Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

I would also like to offer an option for those having sound/headphone/subwoofer problems in Lucid. Conventional wisdom has told us (if you're a real forum snooper) to fill in the "model=" parameter as model=lenovo nb0763; however, I was browsing an ArchLinux forum and one user recommended using

options snd-hda-intel model=auto

for /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

I mention this only because using model=lenovo nb0763 was giving me subwoofer support but not headphones and with it disabled giving me the opposite and only giving me internal mic support with it disabled, but by using model=auto I have everything at the same time!!!

Just something to try...

Beans

There was another suggestion about the 4.1 sound system with a sub-woofer (Dolby Home Theater), here http://techspalace.blogspot.com/2009...in-ubuntu.html

Looks like it is working

options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by innerwolf View Post
    There was another suggestion about the 4.1 sound system with a sub-woofer (Dolby Home Theater), here http://techspalace.blogspot.com/2009...in-ubuntu.html

Looks like it is working :)

That worked for me in 10.04, but sadly it is not working in 10.10 x64 (I get no sound at all when I add this option).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    That worked for me in 10.04, but sadly it is not working in 10.10 x64 (I get no sound at all when I add this option).
    Same here. Anyone have a fix?

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Although I really don't want to, I'm about to recompile alsa again. Back the in the 7.* and 8.* days, alsa had to be recompiled in order to get surround sound. That seemed to be taken care of in Intrepid, Jaunty and Lucid, but it looks like we're back to the hack factory.

Question: I did a clean install of Maverick. Has anyone done a regular upgrade and not experienced this sound problem?

(I wrote instructions for how to recompile alsa a long time back; if anyone's interested, the link to the forum post is here.)
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wyth View Post
    Question: I did a clean install of Maverick. Has anyone done a regular upgrade and not experienced this sound problem?
    I did a regular upgrade (Lucid x64 -> Maverick x64), and surround sound no longer works for me. First time I've ever done an upgrade, and except for this issue it went really well. I'll be doing a clean install later on, as usual (after debugging the sound problems).
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

Beans
    Distro

Although I really don't want to, I'm about to recompile alsa again.
    Definitely report back your findings! If that fixes it, I'll do the same, but I'll let you be the guinea pig. It's the only problem I have with 10.10 but it's pretty bad. Without the surround sound, the volume is so quiet even when it's turned on the way up.

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro

I was a clean installation, as was wyth, but michaelzap was an upgrade. So no correlation there, it would seem.

What about 32-bit versus 64-bit? I'm x64 and michaelzap is, too -- wyth, are you running 32-bit or 64? Is there anyone that has this WORKING?

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Getting ALSA to work on Maverick (10.10)

Okay, I got alsa working with 5.1 surround, and didn't have to recompile. This may have been the providence of a lucky apt-get update break, but nevertheless, here's what's working on my machine:

Seven Steps: ubuntu audio dev team ppa, linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.35-22-generic, options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dell, reboot, alsamixer, sudo alsactl store

Step One: Add the ubuntu audio dev team ppa; they're running the latest alsa drivers, and if you get any help from the officios on Launchpad or elsewhere, they'll ask you to do that anyway.

Step Two: Once the ppa is added, install the new linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.35-22-generic (or whatever floats your kernel's boat)

Step Three: As sudo (root), edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and make sure the only snd-hda-intel option enabled is
    Code:
    That was the only one that worked for me. In the past, lenovo-sky was brilliant, but now only the dell one works... for a lenovo.

Step Four: Reboot your machine to get the new alsa module kick-started

Step Five: Open a terminal and and bring up
    Code:
    alsamixer
    Check the levels -- you'll want to make sure Master, PCM, Front, Surround, Center, LFE, and Side are up.

Step Six: Close alsamixer (just hit esc) and store the settings:
    Code:
    sudo alsactl store
    That should do it -- at least it worked in my case. The one difference between now and about eight hours before I wrote this is there was an update to that linux-alsa-driver-modules.

I'm not positive if that's what did it or what, so if you want to play mad computer scientist and experiment, you could try doing all this without adding that ubuntu audio dev team ppa.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Getting ALSA to work on Maverick (10.10)

That should do it -- at least it worked in my case. The one difference between now and about eight hours before I wrote this is there was an update to that linux-alsa-driver-modules.

I'm not positive if that's what did it or what, so if you want to play mad computer scientist and experiment, you could try doing all this without adding that ubuntu audio dev team ppa.
    OK so I'm trying your steps on my Y530 (10.10x64 Gnome). First I tried just adding the 6stack-dell option to alsa-base.conf and rebooting (on the theory that perhaps the kernel update yesterday resolved the issue). No dice. Then I added the ubuntu audio dev team ppa, installed linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.35-22-generic, and rebooted. Set and saved settings in alsamixer. Still no dice (no sound at all with the 6stack-dell option).

Right now I'm installing a ton of updates, including a lot of PulseAudio packages from the ubuntu audio dev team ppa. So when that's done, I'll restart again and see if it works. It may be necessary to install all of the dev audio packages.
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast