Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nautilus menu bar dissapeared, right-click disabled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Nautilus menu bar dissapeared, right-click disabled

I don't know if this is the same issue, but I have lost the 'minimse', 'restore' and 'maximise' buttons from the menu bar. Also in windows that are not full screen I have lost the border.
    I did not notice this until AFTER I have changed the menu in Firefox to display the 'New Tab' icon, but that does not mean to say it wasn't broken before then.
    Version is Jaunty - 9.04
    Mick 'n Keef rock, Chas beats time and Ronnie is the new boy
    Registered as user 466848 with the Linux Counter. Registered Ubuntu User 22858. Our company website or our new venture

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No. Not my problem at all.
    I did a rebuild. I then downloaded the nvidia drivers so that I could read my screen in 1280 x 1024. I overwrote xorg.conf and blow me down with a feather (or words to the same effect) I lost my icons again.
    Can't stop, I'm off to repair xorg.conf!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Steve
    Mick 'n Keef rock, Chas beats time and Ronnie is the new boy
    Registered as user 466848 with the Linux Counter. Registered Ubuntu User 22858. Our company website or our new venture

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Nautilus menu bar dissapeared, right-click disabled

I had the right-click/no desktop icons problem for a while too. For me the solution was maddeningly simple.
    Somehow it seems that Nautilus got removed from the Startup Applications list. Re-add it.
    Done.
    Now the right-click menu works and the desktop icons show up again.

Beans

try to downgrade then restart x

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I encountered this issue. For me, at least, it seems to be related to two things:

1. The toolbar is visible (regardless of toolbar setting in gconf!) as long as the navigation bar is disabled in gconf. Enable the navigation bar, and the toolbar goes away. Sidebar and status bar seem to have no effect.

2. The issue only occurs after a recent Nautilus update. Only package version "nautilus_2.26.2-0ubuntu4" exhibits the problem. Downgrading to nautilus_2.26.2-0ubuntu2 returns the menu bar behavior to normal. I hadn't read this topic yet, so I hadn't seen VoSi suggest it, but basically his suggestion works.

I do NOT have the gnome global menu installed. For the time being, I will be locking the version to nautilus_2.26.2-0ubuntu2 on my system. Any input on what might be going wrong here?

EDIT:
    Since CFBauer posted his original problem over a year ago, I doubt his issue was the same as mine.

EDIT 2: The version that caused my problem seems to have come from a PPA I've been using. Looks like I'll be disabling that one.
    Last edited by flamepanther; September 28th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Got the same problem. Im also get a failed nautilus from a ppa repository. Presumably, gloobus repos.

Im having problems to switch back to the normal ubuntu version with out making a mess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi,
    I'm experiencing the same strange bug: since i've made nautilus updates, I can't have a nautilus windows with both the gconf options "start with location bar" and "start with side bar".

Do you have any idea about how could we solve this problem? how could we downgrade to the last nautilus version?

Thanks of a lot for any help
    Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny!! -- FranK.Zappa --

Beans

Hi, there were a nasty bug about the gconf parameters (start_with_toolbar). A fix has been committed it's a question of hours before the next ppa update.

for more informations: https://answers.launchpad.net/gloobus/+question/84080

Beans

I'm suspecting that the developers have removed the menu bar from Nautilus. They think we want a web app or widget instead of a full fledged application. I find this really annoying; especially since some things are simply not available in Dolphin, my preferred file manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12