Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 635

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

  1. #491
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hawaii
    Beans
    806
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

    Quote Originally Posted by josesilva View Post
    Has anyone gotten sound to work correctly with an Ideapad Y430? I have tried following all the instructions (newer alsa, different models, etc) given here and in the older thread but when I plug in my headphone, the front speakers get muted, but not the subwoofer. Also, my audio properties dialog only shows Master, PCM, Docking Mic, External Mic, and Internal Mic for Playback. I do NOT see LFE, Center and all those options that other members have mentioned.

    Ideapad Y430 has the following soundcard:
    ==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 <==
    Codec: Nvidia ID 3

    ==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#2 <==
    Codec: Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)

    Alsa, altough the subwoofer "works," it works like another speaker and does not provide bass sound. Everything else works on this laptop (haven't tested SD/MMC/etc, HDMI, Modem, firewire)

    Any ideas?

    Check out this file and look for your sound card or close enough.
    Then try out the modules it has for it.

    Code:
    gedit /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver*/alsa-kernel/Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt

    I am fairly sure you can restart ALSA with this command

    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/alsa restart
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    You could also try alsaconf

    enter root

    Code:
    su -
    Then run this just take all the defaults unless you know it is wrong

    Code:
    alsaconf
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

  2. #492
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Beans
    148
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

    Dell just delayed my order again too the 17th... I called about it and they said don't expect it till Aug. I just canceled my order and bought the Dell Studio XPS 13' w/ 8.10...They said the part that was on backorder was the 16gb ssd. So for future reference don't get it with the ssd till Dell gets their act together!
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

  3. #493
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hawaii
    Beans
    806
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilMize View Post
    Dell just delayed my order again too the 17th... I called about it and they said don't expect it till Aug. I just canceled my order and bought the Dell Studio XPS 13' w/ 8.10...They said the part that was on backorder was the 16gb ssd. So for future reference don't get it with the ssd till Dell gets their act together!
    They should have told you that sooner.

    Your better off not getting the Dell SSD. When I read you got that I was like I wish he didn't get that. You have to be really picky when you go SSD shopping. The non-brand-new ones have many many problems that make them not worth having.

    Really, the only SSD you would want to get is a OCZ Vertex MLC or SLC. The OCZ Vertex MLC is Faster and way, way cheaper then the Intel SLC SSD that gets so much publicity. OCZ's customer support is "Unbelievably Good." The Vertex supports TRIM. The Vertex has flash-able Firmware that they keep releasing new versions of. They keep adding more and more features to the SSD's and tweaking them for speed and performance. At this point the Firmware for the OCZ Vertex is a tweaked out work of art.

    Don't be fouled by GSkill with there SSD that has the same controller chip as the Vertex. It is no comparison to the speed and sold coding of the Vertex.

    The Vertex is so fast it was crashing old SATA Controllers! Speeds with new firmware are ~250MB/s Read ~210MB/s Wright
    Last edited by HunterThomson; July 3rd, 2009 at 02:03 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

  4. #494
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Beans
    96
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

    Hey guys, it's been a while.

    I did something stupid, and now i need help...

    My wireless was working fine, but i noticed sometimes it would "skip" a bit... say i was downloading something, it would come in at 130 K/s, and then jump down to half of that, and then back up, and down, etc.

    I thought maybe i'd give ndisgtk a try, but it didn't work. It claimed to install the driver, but couldn't find the hardware. I might have been able to fix it but i decided i didn't want to use ndis-whatever, so I didn't spend much time on it.

    Now I'd like to go back to the way it was, but I can't seem to figure out how. I have no wireless at all now, wlan0 does not exist, and i found drivers at intellinuxwireless.org but installing them did nothing. (this machine has an Intel Pro/Wireless 4965 agn card in it)

    Other things i've tried include rolling back to kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (from -13-generic), reinstalling kernel headers, restricted modules, backports... nothing seems to have helped. Any ideas?
    | Alienware M17x-R2 | Go Chargers! |

  5. #495
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hawaii
    Beans
    806
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

    Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan420 View Post
    Hey guys, it's been a while.

    I did something stupid, and now i need help...

    My wireless was working fine, but i noticed sometimes it would "skip" a bit... say i was downloading something, it would come in at 130 K/s, and then jump down to half of that, and then back up, and down, etc.

    I thought maybe i'd give ndisgtk a try, but it didn't work. It claimed to install the driver, but couldn't find the hardware. I might have been able to fix it but i decided i didn't want to use ndis-whatever, so I didn't spend much time on it.

    Now I'd like to go back to the way it was, but I can't seem to figure out how. I have no wireless at all now, wlan0 does not exist, and i found drivers at intellinuxwireless.org but installing them did nothing. (this machine has an Intel Pro/Wireless 4965 agn card in it)

    Other things i've tried include rolling back to kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (from -13-generic), reinstalling kernel headers, restricted modules, backports... nothing seems to have helped. Any ideas?
    First get rid of the any other drivers that you installed or blacklist them or whatever. You could try just re-installing the Linux driver. It's in the repo "iwl4965".

    Then

    sudo modprobe wlan0

    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

  6. #496
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hawaii
    Beans
    806
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilMize View Post
    Dell just delayed my order again too the 17th... I called about it and they said don't expect it till Aug. I just canceled my order and bought the Dell Studio XPS 13' w/ 8.10...They said the part that was on backorder was the 16gb ssd. So for future reference don't get it with the ssd till Dell gets their act together!
    Hum, The Dell Mini 10v sounds cool. It fully supports Mac OS out of the box. I'd like to have that just to see how much better Linux is then MacOS. Na, I would just like to learn my way around MacOS a bit. I guess once you install all the BSD and GNU and Linux compatibility it's like real *nix system.

    I like the look of the Dell Studio XPS 13. You will also have a nice processor and graphics card too. I think your better off with the XPS you got. Lets just hope you get it by then end of the year
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

  7. #497
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Beans
    96
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

    Quote Originally Posted by HunterThomson View Post
    First get rid of the any other drivers that you installed or blacklist them or whatever. You could try just re-installing the Linux driver. It's in the repo "iwl4965".

    Then

    sudo modprobe wlan0

    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    Thanks Hunter, but the plot thickens... I can't find iwl4965 in the repo's... am I missing a source or something? There's an iw package, but nothing else that starts with iw. There's no firmware-iw* either.

    Also, earlier today i physically removed and reinstalled the card itself, not sure if that should affect anything here...

    UPDATE: On one hand, I can't use wireless in XP or Vista anymore... that's weird. On the other hand, i managed to get wlan0 back by sudo modprobe iwl4965, but it doesn't do anything, and doesn't survive a reboot. I can't help but think a module is blacklisted somewhere but i can't find it.

    XP and Vista both behave like they know i have a wireless card, they know they have good drivers, but they think the switch on the front is set to off, no matter which way it's set.

    Tempted to try a live CD and see what happens...

    UPDATE: Tried a live CD, and i get the same behavior as i do in Windows. The card is there, the drivers are present, but wireless networking is disabled, no matter which way the switch is set. The switch turns bluetooth on and off on the live CD, which is normal, but doesn't happen in regular ubuntu because i blacklisted bluetooth.

    Fortunately for me, my roommate had a 50 foot Cat5e cable, but this is getting really annoying.
    Last edited by chargersfan420; July 5th, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
    | Alienware M17x-R2 | Go Chargers! |

  8. #498
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hawaii
    Beans
    806
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

    Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan420 View Post
    Thanks Hunter, but the plot thickens... I can't find iwl4965 in the repo's... am I missing a source or something? There's an iw package, but nothing else that starts with iw. There's no firmware-iw* either.

    Also, earlier today i physically removed and reinstalled the card itself, not sure if that should affect anything here...

    UPDATE: On one hand, I can't use wireless in XP or Vista anymore... that's weird. On the other hand, i managed to get wlan0 back by sudo modprobe iwl4965, but it doesn't do anything, and doesn't survive a reboot. I can't help but think a module is blacklisted somewhere but i can't find it.

    XP and Vista both behave like they know i have a wireless card, they know they have good drivers, but they think the switch on the front is set to off, no matter which way it's set.

    Tempted to try a live CD and see what happens...

    UPDATE: Tried a live CD, and i get the same behavior as i do in Windows. The card is there, the drivers are present, but wireless networking is disabled, no matter which way the switch is set. The switch turns bluetooth on and off on the live CD, which is normal, but doesn't happen in regular ubuntu because i blacklisted bluetooth.

    Fortunately for me, my roommate had a 50 foot Cat5e cable, but this is getting really annoying.
    Did the problem get worse after you took the card out?
    Sometimes, just reseting the CMOS can solve strange problems like that. I mean as simple as just selecting reset in the CMOS setup but if you can find the little battery to pull out then do that.

    Ya, I got a 100' Cat5e I will never regret buying it

    All the blacklisted modules in should be in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file.
    I don't know the names of some of these drivers in Ubuntu but it sounds like it should be working now. It should at lest work in the LiveCD.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; July 6th, 2009 at 12:46 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

  9. #499
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Beans
    96
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

    Quote Originally Posted by HunterThomson View Post
    Did the problem get worse after you took the card out?
    Yes, i think that was a big mistake. I remember reading about a problem on the Lenovo forum where removing the wireless card was the only solution. I'm not saying that i had the same problem... i just thought it might help.
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterThomson View Post
    Sometimes, just reseting the CMOS can solve strange problems like that. I mean as simple as just selecting reset in the CMOS setup but if you can find the little battery to pull out then do that.
    Couldn't find the battery. The BIOS has no CMOS related options.

    Anyway, i have it working now, but not quite perfect. In Vista, i tried Fn-F5, which kicked the interface back into gear. After doing that, in Ubuntu i found i could use the card again after typing "sudo modprobe iwlagn", but this won't survive a reboot. Sorry if my knowledge of dealing with modules is limited, but how can I make this change permanent?
    | Alienware M17x-R2 | Go Chargers! |

  10. #500
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Beans
    148
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

    Oops! LOL over the 4th of July weekend my Lenovo's screen finally cracked off! Funny though, it still works! I'm thinking I have a new platform to stream content off now! woot!
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •