Thread: Languages languages?

Beans

Languages languages?

So all these great linux platforms have numerous languages that they support. How does one go about putting their language into the operating system.

What I want to do is to start translating some of the native american languages that we have into an open source system. It is my belief that this could be used to help keep the language alive and to bring a full blown operating system to schools that are teaching only in the native tongue. Thinking my first project will be salish. Then mabye onto kootenai, depends on how far I get with the first.

So just need a general push in the right direction so I could possibly start a spare time project.

I live in Missoula and still havn't attended any of the LUGs yet, altho I want to..it just seems that my work schedule gets in the way all the time.

Beans

Re: Languages languages?

I think that would be a great project. I wish I had any sort of head for languages. I apologize for responding nearly two months after your posting, but I have just gotten back to the Ubuntu forums. Like you, I have too many irons in the fire, and am burning up or out or something...

Beans

Re: Languages languages?

Did you ever learn how to go about this? I am trying to find out of Hawaiian language is available, and consider an attempt to implement if not.