Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Note,

NEVER BUY ATI !!!!!

My new laptop is STILL NOT WORKING !!!! I got it on wensday and spent every waking second on it. ~8am->1am everyday.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by HunterThomson View Post
    Note,

NEVER BUY ATI !!!!!

My new laptop is STILL NOT WORKING !!!! I got it on wensday and spent every waking second on it. ~8am->1am everyday.
    noted... whad you end up getting?
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMize View Post
    noted... whad you end up getting?
    The hp elitebook 8530w it is a MobileWorkstation so it has a strange grafics card Mobiliy FireGL 5700 which is realy a Radeon HD3650.

I am stuck using Ubuntu I cant use it in archlinux do to the ATI. Arg
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

The hp elitebook 8530w it is a MobileWorkstation so it has a strange grafics card Mobiliy FireGL 5700 which is realy a Radeon HD3650.

I am stuck using Ubuntu I cant use it in archlinux do to the ATI. Arg
    Not to be a douche, but i never buy hp for reasons liek that...

I'm thinking of getting the dell studio xps 13'... I'm assuming there will be good support for it on accounta it's dell... Now I just got to convince my boss that my lenovo is broken and the company needs to get me a new one... maybe its time i go back to windows... tehehe
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMize View Post
    Not to be a douche, but i never buy hp for reasons liek that...

I'm thinking of getting the dell studio xps 13'... I'm assuming there will be good support for it on accounta it's dell... Now I just got to convince my boss that my lenovo is broken and the company needs to get me a new one... maybe its time i go back to windows... tehehe
    I would have been fine it I got the nvidia card... Well the BIOS didn't even see my SSD if I had even one logical partition. That took me two days to figure out. Then came the ATI problem so I can only use Redhat or Debian based Linux (even then the ATI catalyst is VARY sketchy). Then came the problem with Ubuntu all bugged out with the Intel 5300 wireless card. Now I am using #!Crungbang Linux. It is OK....

Didn't you just get your laptop? I don't know maybe you should just keep it.
    Or just start opening and closing it until it brakes... Just a thought.

Trust me, I had to install Vista on this ideapad so I can sell it and boy it is not easier at all. Just a different set of problems. At lest with Linux you can fix the problems. What you want is "Arch Linux" boy as long as you don't have ATI it is hands down the best distro. NO problems at all. It just dose what you tell it, no more no less.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; May 19th, 2009 at 10:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro

FIY: Lenovo will not even try to fix your laptop if your warranty is up. AND they will not sell you extended warranty if your laptop is more then 30 days out of warranty. SO, there is no hope of fixing my laptop.
    NOT TRUE! Lenovo is very customer oriented and _WILL_ sell you an extended warranty if yours has expired. I know I just got a warranty for mine and it's warranty had expired 68 days ago. Within the United States, call 1-800-656-6291 and a trained service representative will assist you with your warranty upgrade.

As far as Lenovo droping Linux. I remeber you saying that before. It seems your right they are droping suport.
    NOT TRUE! Lenovo is _INCREASING_support for Linux. Before you post information that is _wrong_ please get your facts straight.

Cheers...
    Last edited by archer6; May 22nd, 2009 at 12:18 AM.
    My Dual Boot ThinkPads... W700 ~ W500 ~ T500 ~ T60 ~ X60s

Dedicated Ubuntu Thinkpads... T400 ~ X301 ~ X200s ~ R51

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    NOT TRUE! Lenovo is very customer oriented and _WILL_ sell you an extended warranty if yours has expired. I know I just got a warranty for mine and it's warranty had expired 68 days ago. Within the United States, call 1-800-656-6291 and a trained service representative will assist you with your warranty upgrade.

NOT TRUE! Lenovo is _INCREASING_support for Linux. Before you post information that is _wrong_ please get your facts straight.

Cheers...
    Right on, Glad to here you had a different experience.

Though, You can not buy a Thinkpad with Linux like you could before. They only offer Windows. HP and Dell offer Linux or at lest Linux support as the case is with HP. They will not sell you SUSE Linux installed on there elitebook but they do give tec support for SUSE Linux.

Also, the CEO was quoted as saying that Linux has no future.

Also, it is the Official policy of Lenovo not to sell you extended warranty if your warranty is out of date or past the "grace period". I don't know how long the grace period is but I just assumed it was 30days scents when I called 40 latter it was out of the grace period.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; May 22nd, 2009 at 04:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Uh huh. Okay archer6, I'll show you my facts if you show me yours.

The following are from or about Lenovo’s Worldwide Competitive Analyst, Matt Kohut. This is the guy who meets with vendors, the press, and Microsoft, and helps determine the market direction that Lenovo will head in.

• Linux on Netbooks is Doomed (April 21, 2009):
      • "Linux is going to remain a niche market."
      • “You have to know how to decompile codes and upload data, stuff that the average person, well, they just want a computer." (My wife asked what that means; she's used Linux for three years and has never decompiled code or uploaded data.)
      • Here's Kohut saying what Linux needs to do to catch up with Windows: “Linux needs to get to the point where if you want to plug something in, Linux loads the driver and it just works."
      • “I’ve played around with Linux enough to know that there are some that are better at this than others. But, there are some that are just plain difficult.”
      • “From a vendor perspective, Linux is very hard to support because there are so many different versions out there: do we have Fedora, do we have SUSE, do we have Turbo Linux?"
      • “So, until Linux gets to the point where it is easy, it’s not going to succeed on netbooks and I’ve not seen the Linux community make a serious effort to get to that point."
      • “I think that some of them even like the fact that it is a little difficult and that it isn’t accessible to the average user."
      • “Linux in netbooks and notebooks I don’t think is ever going to happen.”

• Lenovo on the Future of the Netbook (May 9, 2009):
      • Says Linux is too hard, and Lenovo will be pushing Windows 7 on netbooks, even though he admits Windows 7 will not have a true netbook version.

Carla Schroder looks into Kohut's pronouncements at Linux Today in her April 21, 2009 article This is Why Lenovo Sucks at Linux. She finds this gem on Kohut's Lenovo blog from September, 2007 that starts with "Why on earth would you want to run Linux on a mobile PC?", then snarkily predicts he'll be insulted by those childish Linux users, and then lays out a string of complaints about Linux that might have made sense 5 years ago. He clearly has all kinds of respect for the community and the product.

Schroder also points out places in Kohut's blog where he discusses Lenovo changing and adapting it's hardware to accommodate shortcomings in Windows 7, while he's telling his audience how great Windows 7 is.

• In a February 26, 2009 blog post, Kohut starts by telling his audience "You're going to want Windows 7. It’s that good." In the next paragraph, he notes that Lenovo is developing its own tools to overcome some of Windows 7's incapabilities, like printing to your office computer when you're on your home network. Lenovo had to develop a tool to make sure Windows 7 doesn't do that.

• In that same post, she also finds this gem from Kohut: "Yet, our dilemma is clear – at what point does Windows offer “good enough” functionality that we should abandon our own tools and focus on something else?" Check that again; he's talking smack about Linux, pushing Windows like its ******, and in the same breath, admits Windows doesn't offer "good enough" functionality.

So -- did you catch all that? Linux is far too hard for anyone to use, yet Lenovo is spending cash to develop technology that will pick up the slack on known Windows shortcomings. Schroder puts it best when she says this is the tail wagging the dog.

But I have a hard time believing a company would willingly invest that much time and cash to fix something they admit has flaws unless the OS they're developing tools for already made a deal with them, and there's little choice. Reading his attitude toward Linux sounds like he's had a few lunches with Balmer -- and that's his job (to have lunch with Balmer and people like him). It sounds like Lenovo, at least when it comes to netbooks, had determined their position long before they took a look at either technology's strengths and weaknesses, and are now justifying that choice.

Besides, if Linux was as bad has he suggests, he wouldn't need to tear into it in his blog or in interviews. It would be self-evident. If Windows 7 was that good, he wouldn't need to sneak in the bits about them creating tools to fix its flaws while selling it like some carnival barker. The tools wouldn't be necessary.

Yet he does tear into Linux, and crows about how Lenovo is diving head-long into the Windows 7 space. That suggests to me that they're trying to poison the well; they've already got a deal with Microsoft, feel threatened by Linux (rightfully or not), and need to spread as much bad news about their perceived competition ahead of time in the hopes of guaranteeing a few more sales.

This is the last Lenovo I'll buy. I may sell it to my brother, but somehow I feel like that'd be unethical.

By the way, Dell just featured the Inspiron Mini 10v running Ubuntu, Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and Android. I think that's three more distros than Kohut and Lenovo could handle.

-------------------------------------

The Access Connections baffles me. On three laptops running multiple distros, I've never had a problem going from my office at school to my apartment, and the computer decided to print to my office printer rather than the home printer.

On that line about too many distributions from a vendor perspective: I'm not sure he realizes that the underlying structure is pretty much the same on any distribution, it's the package manager and desktop environment a vendor would need to worry about -- and there are about two of each to choose from, RPM or DEB, and Gnome or KDE. Or maybe he does realize it and is just talking crap, but then the examples he gives -- Fedora, Suse and Turbo Linux -- are all RPM-based distros. Besides, look at what Dell does; offer basic support for Ubuntu, and for the heavier stuff, contract out to Canonical. It's not like Lenovo couldn't contract all that complex support out to Novell or Red Hat.

I'd really like to know what he means by "I've played around with Linux enough to know." Is that day-in, day-out steady use for your standard OS? How many days -- a week? Month? A few years? Or was it a few minutes before he just shut it off, said "I've seen enough," and got ready for a meeting in Redmond?
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro

Please understand that I am _not_ being critical of you, as I respect your thoughts and opinions.

I've simply asked that you do not post false and misleading information. I do not blame you, as after all it is others that have mislead you.

You can not buy a Thinkpad with Linux like you could before. They only offer Windows.
    Your statement above is FALSE.

The company I run is currently using 52 brand new (one month old) ThinkPads supplied to us by Lenovo with SLED10 Suse Linux. These replaced the prior Linux ThinkPads that were supplied by Lenovo. In fact I'm writing this post from my corporate Suse Linux ThinkPad at this very moment.

The model is: ThinkPad 7733-3BU pre-loaded with SLED10 Linux

We have deployed ThinkPads with Linux preloaded for over five years.
    Also, the CEO was quoted as saying that Linux has no future.
    Let's remember the politics surrounding the relationship with Microsoft. Just like any politician a CEO is going to say whatever it is that is appropriate for the audience they are speaking to.
    It is the Official policy of Lenovo not to sell you extended warranty if your warranty is out of date or past the "grace period".FIY: Lenovo will not even try to fix your laptop if your warranty is up. AND they will not sell you extended warranty if your laptop is more then 30 days out of warranty. SO, there is no hope of fixing my laptop.
    Your statement above is FALSE.

Lenovo's Official Policy is to sell Laptops with full warranty coverage, and offer extended warranties for those machines. Even if the machine is out of warranty you may still buy an extended warranty.

Lenovo WILL fix your laptop if you do your part. And what might that be? Purchase an extended warranty since you allowed yours to lapse and now expect them to work it. I gave an example in my earlier post where mine was out of warranty for over two months and they happily sold me extended coverage. At this point, since it's obvious that no one is choosing to believe the facts I've stated and no one has made any effort to find the information on the web site I will make it even easier for you to confirm that I am indeed correct.

Lenovo is a huge international company and operates in professional manner. Are they perfect? NO. Does everyone in their company know every policy? NO. Do they make mistakes? Yes. Therefore by simply speaking with one person who tells you no, is rather meaningless. It's unfortunate but as consumers today we must be assertive and in some cases make more than one attempt to get something done.

Lenovo is so serious about providing great service they have not one but two warranty departments. They have the in warranty department, and the post warranty department. Why this is news to you is something that I cannot understand. Personally I have over 20 ThinkPads and each time I've called there has been no trouble either extending the warranty on and in-warranty machine, or an out-of-warranty machine. Here are the web links to prove it.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=UPGD-WARNTY

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/accessories...thinkplus.html

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...docid=TPAD-WSU

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...ocid=TPAD-PWMA

I'm sure you will feel better now to know that you can have Lenovo repair your machine.

They do great work and offer fast turnaround times. I had a hard drive die on one of my personal ThinkPads after it was 3 years old, they replaced it with a new hard drive and returned it to me in just 48 hours.

It is my pleasure to provide the factual information for those who have ThinkPads, IdeaPads, and other Lenovo notebooks, such as the 3000, and Value Lines.

Cheers...
    Last edited by archer6; May 22nd, 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wyth View Post
    Uh huh. Okay archer6, I'll show you my facts if you show me yours.
    The gentleman you reference is but one individual in the upper management team of Lenovo. Being an international company, they have a huge challenge meeting peoples expectations and navigating the treacherous waters of global commerce. The business of mobile computing is a highly charged, very political arena in which they must operate. The gorilla in the room is Microsoft and Lenovo is like Dell land the others, they must watch how they manage the dialog that surrounds various press releases, corporate meetings, public speaking engagements, and responses to the press. Everyone has an agenda. So often times what are perceived as "facts" as you cite here, is really nothing more than the speech of the moment. For some real time facts and feedback from a corporate perspective, backed by actual experience, I refer you to my previous post.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...36#post7328736

Cheers...

Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast