Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Well, unforchanatly this is not the best thread for this question. If you started a new thread then anyone could come across your question and help you out. However, if you post in this thread then you are limited to only people with Lenovo ideapad's. I would highly sugjest you start a new thread in the newbee section or the network section.

Before I would start with all of this. Make sure all the setting in the PPP program your using are corecct. If they are then try a new PPP program to make the conection. Listen if you can hear the modem make nose. If the modem is makeing noise then it is not a ALSA (Sound problem). I would also check to make sure that the "Caller" volume bar is not muted in the ALSAmixer (The sound applet thing). You mite what to get the ALSA working first the instrucitons are on page one of this thread.

Here is a web page that shows how to set up sevral difrent PPP programs.
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/setting-up...in-ubuntu.html
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HunterThomson View Post
    Well, unforchanatly this is not the best thread for this question. However, if you post in this thread then you are limited to only people with Lenovo ideapad's.
    That was the idea. I've cross posted in networking, but I wanted to get the attention of people with similar hardware to see if they have also had problems (I'm guessing not, since I haven't seen much talk of dial up skimming the two threads about this model laptop but it couldn't hurt).

Before I would start with all of this. Make sure all the setting in the PPP program your using are corecct. If they are then try a new PPP program to make the conection. Listen if you can hear the modem make nose. If the modem is makeing noise then it is not a ALSA (Sound problem). I would also check to make sure that the "Caller" volume bar is not muted in the ALSAmixer (The sound applet thing. You mite what to get the ALSA working first the instrucitons are on page one of this thread.
    The settings are correct in the PPP programs I've been using as far as I can tell. I've tried the Smartlink dialer, GnomePPP, and using wvdial from the command line. None are able to detect the modem. It does not make any noise. The ALSA is working, at least for music purposes, including muting with headphones, I worked through upgrading it and smoothing out the quirks using this thread before I started working on the modem issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ Sonyadora - it seems like an appropriate place to me, but what do i know, i'm a newbie too.

I don't know much about dial up systems (do people really still use those?), but i was a little curious if booting with ACPI=off might solve your issue. For some reason, it temporarily fixes my optical drive... sort of.

Beans
    Distro

Owe ya, this is a fine place to post If you have a lenovo Ideapad you can post whatever you want here

I was just saying you mite find more help if you also started a new thead.

I don't think anyone has tried to use the modem before on these laptops. Maybe you need to intall a driver for it??? I think Ubuntu like installs every drive in the world on the system though... I just don't know.

--------------------

chargersfan420.... Sory for not going through you dsdt file yet.. I caused some problems for myself.... I had the stupid though of "Hum... Why don't I try a reinstall of Archlinux" ..... Nightmare situation..... I'll get to work on it as soon as I can. Archlinux takes for ****ing ever to install and setup.....
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

I live in a rural area. Dial up and satellite are the only options, and satellite is too expensive. I'm using the wireless at my workplace right now. I love this laptop, and I don't want to get rid of it, but I also don't want to go back to Windows. I think I will just post this directly to the linmodems ML if no one here has tried to get the modem working on the ideapad.

I'm also curious to see if people have gotten S-Video working? I haven't tried it yet, but I see a few posts from people asking about it, which is a concern to me as I was hoping to be able to hook it up to the tv to show pictures and whatnot.

For some reason I can't get the player to play dvd movies either, although I can burn cds and read data disks just fine. I opened totem from the terminal and got the following:

** (totem:9404): WARNING **: Failed to create dbus proxy for org.gnome.SettingsDaemon: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon': no such name

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1543 ***
    *** for info_length % sizeof(cell_adr_t) == 0 ***

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1678 ***
    *** for info_length % sizeof(uint32_t) == 0 ***

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1543 ***
    *** for info_length % sizeof(cell_adr_t) == 0 ***

libdvdread: Invalid title IFO (VTS_01_0.IFO).
    libdvdread: Invalid IFO for title 1 (VTS_01_0.BUP).

(totem:9404): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:
    Trying to dispose element test_dvdsrc, but it is not in the NULL state.
    You need to explicitly set elements to the NULL state before
    dropping the final reference, to allow them to clean up.
    If anyone knows what the issue is here, please let me know. Don't let me be condemned to Vista!

Beans

Y710 Speakers

Concerning the Y710:

As it turns out, a better choice than:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-nb0763
    in the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file is:

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dell
    It's not a perfect solution, but, when set on 8 channel mode, all of the speakers work. The front channels correspond to the front speakers, the side channels correspond to the speakers near the LCD and both center channels (center and LFE) are through the sub woofer. I suppose it would be ideal to have the correct channels mapped to the correct speakers, but I haven't had a chance to look into how that would be done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Confirmed, that fixes sound for the Y710. It sounds beautiful, better than Vista.

