Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

results of cat /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    ~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    /dev/sdb2 none swap sw  0       0
    # /dev/sdc0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
    #/dev/scd0     /media/cdrom0   auto user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
    /dev/scd0     /media/cdrom4   auto user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

/dev/sda1       /mnt/vista	auto	defaults	0	0
    /dev/sda5	/mnt/xp		auto	defaults	0	0
    /dev/sda6	/mnt/music	auto	defaults	0	0
    As you can see, i commented out lines and tried a few options... wasn't sure if it was scd0 or sdc0... lol. Also tried cdrom4 because a cdrom0 folder exists, but there's never anything there... i thought by trying for cdrom4, i could see if the directory exists faster than opening cdrom0.

results for: ls /dev/cd
    Code:
    $ ls /dev/cd
    ls: cannot access /dev/cd: No such file or directory
    I think i will probably switch over to 32bit, but i'm in no hurry, so if anyone wants to take a shot at this problem, i'm happy to help the community resolve issues.

Beans

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Try using that, thats currently the cd entry in mine. I find it weird that ubuntu doesn't use /dev/cdrom or /dev/cdrw for it though, you might want to try those if it still isn't working.

Also the /media/cdrom0 folder should exist already, messing with it can potentially cause problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you for your assistance, Morpheun.

This is one of the suggestions i found when googling the problem earlier. I didn't try it since switching the ACHI back to enhanced mode, and i just tried it now with no joy.

Although i don't know what i'm talking about, it seems to me that the problem lies beyond /etc/fstab. There are no entries in /dev that even remotely resemble an optical drive. Folders in /dev include:
    bus, disk, dri, fd, input, net, pts, shm, snd, usb.
    It seems to me that the mount command just relocates devices and filesystems shown as folders... wouldn't the folder have to exist (in /dev) for it to get mounted (elsewhere)?

a couple other things i have noticed:

1. after booting, i found this in dmesg:
    [ 62.101979] EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
    Most google results to "e2fsck" are at least 4 years old...

2. While going through the instructions on page 2 to get the sound working, i found this in the alsa-base installation notes:
    Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
    Cannot determine root device. Assuming /dev/hda1
    This error is probably caused by an invalid /etc/fstab

At this point it might also be important to mention that GRUB failed to set up my triple-boot correctly. It found one of my two Windows drives, named it Vista, but in actuality, it found the XP one. Now i have the Vista bootloader booting into GRUB when I select Ubuntu. I have learned that most OS's get their basic hardware information from the bootloader, so perhaps this could also be a cause of the issues...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheun View Post
    Hey HunterThomson, I don't want to completely derail this thread but, I'm working on installing Arch on a seperate partition from Ubuntu, I am rather experienced with Arch, but I'm having trouble getting a working xorg.conf for this computer, did you generate one with hwd or write your own? If you did anything special in making it I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't realy remember if I did anything specal to make Xorg work. I did install a new driver for the intel X3100 grafix card....

Atached is my xorg.conf
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan420 View Post
    Thank you for your assistance, Morpheun.

This is one of the suggestions i found when googling the problem earlier. I didn't try it since switching the ACHI back to enhanced mode, and i just tried it now with no joy.

Although i don't know what i'm talking about, it seems to me that the problem lies beyond /etc/fstab. There are no entries in /dev that even remotely resemble an optical drive. Folders in /dev include:
    bus, disk, dri, fd, input, net, pts, shm, snd, usb.
    It seems to me that the mount command just relocates devices and filesystems shown as folders... wouldn't the folder have to exist (in /dev) for it to get mounted (elsewhere)?

a couple other things i have noticed:

1. after booting, i found this in dmesg:
    [ 62.101979] EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
    Most google results to "e2fsck" are at least 4 years old...

2. While going through the instructions on page 2 to get the sound working, i found this in the alsa-base installation notes:
    Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
    This error is probably caused by an invalid /etc/fstab

At this point it might also be important to mention that GRUB failed to set up my triple-boot correctly. It found one of my two Windows drives, named it Vista, but in actuality, it found the XP one. Now i have the Vista bootloader booting into GRUB when I select Ubuntu. I have learned that most OS's get their basic hardware information from the bootloader, so perhaps this could also be a cause of the issues...?
    Run the alsascript and I also attached my "install-script" script. So, just install the 'install-script' script.

open in a text editor like gedit and 'Save As' alsascript ((Cut off the ".txt")) and save it to the home directory.

Then in the shell...

Code:
    sudo chown root:root ~/instal-script
    sudo chmod 755 ~/install-script
    sudo mv ~/install-script /usr/bin
    Then to install scripts all you have to do is. Put it in the home directory. Then in the shell...

Code:
    sudo install-script
    That will make installing script a lot faster.

After you do that make sure you have...

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-ms7195-dig
    At the end of this file...

Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    Restart the computer and type alsascript in the shell. Sound should work now.

The "e2fsck" (ext2 File System Check) will check your ext2/ext3 file system for errors and corect them. This should be done auto at boot after a certen # of mount cycals. But you can do it your self. It can not be run on a mounted file system. So, boot up into a Live CD and run this comand...Replase "XXX" with what it should be for the partiton you want to check.

Code:
    e2fsck -fp /dev/XXX
    also see

Code:
    man e2fsck

As for the...

found: /boot/grub
    Well, is /dev/hda1 the corect location? Also, I am going to edit the Ubuntu Sould instructions. You don't have to install alsa. That was for Ubutnu7.10...Ubuntu8.04 alredy has the newest ALSA or at leest new enough.

As for the Vista problem... look about I am sure you are not the first one to have it. Make a new thread for that one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HunterThomson; August 13th, 2008 at 09:07 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you for the script, but unfortunately, it didn't help... yet. It looks like it can be of use if we can get to the root of the problem.

I have attached a screenshot from both device manager and the volume control panel. Unfortunately, i was unable to take a screenshot when i go to File - Change Devices, so i will list off my entries here:
    * 0: HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer)
    1: HDA ATI HDMI (Alsa Mixer)
    2: Realtek ALC888 (OSS Mixer)
    3: Playback: ALSA PCM on front:0 (ALC883 Analog) via DMA (PulseAudio Mixer)
    4: Capture: Monitor source of ALSA PCM on front:0 (ALC883 Analog) via DMA (PulseAudio Mixer)
    5: Capture: ALSA PCM on front:0 (ALC883 Analog) via DMA (PulseAudio Mixer)
    0 is the regular control panel (from the screenshot). The only thing that seems to work (output-wise) is the Front speaker control, PCM and Master, which all do the same thing.
    1 only lets me flip a switch on IEC958, i'm assuming its for HDMI, which i don't have a use for just yet.
    2 is a stripped down version of the regular control panel, and nothing here works except for (master) "volume".
    3, 4, and 5 give me a master volume level only.

I am just curious if all of this should be here or perhaps i have conflicting drivers...? Also, does Device Manager look normal in the screenshot?

I have a few ideas on the optical drive, and will report findings later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan420 View Post
    Thank you for the script, but unfortunately, it didn't help... yet. It looks like it can be of use if we can get to the root of the problem.

I have attached a screenshot from both device manager and the volume control panel. Unfortunately, i was unable to take a screenshot when i go to File - Change Devices, so i will list off my entries here:
    * 0: HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer)
    1: HDA ATI HDMI (Alsa Mixer)
    2: Realtek ALC888 (OSS Mixer)
    3: Playback: ALSA PCM on front:0 (ALC883 Analog) via DMA (PulseAudio Mixer)
    4: Capture: Monitor source of ALSA PCM on front:0 (ALC883 Analog) via DMA (PulseAudio Mixer)
    5: Capture: ALSA PCM on front:0 (ALC883 Analog) via DMA (PulseAudio Mixer)
    0 is the regular control panel (from the screenshot). The only thing that seems to work (output-wise) is the Front speaker control, PCM and Master, which all do the same thing.
    1 only lets me flip a switch on IEC958, i'm assuming its for HDMI, which i don't have a use for just yet.
    2 is a stripped down version of the regular control panel, and nothing here works except for (master) "volume".
    3, 4, and 5 give me a master volume level only.

I am just curious if all of this should be here or perhaps i have conflicting drivers...? Also, does Device Manager look normal in the screenshot?

I have a few ideas on the optical drive, and will report findings later.
    Well the alsascript should have set the "ch"(chanels) to "ch6" (6 chanels). Check it anyway in the "Options tab".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheun View Post
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Try using that, thats currently the cd entry in mine. I find it weird that ubuntu doesn't use /dev/cdrom or /dev/cdrw for it though, you might want to try those if it still isn't working.

Also the /media/cdrom0 folder should exist already, messing with it can potentially cause problems.
    FYI, the /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrw devices are just symlinks to whatever the actual cdrom device is, in this case /dev/scd0. These are usually generated automagically, since some programs use the symlinks rather than figuring out what the CD device is.
    Visit my blog! -> tuxrant.blogspot.com
    Help fix my bugs! Bug #251142 & Bug#255393.

.evets, Ubuntard #23275

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ HunterThomson - confirmed, the volume control is set to 6ch. Still no joy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ HunterThomson - I didn't notice you edited your post with the sound script... i played around with it a bit, noticing a " symbol was missing early on. It seemed to do what it was designed for... but no change to the status.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterThomson View Post

Well, is /dev/hda1 the corect location?
    Actually, no, i don't think it is... my hard drives are picked up as sda and sdb instead of hda / hdb. I think this also relates to my optical drive problem...

My root drive is sdb6... i see in /boot/grub/menu.lst i have this:
    root (hd1,5)
    Is this the source of that error?

Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast