Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Mount Clonezilla Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How to Mount Clonezilla Images

While searching for how to mount clonezilla images I came across a post here that said it couldn't be done. Unfortunately it's in the archive so I can't post a reply to it to correct it. One definitely can mount clonezilla images to extract files from them and here's how to do it (as per the clonezilla FAQ at http://drbl.sourceforge.net/faq/inde..._ntfsclone.faq):

1. Prepare a large disk in Linux
    2. Say if your image is /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/, and the image is /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/hda1.ntfs-img.aa, hda1.ntfs-img.ab...
    run
    "file /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/hda1.ntfs-img.aa"
    to see it's gzip, bzip or lzop image. Say it's gzip, then you can run
    cat /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/hda1.ntfs-img.* | gzip -d -c | ntfsclone --restore-image -o hda1.img -
    Then you will have a "hda1.img" which you can mount it by
    mount -o loop -t ntfs hda1.img /mnt

Then all the files are in /mnt/

Enjoy!

Beans

Re: How to Mount Clonezilla Images

Are all clonezilla images in an ntfs format, or is that only the case if the original imaged partition was ntfs? If they can be other formats, how then would the images be cat'd together and mounted?

Bill
    CPU: 80286 @ 10Mhz; FPU: n/a; RAM: 256K, HD: 20 Meg
    Graphics: Monochrome; Power Supply: 100 W; Case: Yes/Open

Beans

Thanks you're a life saver. Just did a clean install on my kid's XP box - backup wup files & settings first using FAST wizard, and did a full clonezilla image first just in case. Well FAST transferred everything except Outlook files & profile. I was looking like having to find another hard drive to rebuild the CZ image but your tip saved me the trouble.

Beans

Thank You! I Was looking for this

Beans

I have followed your instructions but I get this error in the 25% of the process:
    gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated

It is like gzip don't recognise the rest of the clonezilla backup files as compressed using gzip. In fact seeing the ...ntfs-img.* files in nautilus, only the file ...ntfs-img.aa appears as 'Gzip archive', the rest of the ...ntfs-img.a* appear as not recognised type file.

Can you tell me how can I resolve this?

Thanks your your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jmz2 View Post
    I have followed your instructions but I get this error in the 25% of the process:

It is like gzip don't recognise the rest of the clonezilla backup files as compressed using gzip. In fact seeing the ...ntfs-img.* files in nautilus, only the file ...ntfs-img.aa appears as 'Gzip archive', the rest of the ...ntfs-img.a* appear as not recognised type file.

Can you tell me how can I resolve this?

Thanks your your help.
    The reason it even has *.aa in the first place is because you selected split archive up after 2000 mbytes. Do you have #.ab, etc? Maybe you can cat them together and try again. If you have enough space.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    The reason it even has *.aa in the first place is because you selected split archive up after 2000 mbytes. Do you have #.ab, etc? Maybe you can cat them together and try again. If you have enough space.
    I have more than one restoring file: from .aa to .ag

It is like gzip is only able to see .aa as a gzip file and it doesn't recognise the rest of the files (from .ab to .ag).

Following your sugestion I have tryed this as well but not luck:
    :/media/COMPARTIDO/WINDOWS2003-2008-06-22-06-img$ sudo cat hdc1.ntfs-img.aa hdc1.ntfs-img.ab hdc1.ntfs-img.ac hdc1.ntfs-img.ad hdc1.ntfs-img.ae hdc1.ntfs-img.af hdc1.ntfs-img.ag | sudo gzip -d -c | sudo ntfsclone --restore-image -O /dev/sdb1 -
    ntfsclone v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
    Ntfsclone image version: 10.0
    Cluster size : 4096 bytes
    Image volume size : 38724579328 bytes (38725 MB)
    Image device size : 38724585984 bytes
    Space in use : 16197 MB (41,8%)
    Offset to image data : 56 (0 x 38 ) bytes
    Restoring NTFS from image ...
    25,83 percent completed
    The funniest thing is that few weeks ago I was able to restore this image without problems. And I am sure my image is not corrupted because I had several copies and one of them is on DVD read only.

How can I make gzip realise that all those files are part of one split gzip file? I think this would solve my problem.

Many thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Read this note regarding recovery of Clonezilla split gzip files, HERE.

Beans

i've just made a backup with clonezilla and now i'd like to mount that partition to copy some files from that. i've followed your how to, but it gives me an error of the input. i've read that now clonezilla is using partclone not ntfsclone. can u give me the exact command with that please?

PS i apologize for my bad english.

Beans

i've just made a backup with clonezilla and now i'd like to mount that partition to copy some files from that. i've followed your how to, but it gives me an error of the input. i've read that now clonezilla is using partclone not ntfsclone. can u give me the exact command with that please?
    PS i apologize for my bad english.
    had the same problem, this worked for me...(note that i used lzop, not gzip)
    first downloaded partclone from http://sourceforge.net/projects/partclone/
    installed the .deb package and...
    Code:
    touch /dir-to-new-image/hda1.img
    and then
    Code:
    sudo cat /dir-to-images/sdb1.ntfs-ptcl-img.lzo.* | sudo lzop -d -c | sudo partclone.restore -C -s - -O /dir-to-new-image/hda1.img
    i hope this will help someone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast