Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pink ponies forum font color is offensive to me

Beans

pink ponies forum font color is offensive to me

i'm fifty-one years old and i am experiencing the loss of eyesight i once had as a youth. additionally, i find the cutesy-pie nature of its coloring to be frivolous and annoying. it would be inkeeping for ubuntu forums' intolerance, for that which is potentially offensive, to allow this pink color to continue. while it is understandable to consider my tone to be humorous, given my posting history, let me assure you, i am quite serious.

Beans

Re: pink ponies forum font color is offensive to me

I support the proposal above. I think its time to return to a default colour.

This should a majority decision though. Coud the other Admins please stae your preference.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    i'm fifty-one years old and i am experiencing the loss of eyesight i once had as a youth. additionally, i find the cutesy-pie nature of its coloring to be frivolous and annoying. it would be inkeeping for ubuntu forums' intolerance, for that which is potentially offensive, to allow this pink color to continue. while it is understandable to consider my tone to be humorous, given my posting history, let me assure you, i am quite serious.
    the bold should be "inconsistent with", not "inkeeping for". is there no edit option in the resolution center? or, am eyes getting even worse?

Beans

the orange is worse. just make it black.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-geek View Post
    People were complaining about pink so we gave them another color. We might change it daily, weekly, monthly or who knows when. My guess is we'll never see normal colors in this forum..
    so, basically you're saying that you don't care if people with eyesight problems have trouble reading it? or, is it more deliberate than that?

Beans
    Distro

so, basically you're saying that you don't care if people with eyesight problems have trouble reading it? or, is it more deliberate than that?
    ubuntu-geek is in a class right now. I'll answer, and if he wants to modify it later, he may do so.

That section of the forums is pretty low on our list of priorities and is intended as a fun and frivolous time waster. The main purpose of our forums is tech support, and that is where we want the bulk of our time and energy to be directed.

Since we changed the default text color away from black, the number and frequency of events requiring staff intervention or action has decreased dramatically. I suppose we could discuss various potential reasons for this from a social psychology perspective, but the bottom line is that this was a deliberate action that has had very positive results.

We care about our members. We care about them enough to continue doing things that have had an overall positive affect on our community, even if there is a little discomfort in the process. This is how progress happens. This is why Ubuntu has changed defaults from one software release to the next (for example, moving from Alsa to PulseAudio in Hardy), even though there have been growing pains in the process. In the longer term, it ends up for the good.

So, yes, I care about your eyes. However, there is no possible way that you are actually being damaged by the decision to use orange (or pink) text instead of black. It may not be your preference, it may be a little less easy to read, and for that we are sorry. However, the overall benefits have been impressive and we plan to continue to use this simple change to help keep the atmosphere in that forum as lighthearted as possible.

Beans

i never said my eyes were being damaged by the font. my eyes aren't damaged by looking at a clear, blue sky, but if i were to hire a skywriter to advertise for me, i wouldn't have him write my message in blue smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Since we changed the default text color away from black, the number and frequency of events requiring staff intervention or action has decreased dramatically. I suppose we could discuss various potential reasons for this from a social psychology perspective, but the bottom line is that this was a deliberate action that has had very positive results.
    this explains everything. you have less complaints because you have less people reading it. it probably also makes the posts that are more embarrassing to the forum harder to read. you can't dump the ponies forum because then you'd have that element spilling over into the cafe to deal with. but, if you keep it, that element is still around. damned if you do, damned if you don't.

how about the blue that's in your rainbow? i can read that and it's not black. you could even rename that forum 'sky-blue ponies'.

Beans
    Distro

You have a good grasp of the issue there...

how about the blue that's in your rainbow? i can read that and it's not black. you could even rename that forum 'sky-blue ponies'.
    That has potential. We'll think about it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    You have a good grasp of the issue there...

That has potential. We'll think about it.
    alternate it with dark green ponies and you have the two most elemental colors to the human condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast