Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates of resolution od Foxconn bug ( no debates please just updates)

Beans

Updates of resolution od Foxconn bug ( no debates please just updates)

This relates to this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249

This thread is to allow updates on progress to resolve this issue with Foxconn.

The subject has been fully debated so we dont need further an the subject as to fault blame or intent.That will only serve to bury resolution.

Thank you in advance
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Updates of resolution od Foxconn bug ( no debates please just updates)

This is kind of related. Thanks to the OP of the Foxconn thread, my brightness keys now work. I decompiled my DHDT and noticed that it referenced two tables based on OS: Vista and not-Vista. So I deleted the reference for not-Vista, and replaced the words "Windows 2006" with "Linux", and then recompiled and installed the fixed DHDT.

Now my laptop is running Ubuntu 100% problem free! Thanks to the person who posted about this originally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Foxconn has said they will post an official response on Monday, they sent me a DSDT table to patch the kernel with this morning, but it ended up giving me every error the original BIOS does, plus a message that the kernel can't find the "rio grande table" and is "bailing!".

It will be extremely interesting to see where this ends up, my idea is (without speculating as to the cause of the problem), that someone's boss(es) are aware of the situation that has brewed, and that they're being ridden to provide a BIOS that works well with Linux.

As for their reasoning, I don't care, I just want them to take accountability and fix it, they owe their customers an ACPI compliant board, as advertised, even if they don't go out of their way to advertise that it works with Linux.

I want everyone to know that regardless what happens to this thread or my account since KiwiNZ is censoring it and pushing to have me banned, you can keep up with the situation at <spam snipped>

staff: No, you're in trouble for creating multiple accounts. There is no plan to delete this thread or the information about the faulty dsdt tables. Please make your case rather than spreading falsehoods.
    Last edited by p_quarles; July 27th, 2008 at 09:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Response to Matthew Garrett's assumption that the bad BIOS is "not a bug":

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/...tthew-garrett/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimv View Post
    This is kind of related. Thanks to the OP of the Foxconn thread, my brightness keys now work. I decompiled my DHDT and noticed that it referenced two tables based on OS: Vista and not-Vista. So I deleted the reference for not-Vista, and replaced the words "Windows 2006" with "Linux", and then recompiled and installed the fixed DHDT.

Now my laptop is running Ubuntu 100% problem free! Thanks to the person who posted about this originally.
    That's an entirely separate issue. Your system is designed to use the new Intel IGD OpRegion specification. This isn't supported in versions of Windows before Vista, so with your change to the DSDT it's falling back to the old-fashioned code. I've added support for this to Linux, which should be shipping in 2.6.27.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mjg59 View Post
    That's an entirely separate issue. Your system is designed to use the new Intel IGD OpRegion specification. This isn't supported in versions of Windows before Vista, so with your change to the DSDT it's falling back to the old-fashioned code. I've added support for this to Linux, which should be shipping in 2.6.27.
    Ah, cool. I still thank him because the brightness key issue had been bugging me since I first started using Ubuntu in Feisty, and I wouldn't have thought to check for different tables until his post.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmightyCthulhu View Post
    Response to Matthew Garrett's assumption that the bad BIOS is "not a bug":

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/...tthew-garrett/
    Do you have the link to Matt's original post?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jimv View Post
    Do you have the link to Matt's original post?
    He went to Red Hat's Bugzilla and marked it "Closed: Not a bug", apparently this was a mistake on his part as he later comments in the page, I snapped on the concern that he was closing bugs without even a vague idea of what my BIOS was doing, or how Linux responded to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Please be smart about the situation, and we can all garner the best result for the Linux community.

Almighty. you already have the community's attention. Be the bigger OS, and live up to it's heritage. This will be resolved. PLEASE, Please, please.... there is no reason to sensationalize this. But be vigilant. Whether intentional, or not.... For Foxconn's credit, on short notice, they have sent CBrunning to this thread to help us. Give Foxconn some time, we all know that they are "trying" to fix the problem. Their effort will reveal their intentions.

However, if the solution is half-hearted or unacceptable, then take more action. I don't want this to be placated, but for now, have patience. I think Foxconn recognizes that shoddy programming and support is unacceptable. The 150k+ views should tell them that. TheAlmightyCthulhu seems knowledgeable, and he is in the unique position of a mediator for this process. Live up to your potential. I for one, am deeply intrigued as to how a leading manufacturer will handle this situation, as it impacts the entire market.

And If CBrunning is not getting the upper level support he needs, perhaps he should ask his superiors if Foxconn is serious about upholding the marketing departments claim of Linux ACPI support. If marketing is not, then Foxconn should realize that they are cutting themselves out of an emerging market.

Here's to hoping it gets resolved amicably.

- Runamok

Beans

What, might I ask, has been done to TheAlmightyCthulhu's avatar and user title? This is a guy who has gone out of his way to help the community and it looks like he's being derided by someone with too much power on their hands.

Edit: Just saw MY new user title. Very cute, mate. Very cute.
    Last edited by Dark Angel; July 27th, 2008 at 12:08 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast