Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates of resolution od Foxconn bug ( no debates please just updates)

Beans

Re: TheAlmightyCthulhu, Foxconn motherboard BIOS and Foxconn's reply to me

Quote Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
    I saw the TheAlmightyCthulh's update about Foxconn
    Well, you could have given a direct link anyway. As some of you might have noticed by now, TheAlmighty is currently banned from these forums due to not complying with some of them rules.

In case you want to keep up to date with his views and proceedings, here's his blog
    http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/

Beans

Re: Updates of resolution od Foxconn bug ( no debates please just updates)

Quote Originally Posted by linuser View Post
    Hello I have an asrock (asrock dual sata II) with this table dstd acpi for bios AMIBIOS

I have the same problem that the foxconn?

the suspended way and the hibernation does not work
    Contact whoever made the board, tell them that Foxconn has acknowledged the problem, and that they are developing a patch with AMI.

This is all very frustrating, I had been wondering why Ubuntu was behaving like it is on my machine.

Beans

Re: TheAlmightyCthulhu, Foxconn motherboard BIOS and Foxconn's reply to me

Quote Originally Posted by rberger123 View Post
    Well, you could have given a direct link anyway. As some of you might have noticed by now, TheAlmighty is currently banned from these forums due to not complying with some of them rules.

In case you want to keep up to date with his views and proceedings, here's his blog
    http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/
    Thank you, I had just noticed this when you had said something about it, all of the Google results are hogged by the original "sabotage theory", it does look like Microsoft had a major part in this and is trying to stay out of the spotlight by letting AMI do dirty work for them, it looks like ASUS and MSI boards are also affected.

Ouch, this is a mess now matter how it came about!

Beans

I buy Intel boards because they support Linux. Yesterday, I got a new Intel DG33FB motherboard for a PACS server at my hospital. I tried Ubunutu64 and various other distros, but got similar problems, as reported in the original thread.

The board however loads Windows XP just fine. The BIOS version says DPP3510J and I'm not sure if it's AMI or not. The vendor says he will replace it with an Intel DQ35MP instead.

Meanwhile I find many users have similar problems with the DG33FB board. Should I wait for a BIOS update from Intel or go in for the more expensive DQ35MP instead?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jkrise View Post
    I buy Intel boards because they support Linux. Yesterday, I got a new Intel DG33FB motherboard for a PACS server at my hospital. I tried Ubunutu64 and various other distros, but got similar problems, as reported in the original thread.

The board however loads Windows XP just fine. The BIOS version says DPP3510J and I'm not sure if it's AMI or not. The vendor says he will replace it with an Intel DQ35MP instead.

Meanwhile I find many users have similar problems with the DG33FB board. Should I wait for a BIOS update from Intel or go in for the more expensive DQ35MP instead?
    Looks like Foxconn makes a lot of the Intel boards? Call Intel?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Neckbeard View Post
    Looks like Foxconn makes a lot of the Intel boards? Call Intel?
    I called Intel and got a similar reply to what Foxconn gave.... "The board is only meant for Windows operating systems, not Linux. To buy a certified Linux motherboard, get a DQ35MP instead."

I tried the parameter "pci=nommconf" as suggested; it went a bit further ahead on the installation, but crashed. Sounds very fishy.. why would Intel motherboards not work with Linux? I'm very disappointed to note that the Linux kernel is patched to report as Windows to the BIOS. Why? Should the BIOS care what OS is running?

This is very similar to the "Report as IE" trick, on Opera and Firefox - many sites are still broken inspite of this kludge.

Beans

I have sent mail to asrock and this is what they have answered me

Dear ASRock Customer,

Sorry, this motherboard does not support linux. (we did not test it under Linux system)

Please kindly use Windows 2000/XP with this motherboard.

Thanks for contacting ASRock.

Yours truly,

ASRock

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jkrise View Post
    This is very similar to the "Report as IE" trick, on Opera and Firefox - many sites are still broken inspite of this kludge.
    SHOULD it care? No. At least I don't believe so.

DOES it care? With at least one BIOS manufacturer doing, at best shoddy work or at worst deliberately engineering the issue, it would seem that "care" it does.

Beans

All you guys getting a "this motherboard does not support linux" answer from your support, just do what TheAllmighty did:

look if the board is advertised to be ACPI standard compliant. If it is, tell them you are not asking for Linux support, you are asking for standard compliance as advertised.

Beans

Have answered them with this message to asrock

Thank you for answering
    I am not asking that soporteis linux Only I want to know if it fulfils ACPI standard compliant For a possible bug of the bios AMI That affects to linux
    A lot of graces by everything

Have than answer

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast