Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Hey guys I'm going to be installing 9.04 onto my friends Y510 since Vista crapped out on him. I am curious what kind of problems I will run into and what should I take care of first? From what I have read I mainly need to fix backlight, sound, and mic off the bat. Is there anything else or any suggestion/recommendations that you can make for a clean install of ubuntu 9.04 on to a y510?

Beans

I just got done with the alsa setup as noted on the first page of this forum. Everything that should be set to 100 in alsa is set to 100 and the sound sounds weak even when maxed out. Maybe its just me

Nevermind it was the PCM
    Last edited by abartylla; August 20th, 2009 at 04:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been well out of this loop for some time (rebuilding some of my machine), but I decided to try the 2.6.30 kernel.

After making sure the Master, PCM, Front, Surround, Center, and LFE sound levels were all cranked to 11, then pulling back from there, the sound works great -- and that was the only thing.

The reason I went with the 2.6.30 kernel was to disable IPv6 system-wide. In the current kernel, IPv6 is enabled automatically, and it can't be turned off without recompiling the kernel. I didn't feel like recompiling, and I wanted the speed boost afforded by turning off IPv6, so 2.6.30 kernel, here we come.

If you're interested in trying it out (and it may solve a few other hardware issues for some), here's what to do (borrowed from the HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide).

In your terminal, run the following commands, depending on the system you're using (32 bit or 64 bit):

i386 users:
    amd64 users:
    Once installed, you'll need to restart. Then adjust your sound as mentioned above. There should be no no need to compile ALSA (I haven't had to in two versions), and the backlight and other issues aren't problems for me.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans

Thanks wyth that really simplified my sound issues and the backlight was not a problem for me either. I've spent the past hour crawling through 3 different forums trying to figure out this upside down webcam thing. Is there anyone out there that can give a summary of or the fix to this issue I still do not understand how to fix this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by abartylla View Post
    Thanks wyth that really simplified my sound issues and the backlight was not a problem for me either. I've spent the past hour crawling through 3 different forums trying to figure out this upside down webcam thing. Is there anyone out there that can give a summary of or the fix to this issue I still do not understand how to fix this.
    Nope sorry if the application dosn't have the option to rotate the picture back upright then there is no way to fix it. As far as I remember onone ever fixed it.. well apart from taking apart the laptop.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Hi guys,

Just got a stellar deal on one of these laptops and have been digging through this thread the last 4-5 days..

I see the webcam issue was never worked around... Wyth's seem to better than mine which just renders a black screen. Anyone ever find a solution for the non-working App Launch, Dolby, and EQ touch buttons? Keytouch was a utter fail for me... so I starting looking a little deeper.

Using acpi_listen I learned that App Launch doesnt have an event. No event in xev either.. The Dolby buttons AND the EQ buttons all return a event. Notice I said *A* event...

All of these keys return the acpi code: hotkey ATKD 000000b3 xxxxxxxxxx

Without separate events I am not sure how to proceed, however I have worked up a solution to toggling Surround On/Off

Create these files -

/etc/acpi/events/lenovo-touch-surround
    Code:
    # /etc/acpi/events/lenovo-touch-surround

event=hotkey (ATKD) 000000b3
    action=/etc/acpi/lenovo-touch-surround.sh

/etc/acpi/lenovo-touch-surround.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Script to handle ACPI button press to toggle surround on/off
    #

# Source in ACPI functions
    . /etc/default/acpi-support
    . /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs

ICON=/usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/devices/audio-card.png
    OSD="$(which notify-send)"

getXconsole;
    if [ x"$XAUTHORITY" != x"" ]; then
      xhost +local:root
      VALUE="$(amixer cget numid=4 |egrep -v "type|name" |sed '{s|values=|| ; s| : || ; s|,| | }' | awk '{print $1}')"
      if [ "$VALUE" = "on" ]; then
        [ -n "$OSD" ] && notify-send --icon=$ICON "Surround Sound" "Off"
        amixer cset numid=8 0
        amixer cset numid=7 0
        amixer cset numid=4 0
      else
        [ -n "$OSD" ] && notify-send --icon=$ICON "Surround Sound" "On"
        amixer cset numid=8 1
        amixer cset numid=7 1
        amixer cset numid=4 1
      fi
      xhost -local:root
    fi
    then:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/acpid restart
    This creates an acpi event for the button press and runs the script in /etc/acpi/ which in turn sends a notify event and toggles on/off the following mixer controls: LFE, Center, Surround

Because the same acpi event is returned by the EQ buttons as well pressing any of the following buttons will toggle your surround: Dolby, EQ Jazz, EQ Pop, EQ Dance, EQ Classical, EQ Normal.

Not a perfect solution but it works for me. Tested throughly on a up-to-date Jaunty system.

Hope this helps,
    -onemyndseye

Beans
    Distro

onemyndseye: That looks like some cools stuff. I have no idea how to set it up with out it giving distinct codes though.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Hunter T,

Yeah... cant really proceed with the rest of the buttons without a ACPI or ACPI module patch Im guessing.. and thats abit beyond my realm

But this little solution works well if you are mostly concerned with the Surround button (as I was).. I have found myself using it like a Attenuation switch... for time when I wish to reduce the sound volume for a moment without completely muting the sound or messing with your volume level... then at the touch of a button things return to normal. This action script could be changed to a more accurate example of an Attn button easily enough. Reducing Master Output to ~25% then back to your previous setting at next press.

I'll do some looking around and see if I can locate the piece of code that is responsible for the events and try to get some Idea of how feasible it is to apply a patch... Looking at the list of modules thats loaded now I guess asus_laptop would be a decent place to start.

I will report that I moved to the 2.6.30-5 kernel and the NVIDIA driver 185.18.36 /w libvdpau with no issues at all on a Jaunty system as posted earlier in this thread. Note that for nvidia users the upgrade to 185+ is required or dkms will fail to build it.

Found here:
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...s-drivers-180/

-and-

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...ine/v2.6.30.5/
    Last edited by onemyndseye; August 26th, 2009 at 03:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by onemyndseye View Post
    Hunter T,

Yeah... cant really proceed with the rest of the buttons without a ACPI or ACPI module patch Im guessing.. and thats abit beyond my realm

But this little solution works well if you are mostly concerned with the Surround button (as I was).. I have found myself using it like a Attenuation switch... for time when I wish to reduce the sound volume for a moment without completely muting the sound or messing with your volume level... then at the touch of a button things return to normal. This action script could be changed to a more accurate example of an Attn button easily enough. Reducing Master Output to ~25% then back to your previous setting at next press.

I'll do some looking around and see if I can locate the piece of code that is responsible for the events and try to get some Idea of how feasible it is to apply a patch... Looking at the list of modules thats loaded now I guess asus_laptop would be a decent place to start.

I will report that I moved to the 2.6.30-5 kernel and the NVIDIA driver 185.18.36 /w libvdpau with no issues at all on a Jaunty system as posted earlier in this thread. Note that for nvidia users the upgrade to 185+ is required or dkms will fail to build it.

Found here:
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...s-drivers-180/

-and-

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...ine/v2.6.30.5/
    The hot key table is a BIOS file. It is not the DSDT it is I think the ESDT ??? One of thoughs. You could look at it and see if there is a way to change it to make it do what you want. It's not hard to edit code it is only hard to wright an application form the ground up.

Beans

haha... very true Im not much of a programmer but I'll hack something to pieces from time to time

i.e. I just modded the network-manager-openvpn package to included the sorely missing --float option.

If this is somehting that interest you, you may check it out here (Thread to come):

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1397571/n...dseye1.diff.gz

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1397571/n...seye1_i386.deb

Based on the version in the PPA right now (https://launchpad.net/~network-manager/+archive/ppa)

Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast