Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updates of resolution od Foxconn bug ( no debates please just updates)

Hybrid View

Beans

Updates of resolution od Foxconn bug ( no debates please just updates)

This relates to this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249

This thread is to allow updates on progress to resolve this issue with Foxconn.

The subject has been fully debated so we dont need further an the subject as to fault blame or intent.That will only serve to bury resolution.

Thank you in advance
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Updates of resolution od Foxconn bug ( no debates please just updates)

This is kind of related. Thanks to the OP of the Foxconn thread, my brightness keys now work. I decompiled my DHDT and noticed that it referenced two tables based on OS: Vista and not-Vista. So I deleted the reference for not-Vista, and replaced the words "Windows 2006" with "Linux", and then recompiled and installed the fixed DHDT.

Now my laptop is running Ubuntu 100% problem free! Thanks to the person who posted about this originally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Foxconn has said they will post an official response on Monday, they sent me a DSDT table to patch the kernel with this morning, but it ended up giving me every error the original BIOS does, plus a message that the kernel can't find the "rio grande table" and is "bailing!".

It will be extremely interesting to see where this ends up, my idea is (without speculating as to the cause of the problem), that someone's boss(es) are aware of the situation that has brewed, and that they're being ridden to provide a BIOS that works well with Linux.

As for their reasoning, I don't care, I just want them to take accountability and fix it, they owe their customers an ACPI compliant board, as advertised, even if they don't go out of their way to advertise that it works with Linux.

I want everyone to know that regardless what happens to this thread or my account since KiwiNZ is censoring it and pushing to have me banned, you can keep up with the situation at <spam snipped>

staff: No, you're in trouble for creating multiple accounts. There is no plan to delete this thread or the information about the faulty dsdt tables. Please make your case rather than spreading falsehoods.
    Last edited by p_quarles; July 27th, 2008 at 09:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Response to Matthew Garrett's assumption that the bad BIOS is "not a bug":

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/...tthew-garrett/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmightyCthulhu View Post
    Response to Matthew Garrett's assumption that the bad BIOS is "not a bug":

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/...tthew-garrett/
    Do you have the link to Matt's original post?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jimv View Post
    Do you have the link to Matt's original post?
    He went to Red Hat's Bugzilla and marked it "Closed: Not a bug", apparently this was a mistake on his part as he later comments in the page, I snapped on the concern that he was closing bugs without even a vague idea of what my BIOS was doing, or how Linux responded to it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimv View Post
    This is kind of related. Thanks to the OP of the Foxconn thread, my brightness keys now work. I decompiled my DHDT and noticed that it referenced two tables based on OS: Vista and not-Vista. So I deleted the reference for not-Vista, and replaced the words "Windows 2006" with "Linux", and then recompiled and installed the fixed DHDT.

Now my laptop is running Ubuntu 100% problem free! Thanks to the person who posted about this originally.
    That's an entirely separate issue. Your system is designed to use the new Intel IGD OpRegion specification. This isn't supported in versions of Windows before Vista, so with your change to the DSDT it's falling back to the old-fashioned code. I've added support for this to Linux, which should be shipping in 2.6.27.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mjg59 View Post
    That's an entirely separate issue. Your system is designed to use the new Intel IGD OpRegion specification. This isn't supported in versions of Windows before Vista, so with your change to the DSDT it's falling back to the old-fashioned code. I've added support for this to Linux, which should be shipping in 2.6.27.
    Ah, cool. I still thank him because the brightness key issue had been bugging me since I first started using Ubuntu in Feisty, and I wouldn't have thought to check for different tables until his post.

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

TheAlmightyCthulhu, Foxconn motherboard BIOS and Foxconn's reply to me

I saw the TheAlmightyCthulh's update about Foxconn (below) and I decided to send a thanks to Foxconn. I wanted to share their reply here. See below.

(I'm not sure why the prior thread was closed. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmightyCthulhu View Post
    Update: I just got off the phone with Foxconn, they called me from China (1 AM in Indiana, heh) and were asking if I would test an improved version of their BIOS based partially on the modifications I've made to mine, hopefully this all blows over, and regardless of who's fault it is or isn't, we can just go back to using our computers with full functionality.

Thanks to the community for helping me get the message to Foxconn.

Edit: Please tell Foxconn what you think of their behavior:

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/online.aspx

I said:

"Thank you for working on the Linux support in your BIOS. I have been following the discussion at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249. I am very glad to hear that you will work to resolve this. Thank you!"

Foxconn replied:
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you very much for your attention with Foxconn.
    With regard to this issue posted on Ubuntu forum, we are trying to resolve it and we would like to state here that Foxconn will never reject Linux.
    If you meet similar problems, please try to provide your detailed configuration, (including cpu, memory, hdd, Linux version and its kernel, etc.) and the symptom so that we could test in our bed and analyse to resolve this.
    It is really a pleasure to be of service to you, Sir.
    Thanks and best regards,
    Foxconn Technical Support
    Last edited by overdrank; July 28th, 2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Post merged by overdrank

Beans

Re: TheAlmightyCthulhu, Foxconn motherboard BIOS and Foxconn's reply to me

Quote Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
    I saw the TheAlmightyCthulh's update about Foxconn
    Well, you could have given a direct link anyway. As some of you might have noticed by now, TheAlmighty is currently banned from these forums due to not complying with some of them rules.

In case you want to keep up to date with his views and proceedings, here's his blog
    http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast