Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gah All sorts of problems on install.

Beans

Gah All sorts of problems on install.

Ok, Ill tell the whole story...

I got a virus in windows, the explorer.exe kept messing up but my pc/files were still usable.

Whenever I would run a virus checker for one reason or another it couldnt delete the files.

I decided to install ubuntu, I had used ubuntu for about 6 months but I am working on a music demo and need to use windows. Everything went fine until I got to the partitioning screen. I think I just changed the filetype, I know i never told it to format my windows partition nor did i ever even install anything.

Well there was some sort of error and I ended up rebooting, windows would not boot up, and when I put in my windows xp disk and went to recover and put in dir to the command prompt it spat out some corrupt disk error.

So now all of the music I having been working on for well over FOUR YEARS in on a corrupted disk, I know I should back-up but I figure this is the lesson we all have to learn. But I do NOT want to lose this data!

So as of now I am using 8.04 livedisk, which works with my wireless adapter out of the box (woohoo!) I tried to install teskdisk but can not figure out how to install it, and I cant even remember how to mount a disk...

please, I am in desperate need of help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Gah All sorts of problems on install.

The first thing you need to do is STOP mounting that disk!

Use the dd command to image the drive. So you can work from the image, not the drive.

Take a look at this link: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/backup

You're on a live CD. post the output of:

Code:
    df -l
    Last edited by DGortze380; July 28th, 2008 at 05:09 AM.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06

1. you should have backed up all the files if you were uncertain about creating partitions.

2. sudo apt-get install testdisk

3. search google with "mount partitions linux"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dietkinnie View Post
    1. you should have backed up all the files if you were uncertain about creating partitions.

2. sudo apt-get install testdisk

3. search google with "mount partitions linux"
    If that's the only copy of your data, do not perform any operations on that disk until you have a byte for byte copy of the entire disk.

you'll probably want something along the lines of

Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1
    where sda1 is the drive with your ntfs partition, and sdb1 is an external usb hard drive. I'll need the output of df -l (thats a lowercase L) to know exactly what command you need.
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Have you tried using the snyaptic package manager under Settings>Administration to install testdisk.

You may be able to mount the partitions in question by going to Places>Computer and selecting them if they are available.

Otherwise you are going to have to use the terminal, the code should look something like:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/winxp
    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o /dev/sda1 /media/winxp
    The first command creates a mount folder.
    This is for an NTFS file system. The /dev/sda1 is the partition and /media/winxp is the mount point.

Use:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    To determine the exact partition name.
    Any piece of knowledge I acquire today has a value at this moment exactly proportioned to my skill to deal with it. Tomorrow, when I know more, I recall that piece of knowledge and use it better.
    -Mark Van Doren

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by falcon61102 View Post
    Have you tried using the snyaptic package manager under Settings>Administration to install testdisk.

You may be able to mount the partitions in question by going to Places>Computer and selecting them if they are available.

Otherwise you are going to have to use the terminal, the code should look something like:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/winxp
    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o /dev/sda1 /media/winxp
    The first command creates a mount folder.
    This is for an NTFS file system. The /dev/sda1 is the partition and /media/winxp is the mount point.

Use:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    To determine the exact partition name.
    Again, if this is the only copy of the data on that disk, DO NOT mount anything until you have a copy. If you did reformat by mistake, or deleted the partition table, then simply mounting the partition can make the data significantly more difficult if not impossible to recover.

Make an iso of the drive and mount the iso. Then try to recover the data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Yeah, that's a good point, and I hope after three posts he gets it . I was merely answering his original question since you provided the rest of the info...
    Any piece of knowledge I acquire today has a value at this moment exactly proportioned to my skill to deal with it. Tomorrow, when I know more, I recall that piece of knowledge and use it better.
    -Mark Van Doren

Beans

Ok, so i feel like a just got hit with a lot here,

how do I create an iso of the drive? That would mean I need a drive at least as big as that drive to create it on?

Do I need to run testdisk before I create an Iso?

I havent been able to access the drive at all so that sounds good.

Maybe a step by step?

Beans

please guys a bit more instructions.

Beans
    Distro

Start By opening a terminal (Accessories>Terminal) and typing

Code:
    df -l
    that's a lowercase L

post the output here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast