Thread: Ubuntu compatible sound cards

Beans

Ubuntu compatible sound cards

Hi, I don't know if this is the correct place to post this so apologies if it isn't. I have been using Ubuntu for about 8 months now and recently installed 8.04. Upon doing this I lost all sound except for the welcoming chime. I have since tried all varieties off sound mixer with all sorts of varied settings on them. I am currently using a Creative XFI extreme audio card. Which as yet does not have an official driver from creative and is the only XFI card so far that is not officially supported by the open source creative project. I am also a Windows user and enjoy the sound quality and frame rate increase in my games provided to me by a dedicated sound card. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a Ubuntu compatible sound card that I will be able to use for both windows and Linux. As at the moment every time I jump between my OS's I have to change the profile in the bios and plug the speakers into the sound card/motherboard depending on what I doing. Sorry for the long winded post but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu compatible sound cards

Beans

Hi,
    So I was just wondering where I can get these drivers from and if I will have to be a complete expert in recompiling kernals to use them?

Beans

I'm sorry I should have been slightly more specific in my last post. I just bought a soundblaster audigy se and I think this will use the snd-emu10k1 driver. However I cannot find this anywhere. I have looked at lots of posts now from people that have this card and they all seem to be having the same problem as I was having before with my xfi that was giving me very limited sound.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MSdefecter View Post
    I am currently using a Creative XFI extreme audio card. Which as yet does not have an official driver from creative and is the only XFI card so far that is not officially supported by the open source creative project.
    No, it's not the only card not supported by the Xfi Linux beta driver. My X-fi Titanium is not listed as a supported card for the driver either. Anyways, what did you do to resolve your issue?
    Linux Advanced Guides and News!
    http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com/

Green means go, Yellow means faster, Red means don't stop.