Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates of resolution od Foxconn bug ( no debates please just updates)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Updates of resolution od Foxconn bug ( no debates please just updates)

If nothing else positive comes from this whole debacle, at least it has focused a large number of minds on one of the great Linux stumbling blocks... grossly inconsistent ACPI behavior from system to system. If the end result is better, more consistent and ultimately more functional power behavior under Linux, for everyone, then the ol' Ryan will have done some good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by JPorter View Post
    ...grossly inconsistent ACPI behavior from system to system...
    Wasn't that one of his points in his initial post?

The fact that Foxconn said that there was nothing wrong with the board, he just wasn't using some *other* OS ...AND the FACT that one of the companies that 'standardizes' ACPI is Microsoft, is it possible that they have shown how far they are willing to go to make free software in all iterations seem unstable enough as to not be an option?

While this does seem to sound very conspiratorial a la X-Files-ish, there could be more to this, or it could be nothing.

Deus ex machina?

NTTP
    "Hail the Holy Motherboard!"
    Wiki Launchpad

Beans

I reacted to Foxconn about their non-Linux friendly approach and see what I answer I got
    Code:
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you very much for your attention with Foxconn.
    With regard to this issue posted on Ubuntu forum, we are trying to resolve it and we would like to state here that Foxconn will never reject Linux.
    If you meet similar problems, please try to provide your detailed configuration, (including cpu, memory, hdd, Linux version and its kernel, etc.) and the symptom so that we could test in our bed and analyse to resolve this.
    It is really a pleasure to be of service to you, Sir.
    Thanks and best regards,
    Foxconn Technical Support
    So there is still hope for a 'bug'fix?

Anxious to see how quick they will solve the issue (they even test in their bed? )
    Last edited by Arvi Pingus; July 28th, 2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo corrected ('the'(y) even test in their bed?)

Beans

Bug fix or no, their customer support seems to have improved.

edit: I noticed the change in my user title again. Thank you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
    Bug fix or no, their customer support seems to have improved.

edit: I noticed the change in my user title again. Thank you.
    No kidding, I saw how they were behaving before, there is no excuse for this.

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

TheAlmightyCthulhu, Foxconn motherboard BIOS and Foxconn's reply to me

I saw the TheAlmightyCthulh's update about Foxconn (below) and I decided to send a thanks to Foxconn. I wanted to share their reply here. See below.

(I'm not sure why the prior thread was closed. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmightyCthulhu View Post
    Update: I just got off the phone with Foxconn, they called me from China (1 AM in Indiana, heh) and were asking if I would test an improved version of their BIOS based partially on the modifications I've made to mine, hopefully this all blows over, and regardless of who's fault it is or isn't, we can just go back to using our computers with full functionality.

Thanks to the community for helping me get the message to Foxconn.

Edit: Please tell Foxconn what you think of their behavior:

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/online.aspx

I said:

"Thank you for working on the Linux support in your BIOS. I have been following the discussion at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249. I am very glad to hear that you will work to resolve this. Thank you!"

Foxconn replied:
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you very much for your attention with Foxconn.
    With regard to this issue posted on Ubuntu forum, we are trying to resolve it and we would like to state here that Foxconn will never reject Linux.
    If you meet similar problems, please try to provide your detailed configuration, (including cpu, memory, hdd, Linux version and its kernel, etc.) and the symptom so that we could test in our bed and analyse to resolve this.
    It is really a pleasure to be of service to you, Sir.
    Thanks and best regards,
    Foxconn Technical Support
    Last edited by overdrank; July 28th, 2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Post merged by overdrank

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I just found this thread.