Optical drive still a problem. I have found several bug reports that sound a lot like my problem:
    BUG#8196
    BUG#21860
    There are others, but these seem the most relevant. 8196 suggests some workarounds in building a custom kernel to make sure that the ide-generic module gets loaded early, but i am not really sure how to do this. 21860 suggests at the very end that the problem still persists in Hardy but was no problem in Gutsy. It appears that this problem has been fixed several times over the life of Ubuntu and it keeps recurring. Definitely looks like a kernel issue... fixing the DSDT may help, but i think we would also have to look at the SSDT...?

I will try installing Gutsy on a spare partition tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Code:
    npeirson@npeirson-laptop:~$ lsmod | grep ata
    pata_acpi               9856  0 
    ata_generic             9988  0 
    ata_piix               24196  5 
    libata                176432  3 pata_acpi,ata_generic,ata_piix
    scsi_mod              178488  4 sbp2,sg,sd_mod,libata
    Code:
    npeirson@npeirson-laptop:~$ lsmod | grep ide
    uvcvideo               62084  0 
    compat_ioctl32         11136  1 uvcvideo
    videodev               30720  1 uvcvideo
    v4l1_compat            15492  2 uvcvideo,videodev
    v4l2_common            21888  3 uvcvideo,compat_ioctl32,videodev
    video                  23444  0 
    output                  5632  1 video
    usbcore               169904  6 uvcvideo,hci_usb,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
    ide_cd                 35488  0 
    cdrom                  41512  1 ide_cd
    ide_generic             2560  0 [permanent]
    ide_core              136600  2 ide_cd,ide_generic
    Code:
    npeirson@npeirson-laptop:~$ ls -al /proc/ide
    total 0
    dr-xr-xr-x   2 root root 0 2008-08-26 11:52 .
    dr-xr-xr-x 145 root root 0 2008-08-26 04:31 ..
    -r--r--r--   1 root root 0 2008-08-26 11:52 drivers
    Code:
    dmesg
    [   46.944375] Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
    [   46.944379] ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
    [   46.944696] Probing IDE interface ide0...
    [   47.510285] Probing IDE interface ide1...
    [   48.086313] fuse init (API version 7.9)
    [   48.097485] ACPI: SSDT 7FED733D, 02ED (r1  PmRef  Cpu0Ist     3000 INTL 20061109)
    [   48.097648] ACPI: SSDT 7FED6CCE, 05EA (r1  PmRef  Cpu0Cst     3001 INTL 20061109)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sonyadora,

I can't help you with the S-Video, but you should probably look at these pages:

DVD: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs
    Dial-Up: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gutsy was no different. Still no optical drive.

I am positive this is because my two HDD's are SATA and the optical drive is not. I actually removed it just to see how it was connected... I'm not sure what type of plug that is. Found something on Google that looks just like it... it's the bottom piece in this picture:
    http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...0pin-bare2.JPG

Is that called ATAPI?

Any suggestions how I can get the attention of the Linux ACPI programmers? It appears no one here can help me... (thanks for trying HunterThomson, but after reading those bug reports, i don't think a fully corrected DSDT will solve this issue)

Beans
    Distro

Y710 Fix DSDT.aml File for your use

Chargersfan420..... here is your bug free DSDT.... Well there are still 2 warnings that I can't fix..

As a side note... There is a lot of refrence to Linux or "LINX". In the 710 DSDT. It seems to be grouped with older vertions of windows... You mite want to try setting a ACPI flag to tell the DSDT that your running WidowsXP, See what happens.

Code:
    dsdt.dsl  4579:                         Method (HKDS, 1, NotSerialized)
    Warning  1086 -                                    ^ Not all control paths return a value (HKDS)

dsdt.dsl  5150:                             Method (VPCR, 1, Serialized)
    Warning  1086 -   Not all control paths return a value ^  (VPCR)

ASL Input:  dsdt.dsl - 7600 lines, 273573 bytes, 3049 keywords
    AML Output: dsdt.aml - 28531 bytes 730 named objects 2319 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 2 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 859 Optimizations

P.S. GVIM is the ****! I highly sugjest useing it Way more Syntax and stuff then Gedit or Kate. It works vary well for codeing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HunterThomson; September 1st, 2008 at 11:40 PM.

Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast