Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to play AMR audio files

Beans

Re: How to play AMR audio files

ffmpeg has moved to libopencore for its amr support. The command line switches have changed. You can get .debs for libopencore at http://debian-multimedia.org/pool/ma...encore-amr.php. You need to grab all of them for your architecture.

Beans

Hi Mark Rose,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
    ffmpeg has moved to libopencore for its amr support. The command line switches have changed.
    I have not tested libopencore-amr extensively but my impression so far is the commandline options themselves had not changed. Of course in FFmpeg amr encoding is now called as -acodec libopencore_amrnb and there is no libopencore_amrwb encoding. But of course I have not used libopencore-amr extensively yet and I am quite prepared to be corrected here .

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Andrew... I'm lost. I would like to play some AMR files too... Don't spend too much time on the answer... A friend put Jaunty on my computer... I think it seems like a great idea but I really don't have a clue about how to install new programs in Jaunty. Could you give me one or two basic and guiding ideas? Reading is not my forte especially having to read through so many things I know nothing about- but if you think you could give me a skeleton explanation of how to do some basic things in Linux... I would be grateful...
    Thanks,
    -Brian

Beans

Hi Brian,

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Boff Kapow View Post
    Andrew... I'm lost. I would like to play some AMR files too...
    It is a pity that it is not a lot easier to do under Linux, Ubuntu is not the only distro that digs in its heels over amr... I believe the easiest way to get amr playback under Jaunty Jackalope is:

--------------------------

1. Add the Medibuntu repositories.

This is done under Jaunty by pasting the following commands into your terminal, first:

Code:
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
    and then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
    When asked if you accept a package even though it is unauthenticated type 'Yes' and this indicates that you trust Medibuntu, as I do.

2. Install MPlayer

Now when you install MPlayer you will be installing the Medibuntu version which has the capability of amr playback:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mplayer w32codecs
    -----------------------------

The w32codec pack is not required for playback of these files but it means MPlayer will be able to play many files that use windows-only codecs. There are countless variations for this but this is the simplest method under Jaunty Jackalope.

I have just repeated this process on a clean install of Jaunty and tested it with the following amr file which I invite you to also download and test:

Code:
    wget http://andrews-corner.org/samples/Rammstein_Du_Hast.3gp
    I attach a screenshot of this file playing under Jaunty, bear in mind that amr sound is pretty bad at the best of times .

All the best,

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; August 21st, 2009 at 07:56 AM.

Beans

Thanks Andrew!

Part of making linux work is supressing the excitement for having been given some instructions and then giving an accurate account of what went wrong... Okay... so it was very cool to get a response... I had your reply on my screen and when I went to fetch the terminal I covered up the first bit of code and copied the second instead. ... W32codecs is not available. I then go back and see the first code and paste it in. works. I plug the other bits in and look for Mplayer in applications and assume you mean Movie Player. Isn't able to play. Next thing I'm going to try is reloading Movie Player. I think this means that I have to go to Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for Movie Player and download it? Which... will enable the codecs you helped me with?

Thanks again for the response.
    Brian

Beans

I managed to get the files to play in the proper player... although when the connected eighth notes appear over my .amr files as I pass over them with my mouse, they don't play. too bad... it makes it a lot nicer to check the number of files I make every day collecting phone numbers and addresses. Seems the slider doesn't work either and no info on the length of the recording. I would definitely like to skip through to different parts of the file also- pretty much an essential tool for checking longer recordings of things on the radio or TV... conversations with friends etc.

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to unmount my phone card so some of the files must have been damaged or altered- Mplayer says the stream is non-existent.
    Even when my phone has run out of batteries while recording, it still manages to save the file first so I don't think it had anything to do with my phone. I have the Sony Ericsson z710i.
    To my ears, the small speaker on the phone suits amr files though I can play them louder on the computer. Nonetheless, they sound pretty good.

I heard that there are programs which can repair damaged amr files. I would like to find one.

I have put all the files on a DVD.

A couple of questions remaining:

Why does my screen saver- the one where you fly over a plane and past some fireworks- make my system crash? I assume it is because I only have 500 mbytes of ram?

Is there any way to make Mplayer the default player and get rid of Totem player?

Hope you had a good sleep.

Thanks
    Last edited by Biff Boff Kapow; August 21st, 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Beans

Hi Brian,

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Boff Kapow View Post
    I managed to get the files to play in the proper player...
    Good to hear you have had some success, although I realise from the rest of your post you have a few other issues. I am no expert on phones but I believe the need or amr is slowly fading as newer phones are capable of aac playback which has a much superior sound and many are capable of utilising the mp4 container which is vastly superior to 3gp. But I guess there are still a lot of amr files floating around...

Is there any way to make Mplayer the default player and get rid of Totem player?
    The copy of MPlayer that you now have is quite capable but it is still a little old and may very well fail you in other areas. If I were you I would keep a few different players available just to be sure. And as well I am not entirely sure how to manipulate the 'default' settings for players .

Hope you had a good sleep.
    Indeed I slept like a log and I am now ready and prepared for my grandchildren to wreck my house all day on their visit .

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi Brian,

It is a pity that it is not a lot easier to do under Linux, Ubuntu is not the only distro that digs in its heels over amr... I believe the easiest way to get amr playback under Jaunty Jackalope is:

--------------------------

1. Add the Medibuntu repositories.

This is done under Jaunty by pasting the following commands into your terminal, first:

Code:
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
    and then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
    When asked if you accept a package even though it is unauthenticated type 'Yes' and this indicates that you trust Medibuntu, as I do.

2. Install MPlayer

Now when you install MPlayer you will be installing the Medibuntu version which has the capability of amr playback:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mplayer w32codecs
    -----------------------------

The w32codec pack is not required for playback of these files but it means MPlayer will be able to play many files that use windows-only codecs. There are countless variations for this but this is the simplest method under Jaunty Jackalope.

I have just repeated this process on a clean install of Jaunty and tested it with the following amr file which I invite you to also download and test:

Code:
    wget http://andrews-corner.org/samples/Rammstein_Du_Hast.3gp
    I attach a screenshot of this file playing under Jaunty, bear in mind that amr sound is pretty bad at the best of times .

All the best,

Andrew
    wow!!! ANDREW!!! man!!! this is working cool... i can play my AMR files in realplayer now...

thanks man!!!
    i believe in Ubuntu!!!
    Portfolio: http://www.rahulrkrishnan.co.nr
    UBUNTU EASY INSTALL 1.1: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ubuntu...53334814714818

Beans

Hi randolf,

Quote Originally Posted by randolf_ambrose View Post
    wow!!! ANDREW!!! man!!! this is working cool... i can play my AMR files in realplayer now...
    Well, I will take full credit if you mean MPlayer, but I suspect that RealPlayer plays amr files on its own anyway .

All the best,

Andrew

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Update: This post is now outdated because as andrew.46 notes, "FFmpeg has dropped support for the non-free amr libraries in favour of opencore-amr". See his opencore-amr post for more info.

You can use ffmpeg. If you're using Ubuntu Hardy you can use ffmpeg from the Medibuntu repository. I believe it has support to decode AMR.

If you're using Ubuntu Intrepid you will have to compile ffmpeg yourself:
    HOWTO: Compile the latest ffmpeg and x264 from source

If you follow that guide, you will need some additional steps to use AMR. First download the amr development packages from the Medibuntu repository:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libamrnb-dev libamrwb-dev
    Then when you configure ffmpeg (step 5 in the guide), you will need to add additional configuration options:
    Code:
    --enable-libamr-nb --enable-libamr-wb
    The ffmpeg command to convert to flac is relatively simple:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i inputfile.amr outputfile.flac
    For ogg vorbis you have several choices depending on how you configured ffmpeg:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i inputfile.amr -acodec vorbis outputfile.ogg
    or:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i inputfile.amr -acodec libvorbis outputfile.ogg
    thanks FakeOutdoorsman works pretty neatly used this to install ffmpeg
    it already has amr in the configure options http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=967

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12