Here is my post about Foxconn's reply to me on this issue:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...91#post5474291

Beans

Hello I have an asrock (asrock dual sata II) with this table dstd acpi for bios AMIBIOS

Name (OSVR, Ones)
    Method (OSFL, 0, NotSerialized)
    {
    If (LNotEqual (OSVR, Ones))
    {
    Return (OSVR)
    }

If (LEqual (PICM, 0x00))
    {
    Store (0xAC, DBG8)
    }

Store (0x01, OSVR)
    If (CondRefOf (\_OSI, Local1))
    {
    If (\_OSI ("Windows 2001"))
    {
    Store (0x00, OSVR)
    }
    }
    Else
    {
    If (MCTH (\_OS, "Microsoft Windows NT"))
    {
    Store (0x04, OSVR)
    }
    Else
    {
    If (MCTH (\_OS, "Microsoft WindowsME: Millennium Edition"))
    {
    Store (0x02, OSVR)
    }

If (MCTH (\_OS, "Linux"))
    {
    Store (0x03, OSVR)
    }
    }
    }

Return (OSVR)
    }

I have the same problem that the foxconn?

the suspended way and the hibernation does not work
    Last edited by linuser; July 28th, 2008 at 03:02 PM.

Beans

I admit I am in very deep water now, but I still have some, may be very silly questions, I have been thinking about today:

Is there a such ting as "Linux" when it comes to how a BIOS should respond?
    Different Linux kernels have support for different things, like Windows kernels have.
    So, Windows is divided into different flavors (2000, XP, Vista aso) in BIOS responds.
    "Linux" will have different kernels being able to do things corresponding to different flavours of Windows.
    There would have been much extra work to ask for what kernel is used.
    Therefor Linux kernels present themselves as the Windows version having the same implements.

I think that when BIOS asks specifically if it is Linux, BIOS is set to correspond with very old kernels, and that the problem would have been omitted if the BIOS never asked.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by knutschr; July 28th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.

Linux user #107478

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I must say I was delighted when I saw the first thread about this last week. That the Linux community finally found something out we've all been waiting for. But, then the joy faded quickly when realizing 90% the hardware I support and maintain contain Foxconn mobo's and thereby could be affected.

I've now, today, read through every link within every link to find out as much as possible, and am now not so sure about it anymore.

So, please, everyone who decides to continue their "hate" or "blame" towards Foxconn, read everything through (from both parties) before deciding where you stand.

According to Matthew over @ http://mjg59.livejournal.com/
    All Linux kernels since 2.6.24. will claim to support all the "_OSI" interfaces
    which means the return value of "OS check" will be the same as any of the newer windows versions. or in worst case scenario
    Linux has responded to _OS with "Microsoft Windows NT" since 2.6.9.
    which just made this whole thing invalid according to me.

There is a bug somewhere but it is almost, to be sure I think, not caused by
    Code:
                    If (MCTH (_OS, "Linux"))
                    {
                        Store (0x03, OSVR)
                    }
    as originally believed.

Of course, Foxconn and others are still claiming full ACPI compliance and they most likley would fail a unbiased test. But, how would they know in the end it wasn't working out all right?

I've now stepped one more step on the O/S understanding ladder, which is endlessly high. Linux is trying to keep up with the Microsoft Windoze's DSDT's, which is quite a reverse engineering effort done by the kernel developers (Thank you, btw!).

Albeit I think it is the wrong way to approach the growing problem of Microsofts strong hold the majority of systems, I would also find it the only way to deal with it until Linux gains higher ground and can put more demands or "criterias" for the manufacturers to meet.

Until then, we'll have to ride the wave of Microsoft, I suppose.

Call me a traitor, or whatever, it doesn't remove the facts that Microsoft is still the TopDog here.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention, this "bug" or "problem" is present on other motherboards from other manufacturers also. Apparently it does affect AMI BIOS'es only, that we know of. Solution to this is to come soon, according to manufacturer officials.
    Last edited by Daelyn; July 29th, 2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: brainfreeze + layout
    Sony VAIO SZ4 - Limited edition

MS DOS since 5.0, Windows since 3.11, Linux since kernel 2.6, OS-X since 10.4,
    and, last but not least, MS Minesweeper since 1.0

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast