Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

As for the Mic. Mine work. I have to set them to "Front Mic".

Also, I alwas had a problem with my sound not being set the way I like it at start up i.e. most things mutted and stuff. But, I found the answer in the Archlinux Beginners Guide. (note, I edited it a bit so it makes scents out of context)

Saving the Sound Settings

First set the alsamixer to the setting you would like on startup. Then,
    Exit your normal user shell (enter the root shell "sudo su") and run /usr/bin/alsactl as root

Code:
    alsactl store
    This will create '/etc/asound.state', saving the alsamixer settings
    ReuseablePlastix, as for your now not working sound. I am sure there is a simple way to fix it by just editing some files. However, I don't know them or feel line walking through it with you. So, my sugjestion is to go thorugh the ALSA driver install written by wyth. I coppied it to the first page of this thread. If you do all that is there in order it should solve your problem. I think your 530 uses the same audio as the 510 so try the "lenovo-sky" module.... well close enugh. Mine is.....

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
    As for the suspend and resume... We were messing with the DSDT was to solve a backlight problem but ya the suspend/hibernate is a part of ACPI. The reson it dosn't work is Lenovo falt for compileing the BIOS files used in ACPI with Micro$oft's compiler. Suprize suprize MicroShaft's compiler is not standards compliant and it is proprietary. There is no way to know what kind of code is coming out of their compiler unless your Micro$aft. So, in the end ACPI works vary well for Windows becaus Mico$aft knows what code is comeing out of there compiler. But everyone els looks stupid because they are wrighting the BSD kernel and the Linux kernel and UNIX.... based on the ACPI code being standards compliant but the code is not. So, Linux and everyone have to add patches to the ACPI Kernel module for the messed up M$ code as it comes. This is one of the clearist cut casses to show how Miro$oft is bad for the consumer and use unfare business practises. This was also part of the Supreem cort case aginst M$ for monopoly... The case M$ lost but then weaselled out of the punishment of, spliting IE into it's own Compay, by integrating IE into Windows.

On the Same note, if you didn't know, Windows IE also is not standards compliant so MicroSoft was trying to prevert websight code so web sights would only display corectly in Windows IE. This is why Novel droped Netscape started the Mozila project and came out with FireFox. Novel makes there realy money in the Server market. If Micro$aft were to have that hold on the Web they could have pushed everyone ells out of buisness because they would have preverted the code so much that the WWW would only work on MicroCrap Software.

This was working too. IN the early to mid 90's a lot of web dev's were getting lazy and only coding web pages to work on IE. As a resolt a notable part of the web was IE only at the time.

MicroSoft is a vary dangerous compay in terms of development and consumer choice. Use Open Sorce whenever you can.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; April 12th, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro

move along
    Last edited by HunterThomson; April 13th, 2009 at 12:29 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good day everyone!

@ GeorgeVita - Thanks for the great info and the quick response. Unfortunately, there was nothing in the BIOS about the battery. No tuning controls, no regenerator, nothing. That was a little disappointing. I believe my battery is getting a bit old, but there was something about the combination of the 2.6.24-23-generic kernel + Sun xVM Virtualbox 2.1.2 that was killing it faster than it should.

However, I have made the jump to Jaunty 9.04 Beta (64 bit), and I have lots of good news. Before i get to that though, I should probably say...

@ HunterThomson - Sorry, man, but I don't think I'm ready for Arch just yet. I was reading up on it, and I must say I like the concept of minimalist, building from the ground up (especially to get a good understanding of the way things work under the hood), but here are my reasons for not going there yet:
    1. I'm really busy right now - I just don't have the time.
    2. For now, I'd rather be an advanced beginner on Ubuntu than a beginning advanced user on another distro... if that makes any sense.
    3. I wanted to confirm that my upgrade hell situation was caused by the kernel I was stuck on. I've never run powertop before that kernel, and I wanted to see its output on the newest kernel and see how it looked.

Okay, as for my results for Jaunty:
    - Sound didn't work out of the box (front speakers only), but I didn't have to recompile alsa. All I had to do was "sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf" (note the .conf as suggested by autocomplete) and add "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dell" (model works great for Y710's).
    - Webcam worked out of the box!
    - Card reader didn't work on the first try, but just like last time, all i had to do was unplug the card and plug it back in, and it works fine.
    - Virtualbox came out with version 2.2.0, which seems to be working great so far. Slightly fewer core interrupts than I was previously experiencing.
    - ATI Drivers were a little tricky to get in, but are working great for things like compiz. This was the problem I had when I went to 8.10 on release day, and it's nice to see the Ubuntu developers recognized this was a major issue for some and did something about it.
    - Powertop has battery consumption around 8 watts lower (when doing not much), which to me seems to confirm my thesis that 2.6.24-23-generic was messing things up. I also noticed that my cpu scaling governer was set to "ondemand" on both the old kernel and this one (2.6.28-11-generic), but on this one, I'm not stuck in a P-state of 2.51 GHz all the time. The old kernel had me switching the governor to "conservative" or "powersave", but it doesn't seem to be necessary anymore.
    - System boots much faster, especially using LILO, which is still necessary on a Y710 if you want to use your optical drive.
    - Pulseaudio seems to be working without messing with configuration. I can play music through Virtualbox and still get system sounds (such as a music preview when I hover my mouse over an MP3 in nautilus)

Battery capacity has stabilized at about 37% of its original capacity, and is no longer dropping quickly. I get 30 - 45 minutes, depending on what is running. At the moment I have lots running, have been on battery power for 25 minutes, and i supposedly have 11 more to go. I'm going to get a new battery on order.

So far, my only issue is that some of powertop's suggestions don't seem to do anything anymore. It used to say something like "press B to turn off bluetooth", and had the command "hciconfig hci0 down; rmmod hci_usb", but it doesn't suggest this anymore (and as it turns out, the appropriate module to remove is "btusb" anyway, which I inserted into /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist as "blacklist btusb". It also needs to be disabled from System - Administration - Services and System - Preferences - Bluetooth). Powertop keeps suggesting that I enable USB suspend, but the command doesn't do anything. It suggests this for 3 devices: Logitech mouse (umm, kinda need that), Webcam, and Bluetooth (which I have taken care of above).

If anyone else is considering making the jump, let me know if you have any questions, or if I may have overlooked something...

Beans
    Distro

Chargersfan420 I think that if you made an /etc/fstab entre that mite solve your SD card problems.

Make sure you have the file /mnt/fl...

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/fl
    try adding this line to /etc/fstab...

Code:
    /dev/mmcblk0p1     /mnt/fl vfat user,noatime,umask=000     0      0
    Here is a coppy of my /etc/fstab...

Code:
    #
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information
    #
    # <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
    none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
    none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0
    tmpfs                  /tmp          tmpfs     noatime,mode=1777   0      0
    tmpfs                  /var/tmp      tmpfs     noatime,mode=1777   0      0

#/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
    /dev/sr0                /mnt/disk  iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide          0      0
    /dev/mmcblk0p1          /mnt/sd   vfat    user,noatime,umask=000          0      0
    /dev/sdb1               /mnt/usb  vfat    user,noauto,noatime,umask=000   0      0
    /dev/sdb2               /mnt/usb2 vfat    user,noauto,noatime,umask=000   0      0

UUID=f62caae4-6c9b-4abc-bc1b-6d2222a85895 / ext3 noatime,commit=120  0 1
    Last edited by HunterThomson; April 13th, 2009 at 01:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Hey guys I've skimmed through this thread quite a bit for other things but is there any news on getting the built in mic to work with skype? Right now the reason I have been using windows over ubuntu is because of skype... I need it, love it, and and addicted to it...lol

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMize View Post
    Hey guys I've skimmed through this thread quite a bit for other things but is there any news on getting the built in mic to work with skype? Right now the reason I have been using windows over ubuntu is because of skype... I need it, love it, and and addicted to it...lol
    Do you have a Y510 ? Mine works fine in Skype. I have go in to the ALSA-Mixer and set both the mic's to "Frount Mic". I think I set someing in skype too... But it should work use frount mic setting in alsa and then go form there. You'l find a setting that works.

You should try a SIP phone though, it's Open Source. Skype uses it's own proprietary code that has been shown to pose a security risk. Also, Skype has rolled over to the US goverment and rout all your calls throught NSA computers and give up any and all info to whoever asks for it. Useing non-standard compliant software in the VOIP world poses the same threat to free thought and quality product as with any other field of software development.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Open+Source+VOIP+Software

""I love the computer world my anarchist beliefs can be argued soundly here.""
    Last edited by HunterThomson; April 20th, 2009 at 07:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

um... i personally dont care about the government listening in on my calls lol

and i played with the alsa mixer a bit but its confusing as heck... i cant figure out how to get to like more advanced settings... all i can do is raise vlume levels...lol

yes i have a y510
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

K so first off thanx again hunter for your help with the alsa drivers...

Upgraded to Jaunty like 30min ago and im having issues with getting compiz to work. When I go too the appearance tab under preferences and set the effects to extra it says "searching for available drivers", the screen flashes and then a window pops up saying "desktop effects could not be enabled" and the screen flashes a second time.

I have no idea where to go to enable compiz? I have it installed and I can play with the Compiz Config settings manager but I cant get the effects to show up.

Can some body point me in the right direction? If I go back in the tutorial and try the trouble shooting made for 8.10 will that work? Soo lost...

BTW everything else is working just the same before i upgraded except for the whole graphics issue...
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMize View Post
    K so first off thanx again hunter for your help with the alsa drivers...

Upgraded to Jaunty like 30min ago and im having issues with getting compiz to work. When I go too the appearance tab under preferences and set the effects to extra it says "searching for available drivers", the screen flashes and then a window pops up saying "desktop effects could not be enabled" and the screen flashes a second time.

I have no idea where to go to enable compiz? I have it installed and I can play with the Compiz Config settings manager but I cant get the effects to show up.

Can some body point me in the right direction? If I go back in the tutorial and try the trouble shooting made for 8.10 will that work? Soo lost...

BTW everything else is working just the same before i upgraded except for the whole graphics issue...
    Compiz alwas gives me a headache. I am happy to say that it now works with the intel chipset no problem i.e. no VLC problem. (or at lest did on my laptop with 8.10) It seemed to me that using the appearance tab under preferences (the one you get from right clicking the Gnome Desktop) Messed things up. I found it was better to use the "Compiz Icon" wich is it's own application you can find in the "Add Remove" application. Try uninstalling compiz, Then delete the config file wich can be found in your home folder... Something like /home/user/.compiz or like /home/user/.config/compiz .. maybe /home/user/.gnome/compiz.... Anyway get rid of that then install compiz then the settings manager then "Compiz Icon". Use the "Compiz Icon" to turn it on/off.

What you are describing sounds just like what use to happen to me way back in 7.10 when it didn't work with the intel driver. If you have a ATI or Nividia card then make sure you have the drivers installed for that card. Ubuntu should have given you a pop-up after install telling you there are proprietary drivers avalabel for install.

But, you mite get more help starting a new thread. I don't know that much about compiz. Like I said it gives me a headache and I don't use it. I used it for a cuple weeks then got over it. I like to keep my system clean and slim. Compiz works wonders when you show your laptop to a Windos user though Then go on to talk about how Linux is far faster/secure/FREE.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; April 24th, 2009 at 05:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is a known bug with Intel graphics cards. A fix is in the works, but it won't be ready for a little while, so there are some work-arounds. This may be the problem (can't tell, haven't upgraded yet).

See the release notes on the problem here, and this thread for some more tweaks.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast