Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Ubuntu To A New Computer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation Moving Ubuntu To A New Computer

As the title suggests im trying to move Ubuntu to a new computer. Im looking at ways of backing up all my applications, configurations and other data. Now here is my question

Is there anyway to move/copy all of my installed applications/libraries to my new Hardy PC.

Ive tried aptoncd & creating an install script in synaptic but there is a snag. Aptoncd cannot find all of my packages (stuff from tarballs and the like) and the install script made by synaptic only installs packages that are found in the repos. I need all of the packages/libaries that are installed on this computer to be copied over to the new computer without making it unusable.

Ive already backed up all of my data in my /home directory and need to know if there is anything else that i need to backup.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Germ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Moving Ubuntu To A New Computer

If you have an external, use:
    http://www.clonezilla.org/download/sourceforge/

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro

If i make a image of my current system and then restore it on the new computer won't there be issues with the different hardware??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is a package that makes a 'live cd' of your current install. I can't remember the name at the moment. Basicaly it takes everything except your /home/ dir and there is also an option to make a backup of your entire system and make it an install dvd. So you can stick it in any new pc and run the install and a few mins later you got everything preinstalled
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyTheGeek View Post
    If i make a image of my current system and then restore it on the new computer won't there be issues with the different hardware??
    How different is your new computer?

Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro

New computer:
    PDF LINK >> https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon..../171948090.pdf
    +1 extra GB RAM

Old Computer:
    256mb RAM
    40 GB ATA drive
    2.0 Ghz Intel Pentium IV (512 kb L2 cache)
    15 (apx) inch CRT screen
    intel AC'97 sound card
    usb keyboard + mouse
    CD-RW drive
    floppy drive

-Germ

Beans
    Distro

I cannot assure you it will work, but you can try. The kernel is supposed to load the modules according to the hardware it faces, but it doesn't always work.

Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro

Assuming I do restore an image onto the different hardware. How do i install the Grub bootloader?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
    There is a package that makes a 'live cd' of your current install. I can't remember the name at the moment. Basicaly it takes everything except your /home/ dir and there is also an option to make a backup of your entire system and make it an install dvd. So you can stick it in any new pc and run the install and a few mins later you got everything preinstalled
    If that works, that is brilliant.

That is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

I have Ubuntu pretty nicely set up on a 5400rpm laptop drive, but I want to install it as a dual boot on my old 7200rpm laptop drive.

The 7200rpm drive already has XP on it, so I will want to make a live CD from my current install and reinstall it on my new drive.

If I do this, will it transfer everything "as-is"?

Basically, I cant be bothered to spend days setting ubuntu up again,and just want to be able to take everything as it is, as transfer it, making a dual boot in the process...

Any help on this would be excellent!

Beans
    Distro

Ive done some more research and found remastersys. Remastersys is a way to create a liveCD/DVD of your existing system.

Instructions are at >> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-c...mastersys.html

use the repos from this thread >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=685911

My problem is that I only have 3GB left free on my /home partition. Is there anyway to allow remastersys to make the iso on a portable HD/iPod (80GB classic in disk mode).

Remastersys can also be used to create CD/DVD for distribution minus the user data.

-Germ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast