resize2fs
    Code:
    resize2fs partclone_extfs.img 
    resize2fs 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
    Resizing the filesystem on partclone_extfs.img to 3703301 (4k) blocks.
    The filesystem on partclone_extfs.img is now 3702784 blocks long.
    Now command "mount -o loop -t ext4 <mount_image> <mount_point>" works

How i wish i know this procedure before i take a long path in converting the single img file to vdi and mount it inside the VM and used shared folder in vbox.
    I

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nutria007 View Post
    had the same problem, this worked for me...(note that i used lzop, not gzip)
    first downloaded partclone from http://sourceforge.net/projects/partclone/
    installed the .deb package and...
    Code:
    touch /dir-to-new-image/hda1.img
    and then
    Code:
    sudo cat /dir-to-images/sdb1.ntfs-ptcl-img.lzo.* | sudo lzop -d -c | sudo partclone.restore -C -s - -O /dir-to-new-image/hda1.img
    i hope this will help someone
    Thanks, its very usefull to me.

Beans

Thanks for posting that follow-up jao_madn. I was having the same problem and your solution works great!

Beans

Hello everyone! It took me 3 days to be able to read the information out from a defective windows computer i made a clonezilla image from. Maybe someone can benefit from my story.. And also how not to do

nutria007 posted the final solution! THANK YOU!

If you do not want to read all skip to [Solution] below!

First i did a clonezilla image (whole harddisk) of a Windows XP laptop that probably had some issues with explorer..

I tried to repair WinXP wich failed. Installed Win7 instead. The laptop owner wanted some files from the harddisk, wich i had already installed Win7 on by now.. Had to access it from the CloneZilla image...

I did not have a Linux computer so i downloaded Ubuntu 12.10 and tried to install it on my ESXi 5.0 host (VmWare machine). Of course Ubuntu was to new for the ESXi 5.0 so i had problems... bla bla.. Finally ended up downloading Ubuntu 11.10 instead. Instealled and worked fine!

I tranferred the CloneZilla image from my computer to the ESXi server via FTP to the Ubuntu guest os. (FTP server on my windows 7 computer and FTP client (Filezilla) on the Ubuntu machine. One of the files went very slow to copy, dont know why. When i tried to create a .img file from the CloneZilla backup it didnt work, then i noticed one of the clonezilla image files were a couple of bytes smaller, when i tried to resume the 2gb file it did overwrite it resulting in that i had to wait another hour for the file to complete with the same result (a couple of bytes missing)..

Gave up that idea. Copied the files (30GB) to a USB disk and went home.

[Solution]

Installed Ubuntu 11.10 on PC at home with WmWare Workstation 7.1.3. Then i mounted the USB disk to the Ubuntu installation and then ran:

Code:
    apt-get install parted (needed for partclone.restore command)

cat sda2.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.* | gzip -d -c | partclone.restore -C -s - -o sda2.img
    This produced a 159GB file! woho!

Then i tried to mount it.. Turned out to be problematic..

I tried:
    Code:
    mount -o loop -t ntfs sda2.img /mnt/ba

Failed to read last sector (312175079): Invalid argument
    HINTS: Either the volume is a RAID/LDM but it wasn't setup yet,
       or it was not setup correctly (e.g. by not using mdadm --build ...),
       or a wrong device is tried to be mounted,
       or the partition table is corrupt (partition is smaller than NTFS),
       or the NTFS boot sector is corrupt (NTFS size is not valid).
    Failed to mount '/dev/loop0': Invalid argument
    The device '/dev/loop0' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
    Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
    partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around? 

root@ubuntu:/home/magnus# file sda2.img 
    sda2.img: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x52, OEM-ID "NTFS    ", sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 0, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads 255, hidden sectors 401625, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x80)
    I searched long for a solution.. Many threads was about people having a image of a whole harddisk with the dd command. But i only had a partition from CloneZilla..

Finally i saw the post from nutria007
    and i tried:

Code:
    root@ubuntu:/home/magnus# ntfs-3g sda2.img /mnt/ba
    The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
    The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows. Fixing.
    Tata!! It worked!
    I do not know why the mount -o loop command did not work as the most forum topics i found contained that solution.. I almost gave up hope

EDIT: I tried again to mount it with "mount -l loop" and it failed again. I thought maybe it did not work the first time because the file system was unclean.. But did not help..
    Last edited by Mephist0; February 21st, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123