Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Originally Posted by JSuresh :
    The problem I'm having is with the webcam. Neither Skype nor Cheese can even find the webcam. Has anyone else run into this?
    You should try the first things in post #15 (i.e. dmesg and lsmod) to find out if your problem is related to the driver.
    Last edited by winnibob; July 31st, 2008 at 11:24 AM.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 8.10 - 32 bits | 1.6 GHz Pentium dual T2330 | 2 Go RAM | Nvidia 8400M GS | 160GB 5400 RPM HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by winnibob View Post
    Actually, I'm using 2.6.24-19 kernel. 2.6.24-20 is not yet installed on my machine, maybe because I didn't activate hardy-proposed repository.
    Anyway, I had these problems with suspend to ram on all kernels since 2.6.24-16.

About your networking problem, I experienced the same with 2.6.24-16 and 2.6.24-17, and it seemed the problem was in nm-applet. Many people reported that these strange behaviours while connecting disappeared after suppressing NetworkManager for an other soft.
    winnibob, maybe enabling hardy-proposed and keeping at the 2.6.24-19 kernel would take care of those issues for you. I went back to 2.6.24-19 last night and did some tests -- all the networking and suspend/hibernate issues were solved. (In fact I'm not even sure what 2.6.24-20 was supposed to improve.)

Just a thought.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wyth View Post
    winnibob, maybe enabling hardy-proposed and keeping at the 2.6.24-19 kernel would take care of those issues for you. I went back to 2.6.24-19 last night and did some tests -- all the networking and suspend/hibernate issues were solved. (In fact I'm not even sure what 2.6.24-20 was supposed to improve.)

Just a thought.
    Oh, you're right. I think the last full test I did for suspend/hibernate was with kernel 2.6.24-18, and since I used to hibernate with uswsusp. I did some quick test a few minutes ago and everything seems to be allright. Suspend and hibernate both works fine from the "Quit" menu, even with no updates from hardy-proposed repsitory.

Thank you for pointing this.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 8.10 - 32 bits | 1.6 GHz Pentium dual T2330 | 2 Go RAM | Nvidia 8400M GS | 160GB 5400 RPM HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by winnibob View Post
    Solution for the webcam :

Someone wrote a patch for upside-down image problem from UVC webcam. You'll find a howto to install it on this page :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=838210

I found it on this thread :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=561433
    Ok, so I tried the patch(s) given in the guide, and was eventually able to compile and install the patched kernel module, which made me happy at first, but when I tried to actually use the webcam (I.e.: I opened up cheese), it completely froze the system. It's the kind of behavior I would expect if I loaded a driver for the wrong device, but I don't know. The webcam isn't that important to me (I never use it), so I don't really care about getting it to work again.
    Visit my blog! -> tuxrant.blogspot.com
    Help fix my bugs! Bug #251142 & Bug#255393.

.evets, Ubuntard #23275

Beans

Just wanted to update setting up 32 bit Gutsy:

Hard Disk Load Cycle Error: I was in fact getting this error which was overworking my harddrive. I found a working fix here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...46&postcount=2

Sound: Thanks a bunch for everyone's help here, wyth's instructions work perfectly. Make sure to add the "options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-ms7195-dig" line to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    Then open volume control (right click the speaker icon), go to preferences, and enable center, surround, and LFE.

The sound worked immediately but then I was having troubles with sound on reboot. What worked for me, as pointed out earlier in the thread was to run alsamixer (just type alsamixer in the command line) and move to the right until you get to channels, change this to 6ch. Now the sound is beautiful.

I do NOT have the problem where LFE and center are muted on reboot, however I am having the issue where these channels are not muted by plugging in headphones. However a script could probably fix this (does anyone have one? I'm still a nub), but really it's not a big deal to just mute the two channels and enjoy the sound

I was originally apprehensive about moving from a windows power user to being a ubuntu newbie but with all this support I'm really enjoying the new awesomeness of my ideapad. Thanks a lot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just wanted to report on my roll-back to the 2.6.24-19 kernel, which has taken care of the suspend/hibernate kernel panic, the wireless connection issues, and now I just learned it took care of another issue I was having -- the screen dimming every time I played a video.

Something's screwy with 2.6.24-20.
    Last edited by wyth; August 3rd, 2008 at 02:52 PM.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by wyth View Post
    Just wanted to report on my roll-back to the 2.6.24-19 kernel, which has taken care of the suspend/hibernate kernel panic, the wireless connection issues, and now I just learned it took care of another issue I was having -- the screen dimming every time I played a video.

Something's screwy with 2.6.24-20.
    Ya, see this is why I keep going back and forth on the "Is the backligh a Kernel problem?" I am running a genaric 2.26.25-ARCH kernel. I have said before that it dims on VLC boot but not all the way and only the first time. I would not be suprized if a lot of these settings could be fixed by changing setting in a custom Kernel build.

Note.. On my angry move from KDE I pased through Gnome2 and it didn't dim my backlight on boot. I didn't stay there long enugh to do some more tests.

ALSO, I booted into Ubuntu7.10 live CD and the max bright setting in there is 15 NOT 10. So, this makes sents if the Brightness bar in KDE was reporting max bright at 67%. 8/15 is 67% 8/10 is 80%..... So, this talk about how it should be 10 is wrong it "should be" 15.

Note: Off topic but OpenBox kicks***

Note: If you are using a intel X3100 graficx card and don't want to mess everything up by running Compiz but still want to have the 3D desktop effects when changing desktops youcan use 3ddesktop

Ubuntu
    sudo apget 3ddesktop
    Archlinux
    sudo pacman -S 3ddesktop
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HunterThomson; August 5th, 2008 at 01:50 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi, thanks for all the help you guys have provide here, its helped me with my lenovo y510, and its awsome, ok well my question is about the bios update, i updated the bios via vista de own on the lenovo web page, so i dont need to update for my ubuntu partition right? once i updated it will remaind that no matter what SO i ran, or how many times i format right? thanks for all the help wyth and HunterTompson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

BIOS and CMOS What They Are
    What Flashing the BIOS Is

Quote Originally Posted by azteca_04 View Post
    Hi, thanks for all the help you guys have provide here, its helped me with my lenovo y510, and its awsome, ok well my question is about the bios update, i updated the bios via vista de own on the lenovo web page, so i dont need to update for my ubuntu partition right? once i updated it will remaind that no matter what SO i ran, or how many times i format right? thanks for all the help wyth and HunterTompson
    Yes, This that is corect. You do not have to flash your BIOS agin. The BIOS is not on the HDD it is on the System ROM chip.

On your motherboard there are two small chips that are needed to start your computer. They are cald the system ROM "Read only memory" and CMOS "Complementary metal-oxide semiconductor". The system ROM is the special memory chip that stores the BIOS "basic input/output system" programs. The BIOS is the collective name for the hundreds of tiny porgrams that tell your computer everything from what the time is to what kind of computer it is and the CMOS setup utility. The CMOS setup utility is the porgram that is running when you hit the F2 at the POST screen. The CMOS memory chip containes saved information that you selected in the CMOS setup utility such as the boot order.

When you turn on the power to your computer there is a wire that is connected to your CPU cald "power good wire". This tells your CPU to wake up. It then talks to the ROM and runs the BIOS programs to find out what hardware is connected to the PC and runs self diognostic tests. This is cald the POST "Power on self test". The POST will also look for Bootable drives in the order spesifid by the CMOS settings i.e. the GRUB bootloader on the Harddrive. If all go's well it will then give control of the coputer over to the GRUB bootloader wich will intern give control over to the OS that you choose.

The BIOS programs will be coppyed over to the RAM "Random acess memory" to preform basic tasks. One of these programs controls and maps the RAM. This is the program that had a Bug in it in the older vertion the the BIOS on all of the Lenovo Ideapad laptops. So, that is why it was taged a "Critical Update". It mite have updated other things but that is the only one Lenovo said was updated.

In the beginning the only way to change any of the BIOS programs was to change the ROM chip itself. But then there was the advent of CMOS wich alowd to save some settings in a safe way. The CMOS is volital though it requiers voltige to retain memory. To give it this voltige there is a CMOS battery. If your clock starts to loose time or every time you start you computer the CMOS setup utility settings are back to the defalt settings your CMOS battery is dead and needs to me changed. BUT now there is new system ROM cips that use Flash memory. They are cald FlashBIOS chips or FlashROM-BIOS chips. These chips can be written to inorter to update hardware compatability or fix Bugs. Changeing the BIOS programs on a FlashROM chip is cald "Flashing the BIOS".

Now that you know that the BIOS programs on the system ROM chip are the cridical software needed to start you compuer you should also know that if something gose wrong wile Flashing the BIOS your compuer will not turn on. So, when you flash your BIOS make sure you know what you are doing and DO NOT INTERUPT THE FLASHING PROSSESS.

Dring the POST if the compuer will not start and only Beeps at you or prints an error coad on the screen. Then the POST has dettected an error with one or more componets of the hardware. The error codes are some what standerdized such as 100-199 are motherboard errors, 200-299 are keyboard errors, 300-399 are RAM errors. You can find a list of the error coads (beeps and #'s) on the computer makers web sight or on the Mother board makers web sight.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; August 9th, 2008 at 11:39 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by evets25 View Post
    Ok, so I tried the patch(s) given in the guide, and was eventually able to compile and install the patched kernel module, which made me happy at first, but when I tried to actually use the webcam (I.e.: I opened up cheese), it completely froze the system. It's the kind of behavior I would expect if I loaded a driver for the wrong device, but I don't know. The webcam isn't that important to me (I never use it), so I don't really care about getting it to work again.
    I get the exact same thing. I would like to get the webcam working; hopefully someone can figure it out.

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast